One Song, 33 Amps! (amp collection tour/walkthrough added!)

Guitarjon

Reaction score
And here's the next one: the EVH 5150 III 50W EL34!

This amp certainly is popular and for good reasons! It's a killer amp, designed by a great guitarist! (RIP EVH!)

I'm not a huge fan of the clean tones myself because they are very very clean with a lot of headroom. I personally prefer cleans that are a little bit more compressed/saturated but I guess a lot of people do like these types of cleans. Definitely not bad, just a certain sound that you have to gell with.

The blue channel is somewhat controversial because it's not as tight and aggressive as the red channel. I've said this before but I think that the blue channel is great BECAUSE of that! It gives the amp way more versatility and it gives the player a more vintage sounding alternative to the modern and blistering red channel. So the red channel is amazing for (heavy) rock and metal but the blue channel is great for classic rock and even more modern rock as well. I would say, let's give the blue channel a chance folks!

Tight high gain tones are cool, but sometimes I think people tend to obsess too much over tightness of tones. A little bit of fatness and looseness can make guitars sound huge in a mix, and more tube-y too imho. Just my 2 cents! Sure, I like tight tones as well but I have just as much love for 'rounder' tones too! :)

Alrighty, here's the episode:

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'm going to try to release the episodes more frequently now so hopefully we can get closer to the final epic 'One Song, 33 Amps!' compilation sooner! ;)

This next episode is all about the Wangs HD-15 amp. It's a cool Chinese boutique amplifier with some unique tones that are (loosely) based on a Bogner Shiva and a Soldano for the high-gain tones. For more information about this amp I would recommend checking out the full review that I did recently. Of course in this next video there is no talk, just tones! I hope you like it:

I think it's a very cool amp! The only amp in my collection with 6V6 tubes. I hope I can try more Wangs amps in the future.... cough*2204*cough haha!

Guitarjon

Reaction score
And here's the next one!

This one features the discontinued Orange Jim Root Terror signature head. This amp was based on the Rockerverb. So it's basically a tiny 15w Rockerverb head (only the dirty channel). It sounds really good actually! For high gain tones this is one of my favorite Orange lunchbox amps. The clean and crunch tones are good too! Check it out:

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Ah, the Marshall JCM 800 Studio or SC20H (Studio Classic)! Such a cool amplifier with that real iconic sound imho. To all the purists: I know, it's not the same as the 100w amps etc but it has some serious tones (at reasonable levels). It's nice that you don't have to crank it SUPER loud in order to get the EL34's cooking, so it's much easier to find a fat sweetspot where the power tubes are going into saturation. Anyway, super amp, always really enjoy playing through it!

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Nice, man.
Great video!!
You’re doing a great job.

I really like this mini JCM. Killer amp!!

Cheers! I also like it a LOT! :)

Today we're looking at the wonderful Laney Ironheart IRT60H 60 watt head!

I really love this amp for a bunch of reasons. The tone is great and sits in the mix very firmly, the tonal shaping options are very useful (such as the push-pull EQ and boost etc.) and it also looks really cool with the red glow! :)

Check it out:

Guitarjon

Reaction score
The amp in today's episode ain't no Mesa Badlander, but it's still a BADASS! This is my 3 2000's 3 channel Dual Rectifier. I love this amp a lot as it sounds huge and raw in a good way. See, that's what I like about Recto's, they make your guitar sound bigger. That does mean that the low-end is more loose and 'flubby' than something like a Marshall, but I like how that fills out the mix in a BIG way. I still would love to try a Badlander, I'm sure I could get some great tones out of it, but until then I'll enjoy my Dual Rectifier just fine! Even without a boost for the most part. Here's the episode:

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Since this isn't a Marshall focused thread, I've moved it to Other Amps.

Guitarjon

Reaction score
We're getting closer to the final 33 amps compilation, I hope there are still people along for the ride :)

So this episode focuses on the Hughes & Kettner Grandmeister Deluxe 40. It's a 40w 4 channel amp with a lot of built-in features such as a boost (which is independently voiced for each channel), built-in effects like reverb, delay, modulation etc, a power-soak and power scaling and the list goes on... I really like this amp. It can do a lot but it certainly has it's own voice. A tone that stands tall in a mix! Nice and present! Check it out:

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Here's the next episode: this one features the Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50, a very cool UK made Marshall with a lot of character and some great tonal options. Maybe these amps weren't so popular back in the day, I'm not sure, but I know that a lot of people like these amps nowadays, and I'm one of them! The high-gain tones on this amp aren't super modern and tight but they have a nice thick saturation with plenty of gain. A boost pedal can certainly turn these amps into metal monsters. The clean tones are good albeit a little bright, nothing that can't be fixed with some eq. The crunch tones are really nice on this amp as well! I never use the scooped tone shift voicing but the deep control certainly is useful. Here's the episode, enjoy:

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'm going to try to release the episodes more frequently now so hopefully we can get closer to the final epic 'One Song, 33 Amps!' compilation sooner! ;)
This next episode is all about the Wangs HD-15 amp. It's a cool Chinese boutique amplifier with some unique tones that are (loosely) based on a Bogner Shiva and a Soldano for the high-gain tones. For more information about this amp I would recommend checking out the full review that I did recently. Of course in this next video there is no talk, just tones! I hope you like it:

I think it's a very cool amp! The only amp in my collection with 6V6 tubes. I hope I can try more Wangs amps in the future.... cough*2204*cough haha!

Hey Jon , I’ve got a Wangs 2204hw and it’s great . Best 2204 circuit amp I’ve owned ( and there’s been a few ) definitely worth trying .

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
Hey Jon , I’ve got a Wangs 2204hw and it’s great . Best 2204 circuit amp I’ve owned ( and there’s been a few ) definitely worth trying .
Would also like to say that I’ve listened to all the amp demos you’ve posted on here and got to say to my taste I like the Laney ironheart the most so far , for what it’s worth .

neikeel

Reaction score
Ok guys, here's the next episode! This one is all about the Orange TH30H!

I've wanted a TH30H for a while now. I already have 6 of the smaller ones (Tiny Terror, Jim Root etc.) and I really wanted to have a TH30 mainly because it was the most affordable large Orange head and also because the tones I heard in demos were quite promising. I used to own a Dark Terror but that one was not for me (too scooped) so I was a little bit weary to try the TH30 since that also has that 'shape' control on the drive channel. Luckily the TH30H sounds MUCH better than my old Dark Terror did, so I couldn't be happier!

The clean channel is very simple with only volume, treble and bass controls but it's more versatile than you might think initially. The bass and treble controls have plenty of range so you can make the amp sound bright and scooped or more dark and middy etc. I also takes pedals really well so that's cool!

The dirty channel sounds absolutely huge and I do think it's mainly a high-gain channel. Having said that, I think the amp also has very nice crunch tones as you'll hear in the demo. It does have that classic round and fuzzy sound but it definitely is more aggressive than the Rocker 15 Terror for example. This one is more modern voiced overall.

Since I REALLY am enjoying this amp I also ordered a Rockerverb 50 MKIII. It should be here soon. That's actually a dream amp of mine so I figured I'd just pull the trigger while I'm still alive. lol

So here's the demo video. I think the amp did great with all the styles!

What did you guys think? Are you an Orange fan or do you not like the tones? I think the TH30 is quite popular so I imagine there must be some guys here who have one...

I like the ORs from 69-70 (ORST = 50w and OR100) and have made some replicas as I like them so much, but they are single channel only. I've also got a couple of OR120s from 73 and 75 that are brighter and only give up the goods when the room is shaking. The there is the Matamp GT120 that only gives up the goods when the room is falling down. Very much like a really good early 70s Superlead.
Nice work and clips btw:dude:

Guitarjon

Reaction score

Awesome! I think I'm going to try one for sure!

Would also like to say that I’ve listened to all the amp demos you’ve posted on here and got to say to my taste I like the Laney ironheart the most so far , for what it’s worth .

That Laney is a great great amp! I highly recommend checking them out.

I like the ORs from 69-70 (ORST = 50w and OR100) and have made some replicas as I like them so much, but they are single channel only. I've also got a couple of OR120s from 73 and 75 that are brighter and only give up the goods when the room is shaking. The there is the Matamp GT120 that only gives up the goods when the room is falling down. Very much like a really good early 70s Superlead.
Nice work and clips btw:dude:

Awesome! I would love to try a vintage Orange one day.

Today I'm featuring a very good amp by ENGL; the Fireball 100!

This 100w 6L6 amp has some serious girth, filth and clarity! The clean tones are really chimey/glassy which I really like and you can push the clean channel up to a nice crunch. The high-gain tones in this amp are to die for. Quite tight and gnarly but with plenty of bottom-end and saturation. Check it out:

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
Awesome! I think I'm going to try one for sure!

That Laney is a great great amp! I highly recommend checking them out.

Awesome! I would love to try a vintage Orange one day.

Today I'm featuring a very good amp by ENGL; the Fireball 100!

This 100w 6L6 amp has some serious girth, filth and clarity! The clean tones are really chimey/glassy which I really like and you can push the clean channel up to a nice crunch. The high-gain tones in this amp are to die for. Quite tight and gnarly but with plenty of bottom-end and saturation. Check it out:

Nice !!!!

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Hey folks, a little update:

I was planning on releasing the BIG 6.5 hour long 'One Song, 33 Amps!' compilation yesterday but at the last minute I discovered a pretty big error that I had to fix. So I had to go back and re-render the video. That took about a day and now I'm reuploading that video which will take a couple more days unfortunately. So I figured, while it's uploading we'd have some fun and check out some more amps!

Today we're looking at the wonderful Orange Rockerverb 50 MK III. SUCH a serious amp! Absolutely love this thing. I think the tones speak for themselves:

Which amp would you like to see next? Blackstar HT CLUB 50 MK II? Marshall JMP-1? Orange Brent Hinds? Peavey 6505MH? One of these perhaps?

Guitarjon

Reaction score
The upload for the big video is at 50%. I hope it will be ready for release on sunday. Fingers crossed!

In the meantime, here's the episode with the Peavey 6505 MH! This amp is really cool and it replicates the sound of the big amps quite well. It doesn't sound exactly the same but it definitely still sounds like a 6505! Great cleans and all the driven tones are great too imho! The clean on this small one are even better than the cleans on the big 6505 imho! Check it out:

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Here's the next episode. This one features the Blackstar HT Club 50 MK II! A very cool amp with a broad tonal palette!

Guitarjon

Reaction score
It's here: the BIGGEST guitar amp demo video in human history! 'One Song, 33 Amps!'. I've worked on this project for over a month and I'm so excited and relieved to finally be sharing this with the world. I sincerely hope that you get enjoyment out of it and perhaps also some new knowledge about guitar amps and their tones in a recording/studio setting.

All the amps can be heard with clean, crunch, rock, solo lead and boosted metal tones and I've included detailed timecodes in the description for easy skipping between the amps. Enjoy and ROCK!

Latest posts