Ordered a Peavey 6505 Mini Head and Orange PPC112 Cabinet

• Thread starter yell03
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I thought about the Valveking for cleans also, I wish they would have named it something else.
I still love my DSL40C, but think about how easy it would be to gig with the 6505MH, a 1x12 cab, and just bring another Mini Head as a back-up.
Heck, I could fit it all in my Vette Convertible.

I like my DSL too but I do not think it holds a candle to the 6505. I am playing through a 2x12 and it is awesome. Definitely loud enough depending on the gig. The Classic 20 looks like a good back up too but I am really intrigued by the Valveking. Could be the best of both worlds. I will keep you posted.

Wow I'm glad to hear you guys really like the 6505 Micro, I tried the Valveking Micro the other week and was very impressed by it, packed with features and tone, I was thinking the same thing that Peavey has cornered the market! I'm looking forward to trying the 6505 Micro and Classic20 Micro, at their price points they are all a steal!

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Ive been holding out for Marshall to make something right in a micro but I might have to go Peavey!

yell03

Reaction score
Wow I'm glad to hear you guys really like the 6505 Micro, I tried the Valveking Micro the other week and was very impressed by it, packed with features and tone, I was thinking the same thing that Peavey has cornered the market! I'm looking forward to trying the 6505 Micro and Classic20 Micro, at their price points they are all a steal!

The Classic 20 looks really nice, I think I would like to try that before the Valveking.
I wish they would change the valveking name.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
The Classic 20 looks really nice, I think I would like to try that before the Valveking.
I wish they would change the valveking name.

To what "Bob"? The Peavey Bob! Has a nice ring to it :D

Yeah Im hoping my local shop gets the Classic 20 and 6505 in so I can compare and decide which I prefer. Possible purchase :naughty:

yell03

Reaction score
To what "Bob"? The Peavey Bob! Has a nice ring to it :D

Yeah Im hoping my local shop gets the Classic 20 and 6505 in so I can compare and decide which I prefer. Possible purchase :naughty:

Just get both.

I wonder, if you plug both heads in to the single 1x12 cabinet and use an A/B switch, would that work???

If that would work I would have both in a heartbeat.

Edit....

That would not work as the head needs to see a load, so I would need a Radial Headbone, still a possibility.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Just get both.

I wonder, if you plug both heads in to the single 1x12 cabinet and use an A/B switch, would that work???

If that would work I would have both in a heartbeat.

Edit....

That would not work as the head needs to see a load, so I would need a Radial Headbone, still a possibility.

I couldnt justify both I only want one mini head, from the demos I watched the Classic20 is probably more up my alley but I already have several classic toned amps, the 6505 is a freakin metal monster which would be fun to own, I dont have any amps like that and from what I've seen you can get some cleanish tones out of it.

jem7sk

Reaction score
The VK mini is very versatile. The cleans are amazing! Mine just lacked any thump so I sent it back. I'd be curious to know how the classic compares to the VK. I've heard nothing but good about the 6505 mini. Does it have enough bass? I might have just gotten a bad VK mini because I've heard others say it has a lot of bass.

Cthulhu

Reaction score
I tried out the 6505+112 and loved it, but it was way too loud for my house. I decided on the 40C because of volume and the clean channel, but this micro seems like a perfect second addition.

This has me rethinking the 40C. Would the 6V6's in the DSL15H head cause the ultra gain to differ greatly from the 40C?

yell03

Reaction score
I couldnt justify both I only want one mini head, from the demos I watched the Classic20 is probably more up my alley but I already have several classic toned amps, the 6505 is a freakin metal monster which would be fun to own, I dont have any amps like that and from what I've seen you can get some cleanish tones out of it.

I actually don't play any metal, probably why I like the crunch channel so much, great for any rock from classic to hard.

The VK mini is very versatile. The cleans are amazing! Mine just lacked any thump so I sent it back. I'd be curious to know how the classic compares to the VK. I've heard nothing but good about the 6505 mini. Does it have enough bass? I might have just gotten a bad VK mini because I've heard others say it has a lot of bass.

The 6505 has plenty of bass, but I have not tried to thump it yet, it is a loud sucker on 20w.

I tried out the 6505+112 and loved it, but it was way too loud for my house. I decided on the 40C because of volume and the clean channel, but this micro seems like a perfect second addition.

This has me rethinking the 40C. Would the 6V6's in the DSL15H head cause the ultra gain to differ greatly from the 40C?

I had the 15, the 40 is better in every way.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
The 15 is has only the clean and ultra 2 modes as mentioned so you are missing the crunch and lead 1 modes, oddly, as they are very useful modes. Loop, etc. The 40C wins.
I habe been interested in the 6505 mini too. Hmmm. So is the clean channel simply cleanish or can you get a good hard rock rhythm tone and still have an over the top lead gain?? Could boost in the loop I s'pose. Thanks!!

yell03

Reaction score
The 15 is has only the clean and ultra 2 modes as mentioned so you are missing the crunch and lead 1 modes, oddly, as they are very useful modes. Loop, etc. The 40C wins.
I habe been interested in the 6505 mini too. Hmmm. So is the clean channel simply cleanish or can you get a good hard rock rhythm tone and still have an over the top lead gain?? Could boost in the loop I s'pose. Thanks!!

Where the DSL15 or 40 cleans can go from a clean/clean to a gritty clean, it seems the 6505MH cleans are more a gritty clean, but I will have to try it more when I get home. I'll bet it will clean up if I lower the gain.

The DSL15 clean channel with gain full up stops at a mild crunch, at that point the DSL40 can just go to the crunch channel.
The 6505 MH clean channel with have more gain, probably equal to the DSL crunch channel, but again, I'll have to play around more when I am back home.

FJP467

Reaction score
I have had the mini head for almost a month now. Honeymoon period is over. I am actually playing more guitar now that I ever have. It is just so much fun to plug into this Peavey. Great crunch and lead channels. If you are looking for a low wattage head, you have to check it out. The cleans are not great, but they are usable. I think there is a lot more head room on the clean channel on 20w mode, need to experiment some more there and I will report back. Not to be redundant but the crunch and lead on 1w or 5w is superb. Sounds great at 20w too but don't need that much volume. Got to say it is amazing how responsive the controls are too. Rock on everyone!

yell03

Reaction score
Got home and did some playing through the 6505 MH.

Very nice cleans can be had, you just need to back the gain knob down to 9 o'clock.

Wind it to 10:30 and it gets a nice gritty clean.

12 noon even grittier.

Turn the gain all the way up on the clean channel and you get a nasty crunch.

Go to the crunch channel and that is where the real fun begins,

I actually don't need the lead channel, to much gain.

The funny thing is, I feel the same way about my Marshall, I love the clean and crunch channels, I could do without the Lead channels, but with the Marshall crunch channe; I need pedals to get me the gain I need, the Peavey needs no pedals.

FJP467

Reaction score
Got home and did some playing through the 6505 MH.

Go to the crunch channel and that is where the real fun begins,

I actually don't need the lead channel, to much gain.

Hey yell03...have you tried the lead channel with almost zero pre-amp gain. Very sweet tones that can eq's there. It is very close to the crunch channel but it seems a little tighter and fuller to my ears. Let me know what you think.

Rock on!!

yell03

Reaction score
Hey yell03...have you tried the lead channel with almost zero pre-amp gain. Very sweet tones that can eq's there. It is very close to the crunch channel but it seems a little tighter and fuller to my ears. Let me know what you think.

Rock on!!

I actually did that last night, very close to the crunch channel, but brighter.
It would be better with its own separate tone controls, but at least it does make it usable.
I still think the crunch channel has more gain than I will ever need.

The Marshall DSL40C is the same, the Lead channels are brighter and have too much gain. Unfortunately the DSL40C crunch channel does not have quite the gain I need on its own, but it has nice tone.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I was just reading theres a footswitchable crunch on the rhythm channel, so does this mean you can go from clean to crunch on channel 1 and channel 2 for high gain? Like having a 3 channel footswitchable amp? How is the transition from clean to crunch sound when the crunch is turned on by footswitch?

Latest posts