Noise In Dsl40cr

ptrjmslvn

Reaction score
I returned a DSL40 to sweetwater because of a noise issue. They replaced it with the DSL40cr which I like even more - but same noise issue.

With all of the knobs @ 0 and no insert there is a erratic fuzzy farty sound. The only dials which seems to affect the tone of the noise is the presence/resonance. Even then, it's not better or worse, just changes the tone. Nothing else has any effect.

I can't believe I can't find anyone else w/ this issue. I also can't believe I am unlucky enough to have had 2 shipped to me w/ the same weird issue. Anyone have any idea what this could be???

LCW

Reaction score
Do you have the noise even on the Clean channel? Or do you have it on OD2 cranked?

Mine is dead quite on either Clean or Crunch on the Classic channel.

Maybe it's your wall power?

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
Agreed. My DSL40C is shockingly quiet on the Classic channel. More gain adds more hiss like all amps/pedals. Still not bad at all.

As mentioned, could be dirty power, or it could also be radio interference. My tablet can add a tiny bit of noise. I'd also check cables/pedals/etc.

ptrjmslvn

Reaction score
Not the wall power. It's the same in any outlet in 2 diff buildings. Channel makes no difference. The only thing that varies the tone is the presence/resonance knobs and it only changes the tone, not add or subtract amount of noise. Also - no other amp I own does this - same power supply. No pedals. No insert even. I thought it could have been the speaker so I ran it through a different cab. Same noise.

There is typical line hum when the volume/gain increases. Not what I'm talking about. This exists regardless of any volume at all.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you tried different preamp tubes? Especially V1?

LCW

Reaction score
Odd that you’d have gotten 2 duds in a row. Maybe return and get from a different seller (GC, AMS, ???)

ptrjmslvn

Reaction score
Odd that you’d have gotten 2 duds in a row. Maybe return and get from a different seller (GC, AMS, ???)
Yes. Extremely odd. I went to GC and played one to confirm that this is not just a weird characteristic of these amps in general. Sounded great. Bought another. Scratching my head. I'll prob. pick one up at GC this week where I can play it in the store. If I then bring it home and notice the issue, I will promptly let you all know that it must be a problem with power in home and that I am indeed an idiot.

DannyB

Reaction score
Wasn’t there another DSL that had a funny noise issue? It turned out to be a cable cluster that was run too close to the Reverb board?

Jhoe

Reaction score
Try to check the filter cap from the supply using multi meter. i think the current was not well fine filtered that produce noise on the amp

Antmax

Reaction score
Wasn’t there another DSL that had a funny noise issue? It turned out to be a cable cluster that was run too close to the Reverb board?

Yeah DSL 5. The wires weren't always routed the same. Sometimes the main wire cluster would go too close to the FX loop board, or the FX loop wire would be tied to the rest of the wires including the main power lines. It was an easy fix and only needed about 1/2 inch offset of the wires to fix the buzz. Mine wasn't too bad, but did it and it still helped.

Another thing to check is, if your amp is next to a loaded AC outlet, make sure the FX loop cables don't go too close. I had my DSL5c on a sideboard with the FX loop cables hanging down the back over the AC outlet. Loads of noise.

My study has no ground, and the amp is noisier than I'd like. Been thinking of getting a new DSL or Origin, hopefully one with a lower noise floor. So a little apprehensive that your having similar sounding problems.

ptrjmslvn

Reaction score
Yeah DSL 5. The wires weren't always routed the same. Sometimes the main wire cluster would go too close to the FX loop board, or the FX loop wire would be tied to the rest of the wires including the main power lines. It was an easy fix and only needed about 1/2 inch offset of the wires to fix the buzz. Mine wasn't too bad, but did it and it still helped.

Another thing to check is, if your amp is next to a loaded AC outlet, make sure the FX loop cables don't go too close. I had my DSL5c on a sideboard with the FX loop cables hanging down the back over the AC outlet. Loads of noise.

My study has no ground, and the amp is noisier than I'd like. Been thinking of getting a new DSL or Origin, hopefully one with a lower noise floor. So a little apprehensive that your having similar sounding problems.
Thanks - fx loop is no factor. Loved the sound/potential control-ability of this too. Pretty bummed but probably going to have to throw in the towel on this project. Experience tells me to run after this much screwing around...

Baretta6

Reaction score
I returned a DSL40 to sweetwater because of a noise issue. They replaced it with the DSL40cr which I like even more - but same noise issue.

With all of the knobs @ 0 and no insert there is a erratic fuzzy farty sound. The only dials which seems to affect the tone of the noise is the presence/resonance. Even then, it's not better or worse, just changes the tone. Nothing else has any effect.

I can't believe I can't find anyone else w/ this issue. I also can't believe I am unlucky enough to have had 2 shipped to me w/ the same weird issue. Anyone have any idea what this could be???
I had the same issue with the DSL40CR,
Sweetwater sent me another one and this one is fine.
First amp had a build date of 12/17 , the replacement build date is 01/18.(serial# tag on back has the month and year) Curious on what date your amp was manufactured

SG-Rocker

Reaction score
Bit of a necropost but I recently bought a DSL40CR - dated 01-18 and it also has the same noise.

It's an intermittent rumble / flutter. Kinda like gently tapping / rubbing a fingernail on the speaker cone.

Does it in high and low power mode, turning volume, gain and tone knobs makes no difference.
Presence and resonance do affect the noise.

Swapped Tungsols in the preamp - no change
Swapped Mullards in the power - no change
Plugged into a B cab of G12-65 reissues - no change.

Hudman_1

Reaction score
I had the same problem with a DSL 20CR I received from zZounds last week. It was a B stock model. They are exchanging it for a new one for the same price. I’m hoping the new one is quiet.