• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

No input from jack, fx return gives sound.

• Thread starter Drake
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drake

Reaction score
I have clearly blown v3 and v4, in the preamp. they don’t glow. I replaced them, they glow, but still no sound from the input jack. As stated, I get sound thru the Fx return. Any ideas? Seems like a little more than swapping some tubes. Thanks.

PelliX

Reaction score
I have clearly blown v3 and v4, in the preamp. they don’t glow. I replaced them, they glow, but still no sound from the input jack. As stated, I get sound thru the Fx return. Any ideas? Seems like a little more than swapping some tubes. Thanks.

Might help if you actually outlined the model of the amp, what may have happened etc.

My first thought is how about V1 and 2? If 3 and 4 died, it stands to reason that perhaps 1 and 2 had a bad day, too, though the filament survived.

A little more backstory and info is required here.

Drake

Reaction score
It’s a three channel 100 watt amp with el34s and 12ax7s, fx loop. Using 4 CM. No front end, only fx return sound. Thanks.

PelliX

Reaction score
It’s a three channel 100 watt amp with el34s and 12ax7s, fx loop. Using 4 CM. No front end, only fx return sound. Thanks.

Ah, I see. It's probably going to be a problem with the component. The one inside the chassis. Or a valve. :yesway:

[...]

I'm guessing maybe a TSL? Perhaps post in the Workbench Telepathy section, they're already anticipating your thread.

Drake

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I enjoyed all of your jovial sarcastic comments. If you can’t be helpful….go ahead and comment here as well. Hmmm filters, capacitors. Transformers. When this does that, this happens. Wow…..what forum is this? Jerks anonymous?

uhhh my car has a dead battery……what kind of car do you have? I need more information. Thanks guys….all the best.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you can’t be helpful….go ahead and comment here as well.
If you can't say what amp you have, what kind of help do you expect?
Positive reinforcement?
Ok, I'm sure it can be fixed, whatever it might be.

If you're losing multiple tubes at once, I'd suspect it's a more serious problem than bad tubes, but we may never know.
Best of luck with your issues..., and the amp.

PelliX

Reaction score
uhhh my car has a dead battery……what kind of car do you have? I need more information. Thanks guys….all the best.

Strangely enough, different types of cars appear to have different types of batteries, different fuses, tires, etc. Your current inqiury is more akin to "Hi, my lights come on but the car won't start.".

Wow…..what forum is this? Jerks anonymous?

Certainly not! ...we have usernames to identify each jerk, thank you very much.

Let's try a different tangent, as I feel words are not working in your favor; how about some gutshots and a picture of the front, please? :photos:

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America
Strangely enough, different types of cars appear to have different types of batteries, different fuses, tires, etc. Your current inqiury is more akin to "Hi, my lights come on but the car won't start.".

Certainly not! ...we have usernames to identify each jerk, thank you very much.

Let's try a different tangent, as I feel words are not working in your favor; how about some gutshots and a picture of the front, please? :photos:
I feel you are asking far way too much. :hmm:

Last edited:

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
sorry Drake, but, there's an old saying...

ask a ½ assed question, get ½ assed answers...

There is no proof that you blew tubes V3 & 4... Many times pre-amp tubes do not glow, but are working fine, as designed...

The only thing that you've stated that are to be taken as fact are:

it's a 3 channel 100 watt amp
it takes 12AX7 & EL34 tubes
the amp works, when you plug in to the effects return (power section works)
the amp produces no sound when you plug into the guitar input jack (pre-amp not working)

other than that, nobody knows anything...

have you done a visual inspection of the boards, to see if there's any signs of carbon/soot? anything look like it blew up?

If you want help, you have to be willing to help those who want to help you. If you just get upset that they are asking questions, then I guess just take it in to a tech & let them look at it & charge you blindly for whatever they tell you is wrong w/ it...

You could start by answering what amp it is... Is it a TSL100? if so, what year?

did the amp just die suddenly? or was there symptoms prior? Did something happen, like a bang, pop or fizz?

Maybe take pictures of the pc board & post them. Make sure they are well lit & clear...