Non trem spaced humbucker in Strat

• Thread starter wolf5150
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wolf5150

Reaction score
I totally messed up when placing my order with the Duncan Custom Shop, I forgot to specify trem spacing. What a dick.
My lovely new pickup arrived and I realised my error.

I'd planned to put this in my Warmoth Strat but now I'm unsure of the results.
Duncan say the magnets are the same length in both types so do you think I'll notice any tonal difference if I go ahead and install it ?

Vinsanitizer

*** Canceled ***
VIP Member
Reaction score
I used a regular spaced humbucker in a my '72 Strat reissue for years and never had a problem. Worst case you just raise the poles that don't line up. Lots of times I've seen Gibsons where a pickup was off-center and the poles didn't line up exactly anyway. Try it and see, unless it voids your return policy.

wolf5150

Reaction score
I used a regular spaced humbucker in a my '72 Strat reissue for years and never had a problem. Worst case you just raise the poles that don't line up. Lots of times I've seen Gibsons where a pickup was off-center and the poles didn't line up exactly anyway. Try it and see, unless it voids your return policy.

There's no return policy with Custom Shop orders.
Can't decide if I risk fitting it or admit the mistake and sell it.
The value lessens if its been installed.

I'm such a dick. :scratch:

Murray

Reaction score
Not as bad as all that. Magnets are the same size & sit under the poles. Pole spacing is different. Trem spacing is something like 52.6mm & std is more like 49mm (approximately...I can never remember & am too lazy to go measure). Rule of thumb is less than or equal to 50mm string spacing (E-E ctrs) std is good. Over 50mm = Trem spacing. But it so small a difference that you will not be bothered.

Look at it this way: even with SD Strat 'sets', all 3 pickups have the same spacing. A lot of times that'll make things line up at the bridge but get a bit off at the neck. Problem? Nope. Tons of instruments out here that don't even know trem spacing exists.

When you say Custom Shop, do you mean you had one wound to your specs? Just curious.

wolf5150

Reaction score
Not as bad as all that. Magnets are the same size & sit under the poles. Pole spacing is different. Trem spacing is something like 52.6mm & std is more like 49mm (approximately...I can never remember & am too lazy to go measure). Rule of thumb is less than or equal to 50mm string spacing (E-E ctrs) std is good. Over 50mm = Trem spacing. But it so small a difference that you will not be bothered.

Look at it this way: even with SD Strat 'sets', all 3 pickups have the same spacing. A lot of times that'll make things line up at the bridge but get a bit off at the neck. Problem? Nope. Tons of instruments out here that don't even know trem spacing exists.

When you say Custom Shop, do you mean you had one wound to your specs? Just curious.

Single coil pickups have magnetic poles so its a non issue with them.

Yea I ordered a custom version of a JB.
Really angry with myself for missing that one important aspect.

flyinguitars

Reaction score
It will prob sound the same. I'd install it and try it out. If it sounds great keep it. One of my favorite and best sounding guitars is a mismatched warmoth strat that I assembled from spare parts.

wakjob

Reaction score
The magnetic field doesn't care. It will work just fine.

But... yeah... that pole piece not lining up with the strings thing drives me banana's too.

Last edited:

Murray

Reaction score
Single coil pickups have magnetic poles so its a non issue with them.

Yea I ordered a custom version of a JB.
Really angry with myself for missing that one important aspect.

My mistake for not paying attention about the single coil. Failed reading & comprehension, too old & should just STFU. Assumed HSS, not thinking of single sized JB. That's what you got, right?
Measuring the SD SSL's that I have, they all measure the same as the Trembucker spacing (@52mm). Same with 2 other Fender sets I have sitting around. That leaves a wider spacing at the neck as opposed to narrow at the bridge. Looks a bit off but works fine/sounds fine.
The bridge stagger is going to make the smaller spacing more pronounced. Still don't think that will be a problem.

Hope it works out for you.

Vinsanitizer

*** Canceled ***
VIP Member
Reaction score
I bet EVH didn't have F-spaced pickups back in the day. I never noticed a problem on my old Strat.

wolf5150

Reaction score
My mistake for not paying attention about the single coil. Failed reading & comprehension, too old & should just STFU. Assumed HSS, not thinking of single sized JB. That's what you got, right?
Measuring the SD SSL's that I have, they all measure the same as the Trembucker spacing (@52mm). Same with 2 other Fender sets I have sitting around. That leaves a wider spacing at the neck as opposed to narrow at the bridge. Looks a bit off but works fine/sounds fine.
The bridge stagger is going to make the smaller spacing more pronounced. Still don't think that will be a problem.

Hope it works out for you.

You need to go back and read my question properly.

Vinsanitizer

*** Canceled ***
VIP Member
Reaction score
wont affect anything but your OCD.

wqwlHFz.jpg

wolf5150

Reaction score
I've emailed Duncan for their opinion but they're notoriously slow to respond.

Murray

Reaction score
Yes, because you started talking about single coils while I'm asking about humbuckers.
Do you not know the difference ?

Relax. Your thread stated Humbuckers, then you posted: "Single coil pickups have magnetic poles so its a non issue with them." My confusion.
Are the pole pieces of a HB magnetized? Do they perhaps conduct from the magnets underneath the coils, whereas with singles the poles are the magnets? Right? And one has 'issues' and the other not? OK.

wolf5150

Reaction score
Relax. Your thread stated Humbuckers, then you posted: "SingIe coil pickups have magnetic poles so its a non issue with them." My confusion.
Are the pole pieces of a HB magnetized? Do they perhaps conduct from the magnets underneath the coils, whereas with singles the poles are the magnets? Right? And one has 'issues' and the other not? OK.

What the hell are you talking about ? If you cant see why you're talking nonsense then i can't be bothered explaining any more to you so please do me a favour and stay out of my thread ok.

Latest posts