Opinions on Celestion G12M-70

• Thread starter rensklaassen
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vinceB

Reaction score
My amp is fizzy and too bright on the top end with a lot of gain and the 70 reproduced it too well. I found a slightly warmer speaker tamed those ice pick highs without hurting the mids or low end. I tried to sell mine on ebay and I could not even get a 20 dollar bid. It was still better than the SLM speakers in my Crate.

GIBSON67

Reaction score
G12M70 T3577 16 ohm 2712 cone number

I show that only the G12S50 shares that same cone number. 75's and 65's both have 1777 cones, as well as GBs from mid/late 1970's, too.

Joshabr1

Reaction score
Folks the g12 70 speakers are the celestion black sheep. They will never be popular or collectable. This is for a reason. I have owned every style of celestion speaker. Several quads of most 12" models. The 70s are to my ears hands down the worst for the type of music I play. ( classis rock ) but that's not saying in the right application they can't be ok. Sometimes they just get it wrong. Why they ever stopped making the 65 and went to the 70 blows my mind. Goes to show you just how much our ears are different.

Joshabr1

Reaction score
I think the 65 will be a very sought after speaker in years to come

illini

Reaction score
I have the same type of Marshall cab. Also came loaded with the G12-70's. If I were playing metal, they would be passible. I can't imagine choosing that speaker over almost any other for most applications. It is harsh, bright, fatiguing to the ears, unpleasant to listen to…………………………and long gone.

Lily_Taeko74

Reaction score
I have a Carvin Legacy combo 212 with Vintage 30s, for the most part it was an overall dark sound to it. The clean channel rivalled a Fender clean but the second channel was one dimensional and cleaned up slightly. When I put a set of G12M-70s in the amp really, REALLY cleaned up and that wicked low end lump in the second channel smoothed out. Whatever happened to the Vintage 30s ? I was curious and popped em in my Marshall JCM 900 212 combo and it was an excellent combination !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anywho the G12M-70 is underrated and in optimum conditions really sound lively but not as lively as its big brother the Classic Lead but not as edgy in high gain situations but if you go easy on the gain you'll be fine

vinceB

Reaction score
I replaced mine with a Classic Lead. I'm going to list one (G12M-70) on eBay in the next few days if anyone is interested. I have a couple things going up for sale. Making room for more guitars. I also have another Classic Lead I might let go.:D

Lily_Taeko74

Reaction score
I replaced mine with a Classic Lead. I'm going to list one (G12M-70) on eBay in the next few days if anyone is interested. I have a couple things going up for sale. Making room for more guitars. I also have another Classic Lead I might let go.:D

What ohm is the Classic Lead ? I could use one in my 412, and how much ?

jgab

Reaction score
I just picked up a 1983 JMP 2104 combo with a pair G12M-70. They didn't sound good in the open back combo, so I threw them in a closed back 2X12. I was presently suprised. The highs are especially good and I can get a nice crunch out of them. They have a very nice natural presence that cuts throught the mix very well. Some people say they lack mids and bass, but a little eq'ing on my JCM 800 2204 and they sound excellent.

Its true about the closed back cabinets and the G12M-70. They sounds really great in this situation. I had to try it to believe it.

jgab

Reaction score
Awesome man. Sounds great. I don't understand the bad wrap these speakers get?

Use these speakers in a closed back cab, turn up your mids and bass on your amp, adjust your treble to taste, and these speakers will rock. They need the EQ adjustment for them to sound great.