Origin 20 faults

• Thread starter JIMBODADDEO
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JIMBODADDEO

Reaction score
Hi folks. I'm looking into getting one of these, been checking the reviews, videos and what not and came across some YT vids showing problems with signal leakage and overheating components.
Are there known faults that are inherent in this range that WILL cause problems down the road.

Any answers will be greatly appreciated before I spend my hard earned,

Jim

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi folks. I'm looking into getting one of these, been checking the reviews, videos and what not and came across some YT vids showing problems with signal leakage and overheating components.
Are there known faults that are inherent in this range that WILL cause problems down the road.

Any answers will be greatly appreciated before I spend my hard earned,

Jim
I have an Origin20H and I'm not aware of any "inherent faults" such as you describe that would not be attributable to any tube amp.
I also don't put much faith in YT videos, as they are usually made more to attract views than to actually impart useful information.
If you want to make a YT video about problems with any amp, find an amp with problems and make a YT video.
If you like the tone, features, and price point, I think the Origin20 is a great amp.

JIMBODADDEO

Reaction score
Thanks for replying so quickly. The videos I saw were from psionic audio, and to be fair they are the only ones on their, but you know what it's like, one bad applee spoils the cart. Of to guitar guitar now to check one out.

Thanks again

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't comment on the combo as I have the 20H. Only problem I had with mine was the speaker outputs being strange for an 8ohm load. You have to use the correct (middle) one rather than either as woud normally be the case.
Other than that a really good amp with great vintage type tone.

JIMBODADDEO

Reaction score
Tried one, very nice, but sadly even on the low setting It was getting too loud for my ears for the tone I’m after. I had the gain maxed, the boost engaged and although it sounded perfect the master got too loud too quick.
Fiddled around with different gain/boost/master levels, but just couldn’t get it right. The search for the perfect level continues

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tried one, very nice, but sadly even on the low setting It was getting too loud for my ears for the tone I’m after. I had the gain maxed, the boost engaged and although it sounded perfect the master got too loud too quick.
Fiddled around with different gain/boost/master levels, but just couldn’t get it right. The search for the perfect level continues
A few pedals makes my O20H a fire breather.
SD-1 in the front and GE-7 in the loop brings a smile at any volume.

matttornado

Reaction score
I heard from other owners that if a boost is placed in the FX loop for a solo volume boost, it doesn't work as well as other marshall FX loops.
Do find the same thing to be true? Does the GE-7 boost the volume if needed in the loop?

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard from other owners that if a boost is placed in the FX loop for a solo volume boost, it doesn't work as well as other marshall FX loops.
Do find the same thing to be true? Does the GE-7 boost the volume if needed in the loop?
I use the GE-7 to tone shape, not as a volume boost.
I change the settings depending on the volume I feel like playing at, the guitar I'm using, boost on/off, and other effects.
There's never a set it and forget it setting on any of my gear.

Mrmadd

Reaction score
Origin 20 works good. Never any issues.
Very versitile amp at great price. Fitz288 mentioned using an eq in the effects loop.
I use a Marshsll Jackhammer in the loop of a DSL40 and it sounds killer when used.
Eq can give you boost or you can dial it to reduce the volume for late night practice.

O 20 sounds best in a 4x12 cab.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
any tube amp will have to push some volume to get that tube sound you've paid for.

IMO, 20 watt is about the best compromise. 1 watters, to get the sound from them, they need to push a little volume as well, & 1 watt is louder than you might think.

Even then, there is a compromise, in that, the power tube is a pre-amp tube & it doesn't get that big glass sound.

When trying to get a good sound at low volumes, there will be compromise. It just depends on what you consider the best compromise for your situation.

Many people buy a 20 watter, then get an attenuator. This can lead down a whole new thread path of it's own, so I won't take it there, but not all attenuators are the same. (or have the same tone result)

You can try the DSL 20 watt, that has a master volume that you should be able to dial in at almost any volume.

IMO, the Ori 20 should be able to dial down, but, it doesn't get it's sweet tone, until the volume is pushed, unless you get someone to do the Headfirst mod to it...

speyfly

Reaction score
I have the O20H as well and very pleased with it's performance. To my ears it sounds best when pushed using an EQ to boost both the front and fx loop. To compensate for the loudness I'm using a passive attenuator pushing a 12" Celestion Greenback and a V30.

This amp really likes pedals though I don't use OD's much and if I do the pedal gain is way down the amp gain around 3 o'clock, the cleans are awesome, great amp.

Old Punker

Reaction score
any tube amp will have to push some volume to get that tube sound you've paid for.

IMO, 20 watt is about the best compromise. 1 watters, to get the sound from them, they need to push a little volume as well, & 1 watt is louder than you might think.

Even then, there is a compromise, in that, the power tube is a pre-amp tube & it doesn't get that big glass sound.

When trying to get a good sound at low volumes, there will be compromise. It just depends on what you consider the best compromise for your situation.

Many people buy a 20 watter, then get an attenuator. This can lead down a whole new thread path of it's own, so I won't take it there, but not all attenuators are the same. (or have the same tone result)

You can try the DSL 20 watt, that has a master volume that you should be able to dial in at almost any volume.

IMO, the Ori 20 should be able to dial down, but, it doesn't get it's sweet tone, until the volume is pushed, unless you get someone to do the Headfirst mod to it...

"20 watt is about the best compromise" :agreed:

"Many people buy a 20 watter, then get an attenuator" - I did that too and then I got better at dialing in my SC20H in 20W mode, now I don't use the attenuator very much. :lol:

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
That would be the only drawback about this amp, I have a pair of 50H’s, never had a single problem with them, and yes they are not true bedroom amps.
But they do shine for me, but you do have options to work around the decibels.
And Welcome To The Forum

JIMBODADDEO

Reaction score
WOW! soo many replies. At the moment I'm running a Laney LC15 with an Xvive plug in wireless kit, (both dongle type ends) > MXR GT-OD > Zenman BUDDA overdrive/boost > Mooer ninety orange & Marshall echohead which I switch in & out with a radial big shot when I need them, then a joyo 6 band eq.
The Laney gets real loud, real quick, hence the experiment with switchable levels, but I've got to try the Laney Super Cub with its different inputs (15 & 1W) to see what that's like.
Hitting all of this with a Les Paul Tribute & a Gretsch 5222.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
That was the problem I had with the Origin20, it was too loud for home with the tone I was after. Look at the master volume amps like the DSL, Jube and SC20.

Sg-ocaster

Reaction score
I wanted one but when I tried one in the store with gain dimed and boost on I was getting too loud and it wasnt even breaking up. I figured if its that powerstage dependent even at a comfortable stage Volume it would wind up too clean for me so I passed it up. Ya figure 20w is only 3db lower than 50w and a 50w plexi is WAY too loud for most small/medium stages.