Orange cab 4x12

• Thread starter Dave666
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dave666

Reaction score
I'm looking around to buy an 4x12 cab with V30's

Right now my mind is on the Orange 4x12, you can buy them in slanted version now.

Anyone compared them with Marshall 4x12 with V30's?

george76

Reaction score
the matamp and orange cabs crap all over modern marshall cabs. i cant recommend them enough.

to get any wear near the build quality of an orange cab you would need to get a marshall handwired or pre 1971 vintage cabinet.

also the vintage 30 speakers are my favourite modern speakers.

watchtheskies

Reaction score
the matamp and orange cabs crap all over modern marshall cabs. i cant recommend them enough.

to get any wear near the build quality of an orange cab you would need to get a marshall handwired or pre 1971 vintage cabinet.

also the vintage 30 speakers are my favourite modern speakers.

I'll second that, I have an Orange 2x12 and it stomped all over every other 2x12 cab that I tried including Marshall, Engle etc, and the Orange 4x12s really are superb,

be aware though that Orange cabs are made from strong and heavy materials, they're built like tanks and weigh a ton, this of course is part of the reason why they sound so good :jam:

rjohns1

Reaction score
I recorded my last album with a 212 orange cab loaded with vintage 30's. It was the studio's cab. I wanted to take it home. They are by far some of the best cabs out there.

phoenix78

Reaction score
I had a Marshall 1960AV with Vintage 30 and I currently have the 212 and 412 Orange Cabs with the same speakers. Even the 212 Orange cab destroys the Marshall tonewise. My impression is that the Marshall cab is very heavy in midrange but doesn't have much bottom end while the Orange cabs are more organic. I just compared a few days ago my new Blackstar Series One 200 head on both a Marshall 1960AV and the Orange PPC 412. I'm still in shock how thin the Marshall cab sounded compared to the Orange.

But keep in mind that the Orange 412 is a thunderous 50 Kg monster and doesn't have wheels, so it's no fun to carry this thing around

wylde1

Reaction score
I love my ENGL XXL 4x12

I think it sounded better than the marshalls I tried too. But it's also stupid heavy (60ish Kg) but that really helps the sound I think. No fun to carry, but that's why you have bandmates!! haha

probably still can't go wrong with the orange though. and they're likely the same price range.

Adrian R

Reaction score
I played in a band in where a guy had an original Orange cab from the late 60s/ early 70s. Had tons more low end then my 1960 Marshall cab. I thought it was butt ugly though!

Dave666

Reaction score
Alright, sold my 1960Ax cab and ordered an Orange PPC412 with V30's...
Eastern bunny is early this year

watchtheskies

Reaction score
Alright, sold my 1960Ax cab and ordered an Orange PPC412 with V30's...
Eastern bunny is early this year

congrats on your purchase, best investment you'll ever make :dude:
get some flightcase wheels on that sucker though, it's a monster :jam:

Doomhawk

Reaction score
i own both. a 73 orange cab and a couple 70's marshall B cabs. they are all awesome. but to comment on build quality - besides the plastic handles marshall used then and uses now, the cab is built really well and its finger jointed. the old orange and alike cabs were glued and boxed jointed together. which is totally fine, but they are not built better really, they just have metal handles.

you can grab a couple metal handles for your marshall pretty cheap from

Antique Electronic Supply

my orange tends to be a lil darker than my marshalls - probably more to do with the straight front of the orange. the newer slant versions will probably sound different.

Dave666

Reaction score
Alright, the cab has arrived and since I was alone to carry it fom my car into the rehearselspace that day I must say those cabs sound as heavy as they are!!!!!
'Orange, voice of the world' lets make that 'Orange, weight of the world'....

george76

Reaction score
marshall stopped using metal handles in 72, orange used them for a few more years than marshall.

apart from that only the reissue 'handwired' 4x12 cabs have metal handles that i know of.

modern orange cabs have plastic handles.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alright, the cab has arrived and since I was alone to carry it fom my car into the rehearselspace that day I must say those cabs sound as heavy as they are!!!!!
'Orange, voice of the world' lets make that 'Orange, weight of the world'....

Tell me more about this cab(Orange). How does it sound with your Marshall's? Details man...:naughty:

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
Orange cabs are deeper and have more internal volume allowing for much better bass response. I posted on another thread (can't remember which one), but I gave some great tips on how to make a Marshall 412 cab sound better. PM me if you want to know more.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Orange cabs are deeper and have more internal volume allowing for much better bass response. I posted on another thread (can't remember which one), but I gave some great tips on how to make a Marshall 412 cab sound better. PM me if you want to know more.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Orange cabs and have actually thought about getting one some time. I have an Avatar 412. Its a good cab but I thought once I'd like to try a high end one like the Orange since it has such glowing reviews. Clip wise it sounds really good. There was a cab comparison vid here some where but I can't find it again. Some of those V30 filled cabs I didn't like. It was interesting the differences in 412's with the same speakers.

I remember liking the JSX cab which has 4 100 watters in it. I don't know what they went with. Just says special JSX speakers.

The Slash cab sounded good too with V30's in it. I think Orange was the only other one I liked. Wish I could find that vid again. Its here on the forum.

tyleroceans777

Reaction score
when i went on tour last summer our other guitar player and a guitarist from the band we toured with both had orange 412s and we shared them each night. i still had my jcm2000 tsl 100 then and it sounded the best through that cab. you cant beat them, man. even orange amplifiers are most bomb.