OEM Power supply mismatch OEM pedal?

• Thread starter junk notes
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

junk notes

Reaction score
FYI:
I was looking around for a power supply for an old analog DOD StereoChorus and came across a video that the user was using the original power supply, and although the pedal runs at 9v or a 9v battery, the ps was rated at 11v 50mA.
I think Maxon has something, if not, then there is the Motorola ps at 11 volts and 55mA.

Trying to track down, but perhaps someone can post their findings on a Maxon (with red LED) and I will purchase that. Or, an original DOD PS-3 ps. Thanks

Or someone .. (ahem, umm @mark123 ) sell me their Arion SCH-1

:yesway::slash:

FracStrat

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m willing to bet that this situation is very similar to the Boss ACA vs PSA thing …… The ACA was the unregulated 9vdc PS ( actually putting out around 12vdc ) …… My experience is that the MIJ Boss Pedals that called for the ACA work just fine with a Regulated 9vdc supply ( with a sufficient mA rating ) with the only anomaly being the Dim LED. As soon as you connect to your signal chain the LED lights normally even with the 9vdc supply.
In would certainly try a 9vdc with your DOD

junk notes

Reaction score
the Dim LED
exactly! Thanks for that info @FracStrat.
coincidentally, I am using a Boss ps and the pedal functions, but knowing that the two extra volts gives you more headroom, I trust the pedal would sound even more lush. I would go the opposite way with a fuzz, but not soo much on modulation as lower voltage on a modulation pedal thins out (and some distort) your signal and tone.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an MXR Iso-brick that has 2 variable voltage outputs that go from 6v to 15v.
Might be an option for you if you want to over juice a pedal, or it can do the dying battery pedal tone, if you're into that.

junk notes

Reaction score
Elated that I got this one! Same spec as the DOD which are harder to get., but hey, it is a Maxon!:yesway:

s-l1600.jpg

junk notes

Reaction score
Are not these two power supplies of the same spec? IDK, but appears to be? Not working for me and hope no one makes this mistake (but can explain - what do I look for?) - thanks

junk notes

Reaction score
Elated that I got this one! Same spec as the DOD which are harder to get., but hey, it is a Maxon!:yesway:

s-l1600.jpg
This Maxon one for some reasone was terrible! I though though my pedal was going to blow up!
I am missing why there would be a difference in the two specs. :scratch:Sure does seem close to the DOD PS-3.:shrug:

junk notes

Reaction score
unfortunatley not that @Dogs of Doom. The point is I am wanting the additional 2 volts for the headroom. This produces less signal distortion lending to clean open effect tones. If you were one who used an 18v psu for an OCD overdive, a noticeable difference can be heard to the 9 volts.

I am giving up on the DOD PS-3. Same results with the OEM adapter. :nuts:

For troubleshooting, I used a power adapter cable to use with a Boss power supply and no issues using the pedal funtioning at 9 volts.

Snooping around I found out this info, and pointing out these issues that are occurring. With the noise issue, I feel that it is a case of inadequate mA's on the DOD PS-3 power supply. only 50mA's, barely enough for todays applications.
I am going to find another dedicated 11 volt power supply with as many mA's as possible, for R&D's sake. Just use the Boss psu for now.

Here is what is going on with DOD of the 80s. Try not to make the same pationate mistake I have done.
hey DOD which is it? 9 volt? 10 volt? Or 11?
WHICH IS IT! doh!
bonk.gif

Do-D-back-lable.jpg

junk notes

Reaction score
I'd check the guts of the pedal. Chances are it's regulating down to 9V anyway.
Pedal works fine with a Boss 9v adapter. IDK what I am looking for anyway. discoloration?
Just limited tech skills, but sounds like you are pointing out faulty charge pump? IDK sorry.

I tracked down an 11vac 1A. (1000mA's) Will report back findings next week. Sticking to the insufficient mA's theory for now. :fingersx:

PelliX

Reaction score
Pedal works fine with a Boss 9v adapter. IDK what I am looking for anyway. discoloration?

No, no, I was suggesting that *internally* the pedal is probably only using 9V anyway (as it can also run on a 9V battery, this makes sense). There are circuits and simple voltage regulators to drop the voltage, and regardless of whether you supply it 9, 11 or even perhaps 14V, they can deliver a given output. There are some snags to these circuits and components, but I'll spare you the technical details. Long story short, I don't know whether that pedal regulates (aka steps down) the voltage inside, but it's not uncommon.

Just limited tech skills, but sounds like you are pointing out faulty charge pump? IDK sorry.

Nah, I was merely suggesting that if your pedal does indeed use such an internal regulation as outlined above then you might as well just go with a 9V PSU and forget about the higher voltage.

I tracked down an 11vac 1A. (1000mA's) Will report back findings next week. Sticking to the insufficient mA's theory for now. :fingersx:

Although there's no problem with having an entire Amp at your disposal, 50mA sounds like a pretty reasonable draw for such a pedal. After all, it has to be able to run on a 9V batter for a fair while, too.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
here's some reading, if you haven't read this yet:

junk notes

Reaction score
here's some reading, if you haven't read this yet:

No I have not, but does address one of my concerns, if the technical info is good.
Random follow-up question...will it work OK at 12v? I have a free 12v space on my ISO-5 and would love to shoehorn in one more pedal onto my board, but the Bi-Fet is really the only candidate for 12v operation. If it was already made for 10v, would the extra 2v do any harm?
It would most likely be just fine. The op-amp is rated at 15vDC max, and most likely there are plenty of 16v caps. But if you keep it at 12 volts DC, it should be just fine.
..waiting on incoming PSU.

PelliX

Reaction score
nooooo!

not yet :D

Simply snipping a single line from what I said without the context can be a dangerous thing... :lol:

I did a bit of googling but couldn't find an exact power draw, though I did run across some reports that the pedal actually works identically (well) on 12V, which leads me to believe that it's indeed regulating down to 9V inside.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
Have you thought of trying a brick with a 12v output?
Thomann do a cheap Harley Benton one that has two 9/12/18v outs @ 500mA each.

Depending on the polarity of the supplied 12V 2A wallwort that powers the brick, you could use just one of those.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_powerplant_iso_adapter.htm

I have the 9v only Harley Benton PowerPlant ISO-1 Pro running my board and can attest to its high quality.

Latest posts