NPD! DOA…. Well #&@%!!!

• Thread starter Kendall124
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kendall124

Reaction score
Howdy gang,
I purchased a Carvin VLD1 Steve Vai signature preamp pedal from the Official Carvin Audio Store on Reverb.
Dead on arrival. Super bummed. Didn’t really need it, but had a little extra dough kicking around and thought this would be a nice addition to the collection.
Yes, I plugged it in correctly. Let’s just get that out of the way.
Guitar signal goes through when in bypass mode. Hit the on button and nothing. All knobs and buttons fiddled with. Nothing.
I immediately wanted to get a screwdriver and break this bad boy open. Instead, I simply boxed it back up, got onto Reverb and requested a refund. Carvin doesn’t pay shipping on returns. Still waiting for a response.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
they didn't offer a replacement?

that's too bad... I used to do quite a bit of business w/ them, back, in the '80s... but haven't since

They were always pretty good w/ me.

Vinsanitizer

*** Canceled ***
VIP Member
Reaction score
You could have at least checked the switch wiring?

Or, if it's a bad switch, you could probably fix it yourself?

Last edited:

PelliX

Reaction score
You could have at least checked the switch wiring?

Or, if it's a bad switch, you could probably fix it yourself?

That would probably void the warranty. I would have checked the power supply, though. It's got a center pin positive barrel jack, and the PSU is spec'd as 12V, 1A. I would presume it has polarity protection, but I would have checked the output on the PSU.

They are pcb board mounted 12ax7

Yes, not sure where you're going with that. What I do find amusing is that it uses two dual triodes (!) but Carvin describe it as "Preamp Tubes: Two 12AX7 (dual stage)". I wonder whether they only use one triode of each valve?

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
That would probably void the warranty. I would have checked the power supply, though. It's got a center pin positive barrel jack, and the PSU is spec'd as 12V, 1A. I would presume it has polarity protection, but I would have checked the output on the PSU.

Yes, not sure where you're going with that. What I do find amusing is that it uses two dual triodes (!) but Carvin describe it as "Preamp Tubes: Two 12AX7 (dual stage)". I wonder whether they only use one triode of each valve?
I can not see how it would void the warranty to change tubes ?

My guess is is built like a regular pre-amp
as far as gain stages. I bet it gets pretty overdriven.

PelliX

Reaction score
I can not see how it would void the warranty to change tubes ?

Generally if you have to unscrew something like that there's a seal or warranty sticker. Honestly, I'd have cracked it open and taken a look, but I'm also handy with sticker remover and a steam gun.