Ordered a Peavey 6505 Mini Head and Orange PPC112 Cabinet

• Thread starter yell03
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

yell03

Reaction score
I had $310 in Amazon coupons so I ordered the Orange PPC112 cab in Black for an additional $70.

Scored a new Peavey 6505 Mini Head with Footswitch for $410.

$480 out of pocket and they are on the way.

I am hoping the Celestion Vintage 30 in the Orange cab is a nice match for the Amp, I think it will be.
Plus if I pick up a high wattage head later the cab is rated for 60w.

I thought about the EVH 5150 III, but the head version does not have variable wattage and the combo even in a 1x12 is 70lbs.

I already have a Marshall DSL40C combo with a Celestion Creamback, heavy enough at 50lbs.

I'll post up some pics and reviews after it arrives.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I just played a full size 6505+ through an Orange 4x12, it was a monster of an amp, I suspect you will be very happy with yours. Make sure to review it here when you get it, I was looking for one to try but only found the full size one.

yell03

Reaction score
I just played a full size 6505+ through an Orange 4x12, it was a monster of an amp, I suspect you will be very happy with yours. Make sure to review it here when you get it, I was looking for one to try but only found the full size one.

I think I will like the tone, but it won't have the thump of its big brother through a 4x12

Deep Purple fan

Reaction score
I had $310 in Amazon coupons so I ordered the Orange PPC112 cab in Black for an additional $70.

Scored a new Peavey 6505 Mini Head with Footswitch for $410.

$480 out of pocket and they are on the way.

I am hoping the Celestion Vintage 30 in the Orange cab is a nice match for the Amp, I think it will be.
Plus if I pick up a high wattage head later the cab is rated for 60w.

I thought about the EVH 5150 III, but the head version does not have variable wattage and the combo even in a 1x12 is 70lbs.

I already have a Marshall DSL40C combo with a Celestion Creamback, heavy enough at 50lbs.

I'll post up some pics and reviews after it arrives.

Nice. I like those mini heads by Peavey.

Just as an aside, I picked up a new EVH 5150 III 2x12 combo and it arrived yesterday. It's a total beast. I was actually expecting a lot and it exceeded my expectations. I will write a review after about a month but I've played it for about 4 hours and it's very easy to dial in, it's very good. The built in attenuators feature of 1-50W works and is awesome. The DSL40C is not a real comparison. I put my Plexi, SLX and JCM2000 DSL 401 C on craigslist and have two buyers for the plexi already. The EVH is that good and the G12M Greenback are a perfect match.

yell03

Reaction score
Nice. I like those mini heads by Peavey.

Just as an aside, I picked up a new EVH 5150 III 2x12 combo and it arrived yesterday. It's a total beast. I was actually expecting a lot and it exceeded my expectations. I will write a review after about a month but I've played it for about 4 hours and it's very easy to dial in, it's very good. The built in attenuators feature of 1-50W works and is awesome. The DSL40C is not a real comparison. I put my Plexi, SLX and JCM2000 DSL 401 C on craigslist and have two buyers for the plexi already. The EVH is that good and the G12M Greenback are a perfect match.

I really like the EVH, but I would rather have the Head.
I wonder why only the combo has the variable wattage?

Deep Purple fan

Reaction score
I really like the EVH, but I would rather have the Head.
I wonder why only the combo has the variable wattage?

It is gigantic for a 2x12.....and 3/4 the size of Marshall 1960 Cab and as heavy as my oversized 1960TV cab. The sound however is very impressive.

I am curious how those mini 6505s work out. Great move by Peavey. Keep us posted.

yell03

Reaction score
I was impressed w/ the 6505 MH. great amp,modern features,& perfect small club size.:yesway:

I am hoping it is all that

It is gigantic for a 2x12.....and 3/4 the size of Marshall 1960 Cab and as heavy as my oversized 1960TV cab. The sound however is very impressive.

I am curious how those mini 6505s work out. Great move by Peavey. Keep us posted.

As soon as I get it I will.
Even the EVH 1x12 combo weighs 70lbs.
If I get to try one and it blows away my DSL40c maybe I will pick up a head or 1x12 combo and sell the DSL, but the DSL really is a nice amp and so far nothing has knocked it out of my #1 spot.

GuitarMutant

Reaction score
Yeah, I'd like an update as well.
I've been toying with getting one of those or a Ceriatone Son Of Yeti. Interested to see how you like the tone.

chiliphil1

Reaction score
Congrats there, I played one of the mini's the other day and I really liked it, I had it plugged into a 4x12 and it was mean! Enjoy.

FJP467

Reaction score
Great choice. I have had the 6505MH for a week now. It is an absolute beast of an amp for sure. It may not have the thump of its big brother, but it is not that much of a compromise. It still has plenty of thump and more gain than any of us mere mortals can use. It is so good that I am now planning on selling my DSL-40C and a Blackstar HT-5 Metal. I think Peavey has hit a grand slam with these mini heads. I was skeptical at first. Now, I can not stop playing. It is one of those amps that just makes you smile the whole time you play it.

yell03

Reaction score
Yeah, I'd like an update as well.
I've been toying with getting one of those or a Ceriatone Son Of Yeti. Interested to see how you like the tone.

I will post up as soon as it gets here

Congrats there, I played one of the mini's the other day and I really liked it, I had it plugged into a 4x12 and it was mean! Enjoy.

I only have the 1x12, but for my style it should be OK as long as it cuts through.

Great choice. I have had the 6505MH for a week now. It is an absolute beast of an amp for sure. It may not have the thump of its big brother, but it is not that much of a compromise. It still has plenty of thump and more gain than any of us mere mortals can use. It is so good that I am now planning on selling my DSL-40C and a Blackstar HT-5 Metal. I think Peavey has hit a grand slam with these mini heads. I was skeptical at first. Now, I can not stop playing. It is one of those amps that just makes you smile the whole time you play it.

I am hoping it does not make me want to sell my dsl40c, if it does it will only be to pick up another Head.

FJP467

Reaction score
I will post up as soon as it gets here

I am hoping it does not make me want to sell my dsl40c, if it does it will only be to pick up another Head.

This head is so good I want to sell those amps and get the other Peavey Mini heads. I hope you enjoy the head when you get it. I am looking forward to hearing you impressions. I am almost ready to post a review too.

yell03

Reaction score
This head is so good I want to sell those amps and get the other Peavey Mini heads. I hope you enjoy the head when you get it. I am looking forward to hearing you impressions. I am almost ready to post a review too.

Definitely post a review.
It will give me some reading to do while enjoying the beautiful week we are having in Anglesea right outside North Wildwood.

yell03

Reaction score
Received it Tuesday, got to try it out for a couple of hours between Tuesday and Wednesday, lots of A/B'g with my Marshall DSL40C with Creamback.

Cleans on the 6505 are decent, a gritty clean it does well, not as good as the DSL40C, but I like it.
From there it beats the DSL40C on every gain level.
Where the DSL40C crunch leaves me wanting a little more the 6505 gives me more.
I find myself boosting the DSL40C with a Tube Sceamer or OCD to get great tones, the 6505 just needs a twist of the gain knob.
Where the DSL40C gain channels are lacking something in tone, the 6505 Crunch channel has it covered.
The 6505 Lead Channel has a lot of gain, way more than I need, so I just run it at 7 o'clock and it still has more than enough.
IMHO, the 6505 crunch channel is the best by far.
I will say the DSL40C takes pedals better, but the 6505 takes pedals fine, it just does not need them.
Both the DSL and 6505 have great effects loops and work well with my delays.
For home use the 6505 5w mode is best and sounds on par with the DSL at 20w.

The Foot pedal works well with the 6505 and there is no jump in volume from clean to crunch.

I must admit to liking the 6505 better than the DSL, if it had slightly better cleans it would be no contest.

FJP467

Reaction score
Hey Yell03....Sorry I never posted my review. I have the exact same feelings on the amp. The 6505mh is a killer amp. I am playing this thing 4-5 hours a night. It is just so inspiring. It is awesome. Agreed on the clean channel too. There is no sparkling clean. The cleanest tone still has some grit to it. I love the 1w and 5w for playing at home. Looking forward to playing the 20w with my drummer. I think my DSL is hitting Craigslist and I may get the Valveking MH for the cleans. IMO Peavey has the mini head market cornered with these monsters. Enjoy the amp and rock on!!

yell03

Reaction score
Hey Yell03....Sorry I never posted my review. I have the exact same feelings on the amp. The 6505mh is a killer amp. I am playing this thing 4-5 hours a night. It is just so inspiring. It is awesome. Agreed on the clean channel too. There is no sparkling clean. The cleanest tone still has some grit to it. I love the 1w and 5w for playing at home. Looking forward to playing the 20w with my drummer. I think my DSL is hitting Craigslist and I may get the Valveking MH for the cleans. IMO Peavey has the mini head market cornered with these monsters. Enjoy the amp and rock on!!

I thought about the Valveking for cleans also, I wish they would have named it something else.
I still love my DSL40C, but think about how easy it would be to gig with the 6505MH, a 1x12 cab, and just bring another Mini Head as a back-up.
Heck, I could fit it all in my Vette Convertible.

FJP467

Reaction score
I thought about the Valveking for cleans also, I wish they would have named it something else.
I still love my DSL40C, but think about how easy it would be to gig with the 6505MH, a 1x12 cab, and just bring another Mini Head as a back-up.
Heck, I could fit it all in my Vette Convertible.

I like my DSL too but I do not think it holds a candle to the 6505. I am playing through a 2x12 and it is awesome. Definitely loud enough depending on the gig. The Classic 20 looks like a good back up too but I am really intrigued by the Valveking. Could be the best of both worlds. I will keep you posted.

yell03

Reaction score
I like my DSL too but I do not think it holds a candle to the 6505. I am playing through a 2x12 and it is awesome. Definitely loud enough depending on the gig. The Classic 20 looks like a good back up too but I am really intrigued by the Valveking. Could be the best of both worlds. I will keep you posted.

I like the Classic 20 better than the Valveking.
I am also looking at the Orange TH30, or OR15, EVH 5150 III, and Mesa Mini Rectifier or Rectoverb.

I am not making any hasty decisions, the DSL40C is great, wish it were available in a head version.

Latest posts