Origin 20 faults

• Thread starter JIMBODADDEO
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JIMBODADDEO

Reaction score
Started to consider attenuation as a means to achieve my goals which I can't do with the Laney.
Looked at the Harley Benton offerings as a dip the toe experiment.

Thoughts.....

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Started to consider attenuation as a means to achieve my goals which I can't do with the Laney.
Looked at the Harley Benton offerings as a dip the toe experiment.

Thoughts.....
I have a Bugera PS-1, very similar to the Harley Benton.
I don't use it on the Origin, but I have tried it to find out what it does.
It does what it's supposed to do - it absorbs power from the speaker signal.
I've used it on my O20H and it dampens the brightness along with the volume.
This can be compensated for with EQ in the amp, or with an EQ pedal.
I also have a BadCat Unleash V2 that is a re-amp with virtually no effect on the amp tone.
You loose speaker breakup, which is part of the tone I love from some workin' greenbacks.
I can get very similar tones with some OD pedals that I can get with an attenuated volume.
You just can't make a low volume amp sound like a loud cranked amp.

Sledge Johnson

Reaction score
Thanks for replying so quickly. The videos I saw were from psionic audio, and to be fair they are the only ones on their, but you know what it's like, one bad applee spoils the cart. Of to guitar guitar now to check one out.

Thanks again
I watch the psionic guy too, he knows his stuff
Check out the Headfirst Amplification guy
He has a whole series on mods he has done.
Sounds killer ! No pedals, straight into the amp !

vivanchenko

Reaction score
Hi folks. I'm looking into getting one of these, been checking the reviews, videos and what not and came across some YT vids showing problems with signal leakage and overheating components.
Are there known faults that are inherent in this range that WILL cause problems down the road.

Any answers will be greatly appreciated before I spend my hard earned,

Jim
That video is totally clueless. The guy has absolutely no idea what he is talking about. There are absolutely no any sort of leakages caused by poor design decisions or anything. How can he even know there is a leakage without even taking a single measurement?

Everything what he is saying does not make sense. His idea of "Marshall sound" is simply absurd.

I am sure his goal was to piss on the amp no matter what. I don't know what was the motivation. Somebody payed him or was he doing sombody a favor or something like that, but he is completely irrelevant.

Just ignore him.

Last edited:

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
Hi folks. I'm looking into getting one of these, been checking the reviews, videos and what not and came across some YT vids showing problems with signal leakage and overheating components.
Are there known faults that are inherent in this range that WILL cause problems down the road.

Any answers will be greatly appreciated before I spend my hard earned,

Jim
Have had the combo version for a few years and no problems playing quiet at home, loud in practice, and louder for gigs. It takes some effort to dial in your desired tone, but the amp does take pedals well and there is an Origin thread with lots of great ideas.

Vinsanitizer

*** Canceled ***
VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe @Vinsanitizer just got one of these, and unfortunately found a hot dog stuffed in the loop. Not sure if this is an isolated incident, or an inherent problem with the amp.
Close - it was a piece of sausage. I was taking the map out of the box in the kitchen with one hand, and a slice of sausage & pepperoni in the other. Who would've ever thought?! :D

I haven't read through this thread yet. I bookmarked it so I can come back later.

Last edited:

Vinsanitizer

*** Canceled ***
VIP Member
Reaction score
That was the problem I had with the Origin20, it was too loud for home with the tone I was after. Look at the master volume amps like the DSL, Jube and SC20.
No disagreement, but I'm sitting here playing my [new] 20w combo at nearly 3am, wife and dogs sound asleep almost right above me, and mine is very quiet on the low power setting, Master @ 1:00, Gain @ 2:00.

Dropping a Bic pen from about 4 ft onto a hardwood floor is louder than my map right now. So, IDK?

FWIW, yeah, I can get good "midnight" volumes from my SC20H and DSL20H into a 1960 4x12, they do work well for that. Granted, you're not gonna move any air, but you'll get a good useable sound.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
No disagreement, but I'm sitting here playing my [new] 20w combo at nearly 3am, wife and dogs sound asleep almost right above me, and mine is very quiet on the low power setting, Master @ 1:00, Gain @ 2:00.

Dropping a Bic pen from about 4 ft onto a hardwood floor is louder than my map right now. So, IDK?

FWIW, yeah, I can get good "midnight" volumes from my SC20H and DSL20H into a 1960 4x12, they do work well for that. Granted, you're not gonna move any air, but you'll get a good useable sound.
I had it set in low watt mode, volume dimed and gain on 7 got me edge of breakup tone I liked best, hurt my ears though. Yes I could get lower volume out of the amp but not with tones I liked. I'm glad you can dial in tones you like! :yesway:

Vinsanitizer

*** Canceled ***
VIP Member
Reaction score
I had it set in low watt mode, volume dimed and gain on 7 got me edge of breakup tone I liked best, hurt my ears though. Yes I could get lower volume out of the amp but not with tones I liked. I'm glad you can dial in tones you like! :yesway:
Must be a big volume jump from 1:00 to max. I'll check it out. The controls on the Origin are pretty active interactive - even the gain adds more volume than on other amps like the DSL.

Last edited:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Must be a big volume jump from 1:00 to max. I'll check it out. The controls on the Origin are pretty active - even the gain adds more volume than on other amps like the DSL.
Its definitely a cool amp it just didnt work out for me, I wish I kept it more than a week and tried a JHS volume box in the loop, that might have worked! I use a JHS in my SV20H and its perfect! I had the ORI20H and DSL20H at the same time and they both went back for different reasons, then got an SC20H that went back and finalized my mini Marshall search with an SV20H and very happily ever after. :yesway:

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That video is totally clueless. The guy has absolutely no idea what he is talking about. There are absolutely no any sort of leakages caused by poor design decisions or anything. How can he even know there is a leakage without even taking a single measurement?

Everything what he is saying does not make sense. His idea of "Marshall sound" is simply absurd.

I am sure his goal was to piss on the amp no matter what. I don't know what was the motivation. Somebody payed him or was he doing sombody a favor or something like that, but he is completely irrelevant.

Just ignore him.
I've been watching his vids for awhile now. I enjoy watching problem solving guitar amp vids by techs. Also getting to know their personalities. Techs crack me up until they overstate or get redundant over info. I imagine they are convinced others are so impaired intelligence wise they need grooming.

I have one issue with his vids. The sound samples after the amp is done. The tones consistently sound not pleasing to me. Hopefully he learns how to dial an amp better. That's a whole other skill set though and after all he is good at fixing amp issues. I quit listening or bail on the clip when he does sound samples. Can't do it any more. I'll watch up until that point though.

I love my Ori 50. It bleeds vintage Marshall R&R. Don't want that fixed.:cheers:

Last edited: