• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

NGD: Solar S1.6APB! NAD?

• Thread starter BlueX
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BlueX

Reaction score
Any suggestions from the forum on new amp, and cab?

My “traditional” gear (HH LP, HSS Strat, and SV20H/SV212 stack) has got younger company: Solar Guitars S1.6APB with active Fishman Fluence Modern PU’s and Evertune bridge. The guitar has mahogany body, neck-trough ply neck, ebony fretboard, stainless steel frets, etc. The finish is called Poplar Burst Matte.

I have been thinking some time about getting a more “modern” guitar, to play more modern sound. My traditional gear, together with some pedals, gives me the sound I want for playing ‘60s and early ‘70s style rock and blues. There are, however, some good guitar music also from the ‘80s until today (including metal and grunge), so I want to expand my playing. I am not trying to copy sound exactly, more get the right style and then tweak to my liking.

For new amp I have looked at DSL20HR. Another alternative, or additional future purchase, which looks interesting is the PRS MT 15 amp. Cabs like Marshall MR1936 with G12/75, or MX212AR with Seventy Eighty, might fit? I have also looked at Mesa and Orange cabs, but they often include Celestion Vintage speakers. Maybe they will not sound so different compare to my SV212?

I would welcome suggestions on good additions for amp and cab, besides the SV20H/SV212, which is not “more of the same”.

I do not play in a band, I play at home in a dedicated room in the basement of my own house. I can play pretty loud, and I do not need to move things around all the time (although I prefer 2x12 or 1x12 over 4x12). Price limit per unit is USD 1000, but preferably in the USD 500 range.

Tres amigos L.JPG Solar S1-6APB 1 front L.JPG Solar S1-6APB 2 back L.JPG Solar S1-6APB 3 detail upper 1L.JPG

Last edited:

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
For new amp I have looked at DSL20HR.
MX212AR with Seventy Eighty
There are, however, some good guitar music also from the ‘80s until today (including metal and grunge)

If you're looking for some metal/grunge, I'll say that's what I like my DSL20RH & 2x MX112s for.
Compared to my other amps, this one gets nasty without any need to juice the front end. (I put a chorus in the loop, 'cuz I like a little chorus)
I even like the Seventy-80s for that gritty. heavy gain sound.
Here's a pic of my DSL rig with the Purple Haze.

20210127_204246-2.jpg

Edit: sorry I got off track, HNGD, nice looking guitar!

Last edited:

BlueX

Reaction score
If you're looking for some metal/grunge, I'll say that's what I like my DSL20RH & 2x MX112s for.
Compared to my other amps, this one gets nasty without any need to juice the front end. (I put a chorus in the loop, 'cuz I like a little chorus)
I even like the Seventy-80s for that gritty. heavy gain sound.
Here's a pic of my DSL rig with the Purple Haze.

View attachment 85240

Edit: sorry I got off track, HNGD, nice looking guitar!
Thanks! Building a stack of two 1x12 is an interesting idea. Would you loose any bass compared to a 2x12 cab? Your description of the DSL20HR/MX112 stack is what I am looking for.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Building a stack of two 1x12 is an interesting idea. Would you loose any bass compared to a 2x12 cab? Your description of the DSL20HR/MX112 stack is what I am looking for.

I don't have a comparison to tell if there's a difference in bass, my 212A on the Origin has different speakers (V30s).
I did the mini stack just for how it looks - I wanted to match the old Haze mini stack I already had.
And new, the MX212s are $150 less than 2 MX112s, I got mine used and rationalized the cost justification in my warped GAS decision making process.