Off for service

• Thread starter sheguitarplayer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sheguitarplayer

Reaction score
I have an old JMP100 2203 from 1978 which is going off for service to Marshall factory. Ive also got a split channel 2210 which was damaged in a flood and Im hoping they can resurrect it.
Just thinking, while they are there I might ask them to tart them both up with some new tolex covering as they are both looking a bit battered.
What would you guys do?

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
:hmm: By all means tart them up. What color tolex were you thinking? Pink perhaps?

BeardedRetroGuy

Reaction score
+1 for mint-looking gear. It looks like you've actually taken CARE of your stuff rather than throwing it around and allowing people bash/hit/scratch/otherwise abuse your relatively expensive sh**.

God, I hate inconsiderate people (who abuse your crap because THEY didn't pay for the shit and therefore take no responsibility or care with it and just shrug their damned shoulders when they scratch the tolex or the guitar's finish......*takes deep breath*...)

diesel king

Reaction score
Mint gear thats 30 - 40 years old to me looks like gear that hasn't been used. Don't get me wrong, I don't throw my stuff around, I don't intentionally let it get bashed up, in fact i'm known for taking great care of my gear. I clean my guitars religiously and keep my amps flightcased. But my gear isn't museum pieces. My gear spends it life on the road. Re-tolexing a 1978 vintage 2203... no way!!!!! Thats criminal in my opinion. My buddy has a 79 Les Paul custom which has just aged and worn perfectly. That'd be like getting a new paintjob and making it look out brand new out the factory. However, its not my amp so the OP can do whatever he wants, i'm just sayin I wouldn't dream of it in a million years is all.

Reactions: Ken

sheguitarplayer

Reaction score
Well I decided not to tart it up after all.
Just got it back. Its the first time Ive ever used Marshalls service dept. and Im really very impressed. £121 total cost for a full service which included all new pots, all new inputs, new valve bias caps a full set of pre and power amp valves and return shipping to and from my door (arranged by them). Absolutely first class when you bear in mind buying just the valves elsewhere would cost about £75. And by the way, its sounds like 10 times the amp it was before it went.
Really pleased with it.
Ive got a flood damaged 2210 Im gonna send off now to see if they can resurrect it.

Reckless_Life

Reaction score
Mint gear thats 30 - 40 years old to me looks like gear that hasn't been used. Don't get me wrong, I don't throw my stuff around, I don't intentionally let it get bashed up, in fact i'm known for taking great care of my gear. I clean my guitars religiously and keep my amps flightcased. But my gear isn't museum pieces. My gear spends it life on the road. Re-tolexing a 1978 vintage 2203... no way!!!!! Thats criminal in my opinion. My buddy has a 79 Les Paul custom which has just aged and worn perfectly. That'd be like getting a new paintjob and making it look out brand new out the factory. However, its not my amp so the OP can do whatever he wants, i'm just sayin I wouldn't dream of it in a million years is all.

What if it looked like this?

beat1.jpg

beat2.jpg

There are limits, imo.

cogr

Reaction score
Ive just picked my 1974 superbass up from Marshall following a revalve and minor service (cost about £160) and must say I am really pleased with the service they provided. Gigged the amp for the first time this weekend since getting it back and it sounds 10 times better than it did beforehand. I would recommend anyone thinking about using Marshall's service centre to give it a go.

jupiter89

Reaction score
I'd retolex that . Looks like this thread would have made a good poll !

sheguitarplayer

Reaction score
Got the 2210 back today. It actually came back last week but had to be returned as one of the new output valves blew.
Been playing it for the last couple of hours and it sounds superb.
I'm frankly amazed. This amp was half submerged in flood water for almost a week over a year ago.
This time the service cost was a couple of hundred but bearing in mind I thought the amp was completely unrepairable I'm really well impressed.