• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Odd 20 watt Greenback cone code. Any idea what it is?

• Thread starter jmm22
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jmm22

Reaction score
I spotted an ad for an early Greenback. It's labelled G12M 20 watt 15ohm 75 c/s. Looks right, as it's the unhammered basket, and the 20 watt rating indicates it's an early model, but the cone code is 1914 4907. I've read all the articles at Bygonetones (excellent resource put together by a seriously dedicated Celestion afficionado) but I can't find any reference to this number at Bygonetones or in any google search.

Any idea what cone this could be? I'm waiting to hear back from the seller where I hope to get more info, but in the meantime thought I'd see if anyone here has any idea. The speaker is really clean, so it's hard to imagine that it's a recone, but I suppose anything's possible.

jmm22

Reaction score
Can't see one from the one good pic. But from what I can gather from Bygonetones, the earliest Greenbacks (20 watter's) had codes on the gasket instead of the frame.

jmm22

Reaction score
Probably a recone though
Possibly, but Bygonetones suggests in a few places on his site that there are occasional lapses in cone codes through the years. Of course I'm hoping it's some odd/rare code for a Pulsonic cone. I'm going to try to get the seller to send me a picture of the front of the speaker. I have a few Pulsonic coned Greenbacks and probably could tell if it is one from the front. It's mounted in some cab right now.

Latest posts