Orange cab 4x12

• Thread starter Dave666
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dymlos

Reaction score
it came down to the 1960 cab and an orange 4x12 i ended with the 1960 cab but i sometimes wish i got the orange cab :(

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
I've heard nothing but good things about the Orange cabs and have actually thought about getting one some time. I have an Avatar 412. Its a good cab but I thought once I'd like to try a high end one like the Orange since it has such glowing reviews. Clip wise it sounds really good. There was a cab comparison vid here some where but I can't find it again. Some of those V30 filled cabs I didn't like. It was interesting the differences in 412's with the same speakers.

I remember liking the JSX cab which has 4 100 watters in it. I don't know what they went with. Just says special JSX speakers.

The Slash cab sounded good too with V30's in it. I think Orange was the only other one I liked. Wish I could find that vid again. Its here on the forum.

Yeah Joe, I have brought this up before. Marshall did not take anything into consideration when they made their 412, "except" to make it as small as possible and still hold four 12-inch speakers. Each speaker has it's own physical and electrical parameters. These are called Thiele and Small parameters. This data allows a designer to put the right speaker in the right cabinet. With Marshall 1960 cabs, speakers that work good with small volume requirements make the best match. Some of the higher watt Celestions with deeper bass just don't sound very good in a 1960. They will sound different, but not necessarily better.

When you build a slant cab and you make it a little thicker you add more volume and then you can take a 1960 cab with V30's and compare it to the thicker cab with V30's. You will be able to tell the difference.

Also, you can make a 212 cab that is large for a 212 and port this cabinet. This will produce the most distinct low end possible and will work well with 7-string, baritone and low drop tunings. Ported cabs need more volume than a sealed cab, but it's a compromise in low end.

On the other thread I talked about how you could install a couple of Aperiodic Vents into the back panel of a 1960 cab. Using these and some additional fill inside the cab "fool" the speakers and makes them think they are in a bigger cab. The result is a lot tighter bottom end. I have used the Aperiodic Vents in a variety of cabinets and if you follow the instructions, they work. I highly recommend two for a 1960.

Last edited:

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did some reading on your threads/posts too. I also found the vid I was looking for on your speaker thread. It was the Vintage modern using different cabs vid. After looking every where else it was in your every thing about speaker thread. Well if I ever come into some money I may buy me an Orange 412. I see their 212 gets just as stellar reviews. Also not only does Orange have black cabs now they have white too! Looks real good with an Orange amp on it. Just think how dirty that would get on the road hehe.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
A white cab...ahh no! They would look cool for about a month and then they would look like a dog had rubbed his ass on it.

saffel

Reaction score
YES!! Just got of of the phone with a dude (craigslist) and made arrangements for him to drop off an Orange 2x12 tomorrow. Im stoked! Literally just sold my MC4x12 cab 20 min ago....

Dave666

Reaction score
Tell me more about this cab(Orange). How does it sound with your Marshall's? Details man...:naughty:

I compared the Orangecab with my JCM900 1960A with G12-T75 speakers.
It's a whole other world. Right now I hook 'em both at my JCM800 and they complement eachother very well.
The first thing I had to do was turn down the bass on my amp and bring the treble a bit up....lol
The Orangecab alone sounds way huge, never heard a cab that good! I played through a Rectifier cab before with the same amp and guitar but didn't like that one. The Orange cab rules...
Right now I'm looking to buy a 2x12 for home use, and it's a bit more portable when needed 'cause the 4x12 is heavy as fuck.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I compared the Orangecab with my JCM900 1960A with G12-T75 speakers.
It's a whole other world. Right now I hook 'em both at my JCM800 and they complement eachother very well.
The first thing I had to do was turn down the bass on my amp and bring the treble a bit up....lol
The Orangecab alone sounds way huge, never heard a cab that good! I played through a Rectifier cab before with the same amp and guitar but didn't like that one. The Orange cab rules...
Right now I'm looking to buy a 2x12 for home use, and it's a bit more portable when needed 'cause the 4x12 is heavy as fuck.

I would like to pair one up with my DSL50. I almost got one but decided on the Monza instead. Still on my short list of gear to buy soon. After the plexi hehe. Let me know how the 212 compares to the 412 cause I was also considering it as well. Thanx for the report. I hear great things about these 412's all the time and that Marshall's like mine sound stellar through them.

saffel

Reaction score
Here is a pic of the new rig (cab) at least. Sold a Marshall MC412 cab and piced up this bad boy.

Have not had much of a chance to play it yet. but I think its pretty BADlookin'

ORANGERIG.jpg

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a pic of the new rig (cab) at least. Sold a Marshall MC412 cab and piced up this bad boy.

Have not had much of a chance to play it yet. but I think its pretty BADlookin'

ORANGERIG.jpg

Well hurry up and take it through its paces hehe.

That IS a beautiful thing including the tube screamer. That says "I wanna Rock"!

saffel

Reaction score
Thanks Brother!

Had to get some work done late tonight. Gotta get to the Mountains early tomorrow. Crystal got dumped on!

Im not sure why I know this, but aren't you in Enumclaw? (The Claw?)

Take're easy!

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Brother!

Had to get some work done late tonight. Gotta get to the Mountains early tomorrow. Crystal got dumped on!

Im not sure why I know this, but aren't you in Enumclaw? (The Claw?)

Take're easy!

Close. In between Bonney Lake and Buckley(out skirts). My wife sells tickets at Crystal. Been snow'n good up there still. Have fun man! Let me know how the rig sounds when you take it for a good run.:dude:

jackassrock

Reaction score
Orange cabs are deeper and have more internal volume allowing for much better bass response. I posted on another thread (can't remember which one), but I gave some great tips on how to make a Marshall 412 cab sound better. PM me if you want to know more.

There it is. Bigger = more bass response.
I use Yamaha 4x12s and they are comparable in tone to the Oranges I've used over the years. Of course I have never a/b'd the Yamahas and Oranges, but both have a much tighter bottom end than any Marshall cab I've ever played through... cause they're bigger.

Bieling3

Reaction score
I briefly had an Orange ppc412. It was heavy as hell to it's own detriment. And it had an unflattering loose and undefined boomey bass that couldn't be eq'd out. I sold it on ebay for quite the profit.

My next cab was a Marshall 1960a. It came with casters. It was heavy but at least 10 pounds less than the Orange, and beside the fact that I had to open it up every month or so and tighten every screw down to keep it from getting farty... it delivered the thump I was looking for. I miss it.