NGD Tom Anderson Guitarworks Pro Am

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
I bought this Tom Anderson Guitarworks Pro Am back in May (after a debacle with a Charvel CS San Dimas), have played it almost daily, and I am STILL in the honeymoon phase.

It's a 40th year anniversary production model, but not a 40th Anniversary limited edition model, though I haven't seen another Pro Am in this color or specs. TAGs are small batch and pretty individualistic for the most part.

Alder body in Olympc white, "caramel" maple neck, blackheart fretboard, 25 1/2" scale, 1 11/16" nut width, even taper neck back shape, HC1 & HC2+ pickups, 5 way p/u selector (3 positions are series), push pull coil tap tone control, German Floyd Rose Original. Very light and resonant guitar. I have two guitars by Suhr in my collection and they are no longer seeing regular use...And Suhr produces fantastic guitars in their own right. (yes, I know TA & JS are good friends)

The only changes I have made is to put Schaller S-Lock strap locks on it and replaced the original bar assembly with a Floyd Rose push in arm assembly (much nicer, no wobble)

It is an extremely comfortable guitar to play, and for a guy like me that has had wrist and hand injuries to both hands it allows me to play longer with no fatigue in my hands. The TAG "A-Wedgie" 2 bolt neck joint is rock solid. That thing ain't ever gonna budge. The light weight is fantastic too for me considering my chronic back issues. Some folks say they don't care for TAG pickups and call them sterile, but I find these to be clear and articulate and equally suited for clean, cleanish, rock, or even high gain. Maybe the clarity is the problem for some, but I like them a lot. I also like how the grain on the back of the neck is centered. I'm sure it was a happy accident, but I think it's cool.

Anyways, here it is.

tomanderson.jpgTA2.jpg

Last edited:

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
It took me a minute to figure it out...

I saw a guitar, just earlier today w/ the 2 neck screws... I read the above about Charvel, & was thinking that this was some sort of Charvel, but, since I saw that one earlier earlier, I know what TAG is...

congrat's for finding an ergonomic guitar for your hands...

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
Thanks DOD! Yeah, TAG is short for Tom Anderson Guitarworks. Some abbreviate it even further to just TA. It's great for the back too at 6.9 lbs.

I'm actually glad and feel lucky the Charvel CS I wanted didn't work out because this is a much better instrument in every way, IMO. More ergonomic, lighter, and more attention to detail, and more versatile tonal options.

Here's a pick of the Charvel I had to send back due to a faulty pickup. Yeah, faulty pickup, not a grounding issue. It came with EVH Wolfgang pickups and a three way switch with no coil tap.

charvel.jpg

I really did want this guitar to work out and was bummed to send it back, but I don't feel bad about it at all anymore.

Here's a picture of the A-Wedgie neck joint taken apart. You can see how the wedge makes it impossible for the neck to shift side to side at all, increases surface contact between neck & dody, and the to offset machine inserts are more then enough to keep it stable. I hope you get a chance to get one in your hands to check out. They're not cheap, but it's a cry once buy once kind of thing. When I said my Suhrs don't get played anymore I meant it. The TAG isn't just a little better, it's a LOT better - and I didn't think that posiible.

awedgie.jpg

Last edited:

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought this Tom Anderson Guitarworks Pro Am back in May (after a debacle with a Charvel CS San Dimas), have played it almost daily, and I am STILL in the honeymoon phase.

It's a 40th year anniversary production model, but not a 40th Anniversary limited edition model, though I haven't seen another Pro Am in this color or specs. TAGs are small batch and pretty individualistic for the most part.

Alder body in Olympc white, "caramel" maple neck, blackheart fretboard, 25 1/2" scale, 1 11/16" nut width, even taper neck back shape, HC1 & HC2+ pickups, 5 way p/u selector (3 positions are series), push pull coil tap tone control, German Floyd Rose Original. Very light and resonant guitar. I have two guitars by Suhr in my collection and they are no longer seeing regular use...And Suhr produces fantastic guitars in their own right. (yes, I know TA & JS are good friends)

The only changes I have made is to put Schaller S-Lock strap locks on it and replaced the original bar assembly with a Floyd Rose push in arm assembly (much nicer, no wobble)

It is an extremely comfortable guitar to play, and for a guy like me that has had wrist and hand injuries to both hands it allows me to play longer with no fatigue in my hands. The TAG "A-Wedgie" 2 bolt neck joint is rock solid. That thing ain't ever gonna budge. The light weight is fantastic too for me considering my chronic back issues. Some folks say they don't care for TAG pickups and call them sterile, but I find these to be clear and articulate and equally suited for clean, cleanish, rock, or even high gain. Maybe the clarity is the problem for some, but I like them a lot. I also like how the grain on the back of the neck is centered. I'm sure it was a happy accident, but I think it's cool.

Anyways, here it is.

View attachment 158875View attachment 158876
That's a sweet looking guitar, I love white guitars. Congrats!