• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

East TN and Western NC devastated.

• Thread starter DirtySteve
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Is anyone aware of what's going on in the Appalachians? I don't know if they're talking about it anywhere. No one I know in Florida (or anywhere) has tried to contact me to see if I'm ok so I assume they don't know what's happened here. After the Hurricane made landfall in Florida Thursday night it made a beeline straight up to TN. The center eye parked right over Knoxville and to the east the mountains in TN and NC got hammered with rain from the stronger side of the system. It had already been raining steady and non-stop since Tuesday afternoon and then the storm came. The rain totals broke every record ever recorded. We got more than a years worth of rain in 3 days. Across the border in NC they got over 30".

Almost very road is washed out in the mountains. Streams, creeks, rivers all flooded and washed out everything in their path. Dams over flowed. There are entire towns completely washed away. There are still places with no power, no cell service and no way to get to some of these towns. There are still hundreds of people missing and trapped with no way in or out and no way to contact anyone. They have no way of getting supplies, gas, food and water and no one knows when they will.

I got lucky where I live, we didn't even lose power, but just a few miles in any direction and it's destruction. There are literally no roads open across the TN/NC border, interstates and all major highways are all closed because of washouts, bridge collapses, mud slides and who knows what. I know it was bad in FL and GA along the path, but it was much worse up here and we are only just now starting to see just how bad it is.

Are you guys hearing/seeing anything about this?

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you guys hearing/seeing anything about this?
Glad to hear you were spared from any personal damage.
The news I watch and read is full of stories about all the places hit by the storm as it moved inland.
The amount of destruction is amazing.

TXOldRedRocker

Classic Rock or die! -- Patrick Henry
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I have paid close attention. We have family and friends in Tallahassee, in NC and eastern half of TN. It's cataclysmic. Entire towns wiped out. Landslides. Bridges gone. Highways washed away.

I did not know your location. You are in Western NC or far Eastern TN? I hope you and yours are all safe and sound.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, I have paid close attention. We have family and friends in Tallahassee, in NC and eastern half of TN. It's cataclysmic. Entire towns wiped out. Landslides. Bridges gone. Highways washed away.

I did not know your location. You are in Western NC or far Eastern TN? I hope you and yours are all safe and sound.
I'm in the tri-cities area of north east TN. Right at halfway between Johnson City and Kingsport.

3qtClGC.png

Purgasound

Rocker, Roller
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been checking in on it. North Carolina is a second home to me. I'm in central Virginia. Asheville is one of my favorite places to go. What's going down is heart breaking.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been checking in on it. North Carolina is a second home to me. I'm in central Virginia. Asheville is one of my favorite places to go. What's going down is heart breaking.

There are certain places up here that I've known all my life, places where we took family vacations when I was a kid that are along a river or stream that have just always been here and are almost sacred to me and now they're probably gone. It's hard to comprehend.

jmp45

Reaction score
Glad you are ok Steve. What a catastrophe with little to no help coming from DC. Way more devastating than Katrina. Thousands are missing or dead from reports I've seen.

Best top of your tanks guys.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I just saw where the military is now making air drops by helicopter to areas that are cut off. Awesome.
I did see it on the news and contacted my buddy in your town and he said everything was alright in your area but devastated outside around it, at least I knew you were alright.

TXOldRedRocker

Classic Rock or die! -- Patrick Henry
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just saw where the military is now making air drops by helicopter to areas that are cut off. Awesome.

Not only that, but on the news last night, they showed an airport where private helicopter pilots that own their own helicopters have volunteered to bring in supplies. Volunteering their time, fuel costs, everything.

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
The eye came within a few miles of me in south central GA. Initially it was tracked for us to be on the east side but it slid right and we got the west side. Still got rough. It's very wooded in my area so we'd had a mess if it'd came like they had Initially forecasted. Just devastation just a few communities over and east and north. Family in Augusta that are still without power and will be for weeks. My mother grew up in Boone, NC and it's just terrible up that way.

We had one stay together through my area around 4 years ago and we got the right side. All night long it was WUMP.....WUMP of trees falling. It's the most damage I've ever had to deal with and I've lived around here almost 57 years but that was nothing like this.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
tbh, I hadn't been watching too closely.

I have a couple friends in FL, who usually takes the brunt. It seems like that same area as last time got hit pretty hard, but, most of FL wasn't hit too bad, I guess that area from Ft Meyers to Tallahassee, I hears St Pete was hit pretty bad, but mostly by water surge?

Then, I heard about NC... That's on the other side of the peninsula & sheer devastation...

I had no idea that it hit inland as far as TN, etc., on the scale you're saying.

definitely praying for you all,

FL are pretty well prepared for this type of thing, but, NC apparently not. They don't usually get hit like this, as usually the storms peter out as they travel north & into cooler waters, but, there's no way to prepare for something like this, if you've never experienced it.

The massive amounts o rain & wind you guys, in TN are getting is just crazy too.

Here, where I'm at, getting a year's worth or rain in 24 hrs, is only getting like 6" of rain... & they say that, that's catastrophic... it causes some problems & inconvenience, but, nothing like 24-50" all dumped on you, like you guys are experiencing...

Hopefully you're stocked up on bottled water & either canned, or frozen food + whatever essentials you can get... Don't rely on help, you are your only guaranteed help, so fend for yourself, & if you can, help others who might need it... but, make sure you're set 1st, before you help others... This looks like Katrina on steroids, so, you might be in for the long haul...

Last edited:

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
It moved through way faster than they usually do. It hauled ass and never had time to dissipate so it still had 100mph winds well into GA. Plus it met a front that was already giving heavy rains so it had that to feed on as well.

People who maybe live in other parts of the country don't have experience with storms like this. Even if the winds aren't like this one the rain can be like it just won't stop. We had one stall on us here in 94 and middle GA just got drowned. That was the hardest and most sustained rain I've ever seen. And it just kept coming down. Dan Rather barely mentioned it in national news.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
This is an example of what is common in towns all over the Appalachians. This isn't over, even the local news stations are showing rescued dog stories instead of showing the destruction. There are still people completely shut off and they're finding bodies in the debris they're cleaning up that no one is talking about. Unbelievable.

Before and after, Chimney Rock, NC. These shots are from different angles but you can see the sign on the right and the cupola on top of the hotel and the remnants of the sidewalk and grass in the bottom right to see that it's the same place. The road and everything on the left is gone. This happened in seconds...

d0qTVU0.png

Last edited:

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
If you draw a line through GA on up through Tennessee using Macon as the center you pretty much have devastating results east of that on out and up. Even Augusta GA had 100mph winds. My brother and sister in law live near Augusta National which got hammered. They just got power back on.

Those hills and mountains north of there into North and South Carolina just channeled all that water.

I'm still cleaning up little things and yesterday I noticed the rocks I'd put around my drain pipes are pushed away. The black corrugated ones buried that come off your gutters. The rocks are not huge but have enough weight they keep my dogs out of them. You could tell the water built up such pressure they just exploded out of the way. I was kind of surprised by that.

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
This is an example of what is common in towns all over the Appalachians. This isn't over, even the local news stations are showing rescued dog stories instead of showing the destruction. There are still people completely shut off and they're finding bodies in the debris they're cleaning up that no one is talking about. Unbelievable.
Funny, our local news covered the aftermath some last night. It was on the national news too.
Seems like most of the coverage is for NC though.
It's crazy how widespread the damage is. I heard most hurricane deaths since Katrina but that seemed much more localized- iirc.

cccc

Reaction score
Not only that, but on the news last night, they showed an airport where private helicopter pilots that own their own helicopters have volunteered to bring in supplies. Volunteering their time, fuel costs, everything.
You forgot to add the part where local authorities threatened to jail the independent helicopter operators attempting to help . Couldn't believe it , what a disgrace . The mainstream media won't report on that but the helicopter operators are posting all over YouTube about it .

cccc

Reaction score
Glad you are ok Steve. What a catastrophe with little to no help coming from DC. Way more devastating than Katrina. Thousands are missing or dead from reports I've seen.

Best top of your tanks guys.
Apparently the money being sent is nowhere remotely close to being adequate . People are outraged that the majority of the money has gone to Ukraine and to help the migrant communities .

Latest posts