• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Origin 20 vs SV20 volume comparison?

• Thread starter Dave_11
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dave_11

Reaction score
Does anyone own both of these to compare? I have an Ori20 and am thinking about getting an SV20, but wondering about the volume. I typically run the Ori20 with the gain and master at 3/4 of the way up to get the tone I want. I run it on either the 3W or 0.5W setting with an attenuator at night. I'm wondering how loud the SV20 would be on the 5W setting compared to the 3W of the Ori20, with the volume up enough to give good crunch.

People are always saying how loud the SV20 is, but I don't hear the same about the Ori20, so that gives me some pause. I have a John H 20W attenuator with -3.5, -7, and -14db attenuation that I assembled from a kit that I got from Gene Ballzz. Could that be modified to give more attenuation? I just soldered it together like a well trained monkey from the excellent instructions that Gene provided, so I can't say I really understand the circuit.

svinyard

Reaction score
Does anyone own both of these to compare? I have an Ori20 and am thinking about getting an SV20, but wondering about the volume. I typically run the Ori20 with the gain and master at 3/4 of the way up to get the tone I want. I run it on either the 3W or 0.5W setting with an attenuator at night. I'm wondering how loud the SV20 would be on the 5W setting compared to the 3W of the Ori20, with the volume up enough to give good crunch.

People are always saying how loud the SV20 is, but I don't hear the same about the Ori20, so that gives me some pause. I have a John H 20W attenuator with -3.5, -7, and -14db attenuation that I assembled from a kit that I got from Gene Ballzz. Could that be modified to give more attenuation? I just soldered it together like a well trained monkey from the excellent instructions that Gene provided, so I can't say I really understand the circuit.
I've not played the 20w Origin (but played the origin 50w for a long time a few weeks ago at all volumes). I just got the SV20 and play that everyday now. Origin 50 seemed similar to SV20. I could play the Origin 50w on its 5wt setting a bit easier than the SV.

What kind of music/tone are you playing on our Origin? sounds like BOTH the volume and gain are at a 7 right? That's quite a bit of break up I'm guessing.

I just did some decibel testing on my 1965a cab and the SV20 capturing db on my cellphone (Decibel X app). On the 5wt setting, on very low volume. It's roughly a nice 85db at the peaks...but the thing is so dynamic depending on how hard you hit the strings. I can play lightly at 80db and then dig in and get to 95db. The dynamics are amazing. Now this at 5wt gives you a nice hairy, glassy clean. And its not super thin either (but thinner than full 20w). Yeah the SV is a bright amp I guess but that doesn't mean it lacks lower end punch by any means. That's the real beauty here.

If I turn the 5wt setting volume up to a 4 I get a pretty killer legit crunch with some real bark. With some balls on it. You'll feel the crunch not just hear it. This is not an Origin. That will be around 105db peaks. It's loud and it jumps from that 85db to 100 really quick on the knob...like a horse on it's way to the barn, it wants to go. From there it doesn't go mega mega loud like 120db or anything (more like 110 peaks)...you just get more distortion the further you crank it. The added volume seems to be very tapered. And that glorious wooly low-mid BARK gets even meaner. Hitting it hard and the tone rising and sagging is very very cool. I'm still smiling after playing it loud lol. Note some of this is dependent on your cab and speakers of course.

When I turn it onto 20w mode, I add another 4-5 db it seems. And the tone gets thicker in a good way.

Hope that helps and gives you something to test with.

Dave_11

Reaction score
What kind of music/tone are you playing on our Origin? sounds like BOTH the volume and gain are at a 7 right? That's quite a bit of break up I'm guessing.
I'm also hitting it with various overdrive pedals to get early 80s metal type tones. To my ear the Ori20 just doesn't have enough bite, so I'm thinking of getting an SV20 or SC20. I love the tone of the SV20 I hear in demos, but the master volume of the SC20 really appeals to me. I was leaning towards the SC20, but your post about your new SV20 kind of threw me back to wanting the SV20.

Dave_11

Reaction score
I own both and love em. The O20 is loud and having 3 power scaling options makes it a little more forgiving. The SV20 is louder since it only has 2 attenuation options. I do use attenuators on both.
Thanks much. Do you have an opinion as to which is louder on the 20W mode at crunch volumes?

svinyard

Reaction score
I'm also hitting it with various overdrive pedals to get early 80s metal type tones. To my ear the Ori20 just doesn't have enough bite, so I'm thinking of getting an SV20 or SC20. I love the tone of the SV20 I hear in demos, but the master volume of the SC20 really appeals to me. I was leaning towards the SC20, but your post about your new SV20 kind of threw me back to wanting the SV20.
How much of those 80's metal tunes were on a plexi amp? I would think that would REALLY be the SC20 or 50w 2204 sweet spot rather than a plexi. I've got a DSL40CR that scratches that sorta thing (imperfectly) for me tho. It kind of does the Mesa thing decently well (and was cheap used).

If I was REALLY into 80's metal I'd want a 50w 2204 and a boost pedal tho :)...and still do lol. But that will have to wait. Fwiw I played the SC20 with and without an SD-1 boost and into a very nice 1x12 Mesa cab (these are excellent) with a v30. It didn't really have a ton of punch. It was pretty tight (especially boosted) and had that very crisp 80's metal tone, especially in the mid-upper mids. It didn't have a lot of bark/punch in the lower mids tho. Maybe that's not important in that sort of music tho with heavy bass coming from the bass guitar.

As far as getting an OD pedal on the Plexi...I'm not so sure that's a good recipe. Boosted yes but it's only a 20w so there's not a ton of headroom for a OD and it's natural break up happens already.

Solarburn plays hard and realllly likes his Origin with a Tumnus pedal and SD-1 together. Something tells me that setup into a V30 cab would blow your hair back :).

Last edited:

vivanchenko

Reaction score
I've not played the 20w Origin (but played the origin 50w for a long time a few weeks ago at all volumes). I just got the SV20 and play that everyday now. Origin 50 seemed similar to SV20. I could play the Origin 50w on its 5wt setting a bit easier than the SV.
I think you are a bit too optimistic. This is physically not possible. The 50 W amp has a 50W rated output transformer and much higher voltage. Were you playing the amps with the same speaker? My 50 W Plexi clone is not louder than the 50W Origin.

The SV 20 also has greater signal attenuation to make sure it doesn't break up too early, this will decrease total loudness.

Last edited:

svinyard

Reaction score
I think you are a bit too optimistic. This is physically not possible. The 50 W amp has a 50W rated output transformer and much higher voltage. Were you playing the amps with the same speaker? My 50 W Plexi clone is not louder than the 50W Origin.

The SV 20 also has greater signal attenuation to make sure it doesn't break up too early, this will decrease total loudness.
Not the same speaker. Tho the Origin 50 speaker had a higher sensitivity (and was 12") than the 10" speakers I run the SV20 through. While I hear you on the technical side...I cranked them. That SV can get LOUD....and my speakers I run it through actually knock down the volume a bit. I think it could be something where db vs perceived volume (this is what matters to player/crowd anyways) come into play. But hard to say. With my weaker 10" speakers my SV20, when played hard on max is at around 120db+. That's fucking loud. So lets say the Origin 50 does 125db....at that point its all just raging volume right?

Last edited:

speyfly

Reaction score
How much of those 80's metal tunes were on a plexi amp? I would think that would REALLY be the SC20 or 50w 2204 sweet spot rather than a plexi. I've got a DSL40CR that scratches that sorta thing (imperfectly) for me tho. It kind of does the Mesa thing decently well (and was cheap used).

If I was REALLY into 80's metal I'd want a 50w 2204 and a boost pedal tho :)...and still do lol. But that will have to wait. Fwiw I played the SC20 with and without an SD-1 boost and into a very nice 1x12 Mesa cab (these are excellent) with a v30. It didn't really have a ton of punch. It was pretty tight (especially boosted) and had that very crisp 80's metal tone, especially in the mid-upper mids. It didn't have a lot of bark/punch in the lower mids tho. Maybe that's not important in that sort of music tho with heavy bass coming from the bass guitar.

As far as getting an OD pedal on the Plexi...I'm not so sure that's a good recipe. Boosted yes but it's only a 20w so there's not a ton of headroom for a OD and it's natural break up happens already.

Solarburn plays hard and realllly likes his Origin with a Tumnus pedal and SD-1 together. Something tells me that setup into a V30 cab would blow your hair back :).
I'm in your camp regarding adding a OD to the SV20, gets wonky quick. A good clean boost with eq or a quality EQ in the front to drive the pre-amp stage is a much better fit imho.

Last edited:

Dave_11

Reaction score
I guess I should clarify that I'm using talking about using OD pedals as volume boosts. That's how I'm running them into my Ori20, and almost never add any of the drive. I had a DSL1HR for a short while, and really enjoyed the instant gratification of the gain knob without having to go through pedals or crank the volume, so I don't know - maybe the SC20 would suit me better...

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I should clarify that I'm using talking about using OD pedals as volume boosts. That's how I'm running them into my Ori20, and almost never add any of the drive. I had a DSL1HR for a short while, and really enjoyed the instant gratification of the gain knob without having to go through pedals or crank the volume, so I don't know - maybe the SC20 would suit me better...
I also have a Dsl1hr, I bought it when they came out in 2018, but it hasn’t had much play the last 4 years, because I bought an SC20h in 2019.

The SC20 is a great sounding Marshall straight in or boosted. I almost always use od pedals with the Drive on 0 with Marshall amps.

I’m currently using a Bd2 alone, I like it’s transparency, I love the tone of the amp, so I don’t want anything that’s going to color it, too much. The Bd2 seems to that better than any other od pedals I’ve tried.

Lots of times I play straight in, keeping the preamp volume anywhere from 4 or 5 while pushing the master a little. The master and preamp volumes interact exceptional well together, even at low volumes.

Late 60s early 70s tones, not usually associated with the 800 circuit, are there if dialed in properly. Marshalls 800 series reputation is more about heavy Rock and Metal, but it does other genres as well.

The amp really covers all the tones I’m looking for, I play mine thru two 1-12 cabs, one with a Greenback the other a Creamback.

Check one out before you decide,…

Good luck with your quest.

Dave_11

Reaction score
I also have a Dsl1hr, I bought it when they came out in 2018, but it hasn’t had much play the last 4 years, because I bought an SC20h in 2019.

The SC20 is a great sounding Marshall straight in or boosted. I almost always use od pedals with the Drive on 0 with Marshall amps.

I’m currently using a Bd2 alone, I like it’s transparency, I love the tone of the amp, so I don’t want anything that’s going to color it, too much. The Bd2 seems to that better than any other od pedals I’ve tried.

Lots of times I play straight in, keeping the preamp volume anywhere from 4 or 5 while pushing the master a little. The master and preamp volumes interact exceptional well together, even at low volumes.

Late 60s early 70s tones, not usually associated with the 800 circuit, are there if dialed in properly. Marshalls 800 series reputation is more about heavy Rock and Metal, but it does other genres as well.

The amp really covers all the tones I’m looking for, I play mine thru two 1-12 cabs, one with a Greenback the other a Creamback.

Thanks much for the feedback. I have a BD2 sitting on the shelf. I've tried it with my Ori20 but have other pedals I like better with it because they boost the mids. Good to know that the BD2 woks well withe the SC20, so I'm ready to go if I end up with one.

vivanchenko

Reaction score
Not the same speaker. Tho the Origin 50 speaker had a higher sensitivity (and was 12") than the 10" speakers I run the SV20 through. While I hear you on the technical side...I cranked them. That SV can get LOUD....and my speakers I run it through actually knock down the volume a bit. I think it could be something where db vs perceived volume (this is what matters to player/crowd anyways) come into play. But hard to say. With my weaker 10" speakers my SV20, when played hard on max is at around 120db+. That's fucking loud. So lets say the Origin 50 does 125db....at that point its all just raging volume right?
A low volltage SV20 with tiny 20W rated output transformer is louder than a 50W Plexi clone and 50 W Origin which in addition has a higher sensitivity speaker? Come on, Svinyard, that's a wild claim. You definitely got something wrong here.

I did play the SV20 in a store and it didn't sound louder than what I expected. In fact it didn't sound louder than the Ori 20 and Ori 50 which I tried during the same visit, obviously. All of the amps were what I expected them to be in terms of loudness.

svinyard

Reaction score
pretty sure you misread my comment that you quoted

:)

But hard to say. With my weaker 10" speakers my SV20, when played hard on max is at around 120db+. That's fucking loud. So lets say the Origin 50 does 125db....at that point its all just raging volume right?

Last edited:

Tomo

Reaction score

So it is possible to dial in SV20 tones on the SC20?

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So it is possible to dial in SV20 tones on the SC20?
Well, you can get in the ballpark for sure, they are similar circuits, but they re not the same. I have no issues playing Classic Rock, and Blues through my SC20, Zep, Cream, Deep Purple, ZZ Top, Free, Hendrix, etc., even Floyd!

It’s a much more versatile amp than non-owners might think, even great cleans in the High Sensitivity input at low or medium volumes. Especially with single coils, but humbuckers too. Keeping the preamp volume on the low side and the master up some, and back off the guitar volume a number or two.

Also the master and the preamp volumes interact really well together, and adding an od pedal or even two, (the amp loves od pedals), and heavier stuff is at your fingertips.