Orange Rockerverb 50 MKIII vs TH30 vs OR15

Guitarjon

Reaction score
I love Orange amps and I have a bunch. They're all cool for different reasons but I wanted to pick a couple that I found suitable for a stoner rock type of sound. The Rockerverb 50 MKIII is an obvious choice but it is the most expensive so I also wanted to try the TH30 out again. It's kind of similar to the Rockerverb in that it has the big headshell and a clean + dirty channel. It has its own sound though but it's more affordable than the Rockerverb. I also wanted to try an amp that was even more affordable and low-wattage so the OR15 was an obvious choice. The preamp is supposedly based around the (mkI or mkII) Rockerverb sound.

I don't claim to be a stoner rock expert but I made some stonery-riffs to try out these amps with using one of my favorite guitars, the ESP LTD NW-44 Neil Westfall with the Bare Knuckle Aftermath in the bridge. LOVE that guitar, easily on of my favorites! That BK pickup is just amazing too!

Anyway, so I thought this would be a cool and fun tone-quest/comparison video. It might help folks out who are looking for a high gain rock/metal Orange amplifier. Out of these amps, which one did you like best and which one would you choose and why? Taking sound, price and features into consideration? Check it out:

tresmarshallz

Reaction score
Great topic! I love all of these three amps, and have owned them all over the years, ,currently play through the MKIII. The core tones on these three are similar, meaning you could tweak them all to get the same type of sounds. So, I think it comes down more to the application/watts needed.
My personal opinion is the OR15 and MKIII have the richest most awesome distortion, but the OR15 lacks a bit of thump when you turn it up obviously. The OR 30 is a bit more bland compared to the others but with the right overdrive etc it could get close.

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Great topic! I love all of these three amps, and have owned them all over the years, ,currently play through the MKIII. The core tones on these three are similar, meaning you could tweak them all to get the same type of sounds. So, I think it comes down more to the application/watts needed.
My personal opinion is the OR15 and MKIII have the richest most awesome distortion, but the OR15 lacks a bit of thump when you turn it up obviously. The OR 30 is a bit more bland compared to the others but with the right overdrive etc it could get close.

Yeah the TH30 has a more scooped sound but I guess it's cool that they have their own sound going on. I guess the TH30 would work well for the more modern metal/rock player. The Rockerverb is a bit more allround I think.

Need the OR50!

WANT the OR50! ;)

tallcoolone

Reaction score
Yeah for Stoner Rock I think all of those amps are too modern sounding, although the OR15 can get a decent grind going.

Mystic38

Reaction score
While the TH30 and the RV has the same number of gain stages, the "shape" control of the TH30 is a polarising feature..but its pretty effective, tho an eq in the loop is an easy fix. The main difference in gain sound for me is that the TH30 has symmetrical clipping and the RV is asymmetrical.. there is a thread in the Orangeforum where these mods are discussed.
The clean channel of the TH30 is simply excellent but for me the TH30 gain channel was unexciting so the Rocker 30 replaced it.. and despite its clean channel needing crutches, the dirty channel has less gain, more dynamism and punch than the TH30.. it has a great "stfu" quality to the tone..lol

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
That was a great video and I really like the comparisons. The riff and tones were very fitting to demonstrate all the nuances between the 3 and I really enjoyed hearing them both in a mix and isolated.

I personally think the TH30 sounded the best and sat in the mix perfectly per the genre but my favorite was the RV, the OR15 sounded like an Orange no doubt but didn't impress me like the other two.

Latest posts