Ohm's Question

• Thread starter Fattriga
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fattriga

Reaction score
I have a 1974 Marshall 50 watt amp. Just the head...So I have been running it through my Fender Blackface Cabinet W/ 2x12 Celestion 8 ohm speakers...Anyway...I've been selecting 4 ohms on the back of the Marshall Amp...Is that cool or am I damaging the transformer...

Ken

Reaction score
I have a 1974 Marshall 50 watt amp. Just the head...So I have been running it through my Fender Blackface Cabinet W/ 2x12 Celestion 8 ohm speakers...Anyway...I've been selecting 4 ohms on the back of the Marshall Amp...Is that cool or am I damaging the transformer...

OMG...match the amp to the load or smoke will follow. If your amp doesn't match your cab, buy another cab. A 4x12 1960 cab can be had for $300 in good shape. A new OT and labor is about the same...and you won't have your amp for a month. And you'll have a replaced OT along with whatever collateral damage to the components happened.

Ken

Ken

Reaction score
If the two 8 ohm speakers are wired in parallel for a 4 ohm cabinet then selecting 4 ohm impedance at the amplifier output is correct.

Good point. What's the impedance of the cabinet? If you don't know, invest $30 in a cheap meter and find out. 8 ohms will read about 6 and 16 ohms will read about 13-14.

Ken

jross68052

Reaction score
The other thing you might do is open the cab and look at the wiring. If the wiring is in series, it will go from the jack to the positive lead of one speaker, to the negative lead of the other speaker, then from the positive lead back to the jack. This will make the cab 16 ohms. If it's wired in series, the two positive leads on the two speakers will be connected and the two negative leads will be connected. This would be a 4 ohm set up.

Fattriga

Reaction score
Roger all that...The speakers are wired in Series...so I'm good at 4ohm...

Thanks everyone

royslead

Reaction score
Two 8 Ohm speakers in series is a 16 Ohm load. You are using the 4 Ohm setting. It is not matched, but will not do long term damage because the actual load is greater. Conversely, if you had been using a 16 Ohm setting and the speakers were wired in parallel, giving a 4 Ohm load; damage could occur. If you have the ability to math the impedences, do so.

jack daniels

Reaction score
Fender cabs w/2x12"s of that era are typically wired to four ohms, so it sounds like someone wired it for a British head @ 16 Ohms.

JeffH

Reaction score
If it's wired in series, the two positive leads on the two speakers will be connected and the two negative leads will be connected. This would be a 4 ohm set up.

This statement is a typo and this wiring would be parallel, not series. It would be 4 ohm with two 8 ohm speakers wired this way.

frankyfal

Reaction score
Snap a pic of your speakers wiring configuration. Let the guys here figure it out. That is a vintage head. You don't want to ruin it

stalefish

Reaction score
Two 8 ohm speakers can only be 4 or 16 ohms. Figure out what it is.

Penguinchit

Reaction score
speakerwiring1.gif

Sorry for the transparent background...

Latest posts