NPD: Dunlop Band Of Gypsys Fuzz Face Mini

• Thread starter Maggot Brain
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
I've been on a fuzz obsession and saw this locally for for a great price, couldn't pass it up. I've been determined to try to figure out Jimi's true fuzz tone and I wanted to investigate this circuit/pedal.

Ok, so this is not a "Fuzz Face" circuit, it is a Octavio fuzz/driver circuit minus the octave doubler. It is said Roger Mayer created a circuit much like this for Jimi along with many other prototype effects/fuzzes. It's supposedly inspired by the helios mic preamp circuit of Olympic studios. It is suspected that Jimi's red Fuzz Face with white knobs was really this circuit inside.

First off I am extremely impressed with Dunlop's offering. I've steered clear of Dunlop pedals since I began playing guitar. My first couple of pedals were Dunlop and I remember them sounding awful. The design of the "mini" Fuzz Face enclosure is just awesome and I love the modern size.

The Fuzz sounds very similar to a Fuzz Face but with way more boost and a bit more gain. It's texture reminds me of something between Germanium and Silicon and best of all it works with a wah wah. I am now entirely convinced this is the type of fuzz circuit Jimi used late '67 until about 1970 when he started using silicon. I have always had a feeling Jimi wasn't using a true Fuzz Face circuit and I've even elaborated on this here some time ago. I have owned and tried dozens and dozens of Fuzz Face circuit pedals and never felt 100% satisfied... There was always something missing in the character of the fuzzes and I just never felt 100% satisfied. I have read interviews with Roger Mayer where he stated he would make different circuits and just put them into spare Fuzz Face enclosures. That he would make different fuzz circuits for Jimi and/or for specific songs. Claiming sometimes using a custom fuzz circuit then a driver circuit before the fuzz and a shaping circuit after the fuzz to sculpt the sound... So there is a good chance a lot of what we believe is a Fuzz Face on Hendrix tracks/performances is not so. I believe Jimi favored this alternative circuit because it allowed for more boost and the ability to use a wah in conjunction. That was what sealed the deal for me, using a wah in front of the BOG nailed those wah tones of Jimi's. I am willing to bet he wanted to use the wah and fuzz in unison but the fuzz face didn't alow for that without buffers... I could go on and on, this is a passion of mine.

Anyways, this pedal is excellent and a great alternative to the Fuzz Face. It sounds totally related but has it's own character and slightly different behavior. It does not clean up to "glassy" cleans like a Ge FF circuit but does clean up to a clean/crunch. You have to push the volume on the pedal to add brightness to your tone, similar to a FF but the volume boost on the BOG fuzz is massive compared to the FF. This pedal sounds like Jimi circa '68-'69 and now I am curious to pick up a Roger Mayer Axis Fuzz, Castledine Olympic Fuzz and KR The Fuzz.... But for right now I love this pedal and I have to admit I love the fact it looks like a tiny Fuzz Face.

mad5066

Reaction score
I agree the pedal absolutely rips! I have the special edition chrome one and comparing it to the blue mini fuzz, it's a lot louder and in your face. I also like it for playing smashing pumpkins, it has a real nice growl to it. Rolling down the guitar volume it does clean up differently than a FF too.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
You just had to go and do this didn’t you?:D
I’ve got one of the big fuzz face pedals on it’s way to be here Tuesday.
Now I’ve gotta get one of these too!!
Damn it man!:p
Haha well if you dig fuzz then you'll thank me later. It's a really cool alternative to the fuzz face and I love it.

I already prefer it over my $300+ FF clone... kinda feeling bad about this haha.

I agree the pedal absolutely rips! I have the special edition chrome one and comparing it to the blue mini fuzz, it's a lot louder and in your face. I also like it for playing smashing pumpkins, it has a real nice growl to it. Rolling down the guitar volume it does clean up differently than a FF too.
Yes, I'm loving that growl and pounding the front of the amps with the massive volume boost. It feels more touch sensitive than the average FF, you can get a pretty vast array of dirt depending on your picking dynamics.

yladrd61

Reaction score
I've been on a fuzz obsession and saw this locally for for a great price, couldn't pass it up. I've been determined to try to figure out Jimi's true fuzz tone and I wanted to investigate this circuit/pedal.

Ok, so this is not a "Fuzz Face" circuit, it is a Octavio fuzz/driver circuit minus the octave doubler. It is said Roger Mayer created a circuit much like this for Jimi along with many other prototype effects/fuzzes. It's supposedly inspired by the helios mic preamp circuit of Olympic studios. It is suspected that Jimi's red Fuzz Face with white knobs was really this circuit inside.

First off I am extremely impressed with Dunlop's offering. I've steered clear of Dunlop pedals since I began playing guitar. My first couple of pedals were Dunlop and I remember them sounding awful. The design of the "mini" Fuzz Face enclosure is just awesome and I love the modern size.

The Fuzz sounds very similar to a Fuzz Face but with way more boost and a bit more gain. It's texture reminds me of something between Germanium and Silicon and best of all it works with a wah wah. I am now entirely convinced this is the type of fuzz circuit Jimi used late '67 until about 1970 when he started using silicon. I have always had a feeling Jimi wasn't using a true Fuzz Face circuit and I've even elaborated on this here some time ago. I have owned and tried dozens and dozens of Fuzz Face circuit pedals and never felt 100% satisfied... There was always something missing in the character of the fuzzes and I just never felt 100% satisfied. I have read interviews with Roger Mayer where he stated he would make different circuits and just put them into spare Fuzz Face enclosures. That he would make different fuzz circuits for Jimi and/or for specific songs. Claiming sometimes using a custom fuzz circuit then a driver circuit before the fuzz and a shaping circuit after the fuzz to sculpt the sound... So there is a good chance a lot of what we believe is a Fuzz Face on Hendrix tracks/performances is not so. I believe Jimi favored this alternative circuit because it allowed for more boost and the ability to use a wah in conjunction. That was what sealed the deal for me, using a wah in front of the BOG nailed those wah tones of Jimi's. I am willing to bet he wanted to use the wah and fuzz in unison but the fuzz face didn't alow for that without buffers... I could go on and on, this is a passion of mine.

Anyways, this pedal is excellent and a great alternative to the Fuzz Face. It sounds totally related but has it's own character and slightly different behavior. It does not clean up to "glassy" cleans like a Ge FF circuit but does clean up to a clean/crunch. You have to push the volume on the pedal to add brightness to your tone, similar to a FF but the volume boost on the BOG fuzz is massive compared to the FF. This pedal sounds like Jimi circa '68-'69 and now I am curious to pick up a Roger Mayer Axis Fuzz, Castledine Olympic Fuzz and KR The Fuzz.... But for right now I love this pedal and I have to admit I love the fact it looks like a tiny Fuzz Face.
You may also want to try the Dunlop Octavio if you can find one for a reasonable price, it is a lot closer to the original circuit than the current Roger Mayer Octavia.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
You may also want to try the Dunlop Octavio if you can find one for a reasonable price, it is a lot closer to the original circuit than the current Roger Mayer Octavia.
Yes! I am actually planning on grabbing one of those as well. From what I understand Dunlop had access to one of Jimi's Octavias to reverse engineer. I believe it is said that it differs from Roger Mayer's production Octavia. The Band of Gypsys Fuzz Face is the same driver circuit from the reverse engineered Hendrix owned Octavia, leading some to believe it is closer to something Jimi used than Roger Mayer's pedals.

From what I understand the Axis fuzz shares DNA with the driver circuit of the Octavias thus leading some to believe the BOG FF circuit is the same or close to one of Jimi's original Roger Mayer fuzzes.

I have to say I am impressed with Dunlop's offerings and very eager to try out the other pedals.

John Stedman

Reaction score
I have one and it's great. I also have a Fulltone Octafuzz, which to my ears doesn't sound as good used as a straight fuzz but the Octavio setting is good.

Dean Swindell

Reaction score

I have two Dunlops, BOG Mini and blue Hendrix. Yes, two completely different pedals. But if you listen to Atlanta Pop, you can tell they did a pretty good job on the BOG for not having much at all to go on at all, just hearsay, a legend and their own hearing. Pretty impressive when you think about it.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
I have two Dunlops, BOG Mini and blue Hendrix. Yes, two completely different pedals. But if you listen to Atlanta Pop, you can tell they did a pretty good job on the BOG for not having much at all to go on at all, just hearsay, a legend and their own hearing. Pretty impressive when you think about it.
Yes! I am extremely impressed and to be honest finally found *that* Hendrix fuzz I've searched for years. Dunlop has really won me over with this pedal because since I started playing I've been looking for this... I've owned so many custom Fuzz Face circuits and clones the past 20 years and still never felt satisfied. Owned Roger Mayer's pedals and various "clones" of Jimi's circuit. This Dunlop pedal is the closest I've ever heard and will clutch it till I drop dead. I honestly feel silly the amount of money I've spent on "boutique" fuzzes and I grab this gem for $60... just mind blown.

I wanted to add, this pedal stacks really well with drive pedals. I've had mixed results using FF circuits and generally don't stack anything with a fuzz face or it's Mud city.

Marshall50w

Reaction score

I have been a Hendrix fan from day one, my favourite guitarist/musician. I was up a ladder painting the ceiling and heard a track came on the radio, with an amazing fuzz guitar tone. this was 2006 and the song was Dani California. This re kindled my search for the Hendrix tone. I bought many a fuzz box and didn't find the sound I was looking for. I play a Strat mostly through a JTM45 & 1960a with G12 30H Black Backs. The closest I got was an early '70's Dallas Arbiter FF for certain tones but I also like the BOG mini because its voiced right to me - most fuzzes I find are too Bassey of muffled. Also found that BOG mini can do a really good clean boost with the distortion rolled almost off. Its a good pedal and Dunlop ,even for a major company, make well made /good sounding pedals. My favourite Hendrix sound is the BOG live performance. To me the sound is more overdrive than fuzz and I tend to go down that avenue for my Strat sounds these days.

yladrd61

Reaction score
Yes! I am extremely impressed and to be honest finally found *that* Hendrix fuzz I've searched for years. Dunlop has really won me over with this pedal because since I started playing I've been looking for this... I've owned so many custom Fuzz Face circuits and clones the past 20 years and still never felt satisfied. Owned Roger Mayer's pedals and various "clones" of Jimi's circuit. This Dunlop pedal is the closest I've ever heard and will clutch it till I drop dead. I honestly feel silly the amount of money I've spent on "boutique" fuzzes and I grab this gem for $60... just mind blown.

I wanted to add, this pedal stacks really well with drive pedals. I've had mixed results using FF circuits and generally don't stack anything with a fuzz face or it's Mud city.
I have the full size version, I also have the Deep Trip BOG Fuzz, I still prefer the Blue Dunlop Hendrix BC108 Fuzz Face over either of them.

Jason Funk

Reaction score
I thought you were referring to the newer minis. I had the mini FFM3 sea green one but sold it to buy the newer super mini JHW1 FF (buffer on/off option with both silicon and germanium options) and JHW4 BoG FF. Both are incredible, highly recommend them. BoG definitely has more gain and in your face psychedelic fuzz.

purpleplexi

Reaction score
I had an axis fuzz and it sucked. Mind you I've never had a fuzz I got on with. But that was probably the worst. Apart from the big guy I love the fuzz tones of Ernie Isley who of course learned at Jimi's knee. I've never been able to get that hot, sweet fuzz sound - strat or LP.
On the subject of Roger Mayer I suspect that he didn't have quite the level of input into Jimi's tone that he likes to say he did. Just from stuff I've read. I've tried a stone fuzz too - didn't like that one neither. They all sound harsh to me.
Interested to try the dunlop though. I'll never learn.....

purpleplexi

Reaction score
Just listened to the dawsons demo above and it didn't do it for me. Reason is that you hear the tone with some fuzzy edges. Which is what fuzz is of course. But Jimi's (and Ernie's) tone the fuzz is somehow 'inside' the tone not round the edges. Don't know how to describe it better than that but that demo doesn't get it to my ears.

purpleplexi

Reaction score
Listened to another demo and what I think is - Jimi's tone is largely created by a cranked amp and the fuzz just adds another dimension or layer. These demos are largely about the tone of the pedal.
I could be talking bollocks of course.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
Listened to another demo and what I think is - Jimi's tone is largely created by a cranked amp and the fuzz just adds another dimension or layer. These demos are largely about the tone of the pedal.
I could be talking bollocks of course.
I know exactly what you are saying and you are correct. Jimi's core tone when using the Fuzz is the amp's distortion and he pushes everything over the edge with the fuzzes. Playing a fuzz face on a clean amp setting will 100% give that "fuzz outside of the notes" sound you are describing.

I find too often that fuzz pedals are demoed on a clean platform, I can understand because it can better demonstrate the effect in general but imo the best way to use a fuzz is on an already driven amp, it blends much better and sounds "right"... Playing fuzz on a clean amp just sounds like generic 60's fuzz tones if that makes sense.

Dean Swindell

Reaction score

Usually I just use an overdrive (Red Llama, 250, Toy Robot) with a slightly overdriven amp, but for one gig I used the big blue face followed by and LPB-1. Really nice. Depending on my guitar volume it sounded like an OD or a FF.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
Usually I just use an overdrive (Red Llama, 250, Toy Robot) with a slightly overdriven amp, but for one gig I used the big blue face followed by and LPB-1. Really nice. Depending on my guitar volume it sounded like an OD or a FF.
The beauty of the fuzz/fuzz face! I love love love controlling them with the guitar volume. With a seller germanium you can get crystal clean, warm and fuzzy to all out mean.