Origin 20 vs SV20 volume comparison?

• Thread starter Dave_11
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jhue73

Reaction score
A low volltage SV20 with tiny 20W rated output transformer is louder than a 50W Plexi clone and 50 W Origin which in addition has a higher sensitivity speaker? Come on, Svinyard, that's a wild claim. You definitely got something wrong here.

I did play the SV20 in a store and it didn't sound louder than what I expected. In fact it didn't sound louder than the Ori 20 and Ori 50 which I tried during the same visit, obviously. All of the amps were what I expected them to be in terms of loudness.
i play an origin 50h through a avatar 212 sealed cab with v30s and it will split your wig... lol. it has alot of punch you can feel. i cant see a sv20 being louder but i dont own a sv20.

i just changed the speaker in my 68 prri to a celestion g10 vintage and it is surprisingly alot louder and punchy for 12 watts. the ragin cajun 10 is pretty dang loud too. speakers make a huge difference in sound and db.

Last edited:

JohnH

Reaction score
I have a John H 20W attenuator with -3.5, -7, and -14db attenuation that I assembled from a kit that I got from Gene Ballzz. Could that be modified to give more attenuation? I just soldered it together like a well trained monkey from the excellent instructions that Gene provided, so I can't say I really understand the circuit.

The attenuator that you have has a max setting of -31.5 dB. It has a constant -7dB, plus those three switched settings. So by operating the switches, you can go from -7dB down to -31.5dB in small equal steps of -3.5dB.

That should be enough for any 20W amp to play anywhere from loudly to quietly. At the max attenuation setting, you are hearing just 0.014 Watt! Actually, it's surprising how clearly that can be heard late at night.

But, yes if needed, its easy to add more attenuation by adding another stage.

Dave_11

Reaction score
Thanks John. Gene set me up with some suggestions and resistor values if I want to add another stage. I just ordered an SV20 that was on sale, so I'll see how loud it is first.

Dave_11

Reaction score
Just got an SV20, and to answer my own question... The SV20 in 5 watt mode is just a bit louder than the Origin 20 in 3 watt mode, when running the JohnH M2 attenuator with all three stages engaged. I'm guessing this really isn't too loud at all by most people's standards.

79 2203

Reaction score
So it is possible to dial in SV20 tones on the SC20?
My 79 2203 can get close to the tone of my 71 1987. The MV amp sound is a little sharper in the treble, not quite as midrangey, and the overdive sort of holds together better making it a tiny bit more modern, but you might not tell them apart in a recording.
Think of a 1959/87 as being a P90 and a 2203/4 as being a PAF.

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
Does anyone own both of these to compare? I have an Ori20 and am thinking about getting an SV20, but wondering about the volume. I typically run the Ori20 with the gain and master at 3/4 of the way up to get the tone I want. I run it on either the 3W or 0.5W setting with an attenuator at night. I'm wondering how loud the SV20 would be on the 5W setting compared to the 3W of the Ori20, with the volume up enough to give good crunch.

People are always saying how loud the SV20 is, but I don't hear the same about the Ori20, so that gives me some pause. I have a John H 20W attenuator with -3.5, -7, and -14db attenuation that I assembled from a kit that I got from Gene Ballzz. Could that be modified to give more attenuation? I just soldered it together like a well trained monkey from the excellent instructions that Gene provided, so I can't say I really understand the circuit.
They both get plenty loud but the Origin 20 can be played at low volume and still sound good. I was never able to get the SV20 to sound good at listenable volumes. I once played both in stereo for a gig and asked my bandmates how it sounded. They both replied, "you just sounded louder." Philistines...

svinyard

Reaction score
They both get plenty loud but the Origin 20 can be played at low volume and still sound good. I was never able to get the SV20 to sound good at listenable volumes. I once played both in stereo for a gig and asked my bandmates how it sounded. They both replied, "you just sounded louder." Philistines...
you can get a nice-ish clean tone at low volume on the SV. You just have to knock down your guitar volume to a 2 or 3 and jumper it to control how thick. I prefer that over the Origin choked down. You can use a pedal to add some dirt in a pinch. 4 holer NMV opens up using your guitar volume / tone knob unlike most others amps.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
……….. You can use a pedal to add some dirt in a pinch. 4 holer NMV opens up using your guitar volume / tone knob unlike most other amps.
Ive always use the guitars volume knob with all different kinds of amps over the years, mv and nmv, especially when gigging, (a 100 years ago)! :D

It made no difference if the amps were mv or nmv, l recall it always working well for me. Most always with a Les Paul.

At least that’s been my experience.

svinyard

Reaction score
Ive always use the guitars volume knob with all different kinds of amps over the years, mv and nmv, especially when gigging, (a 100 years ago)! :D

It made no difference if the amps were mv or nmv, l recall it always working well for me. Most always with a Les Paul.

At least that’s been my experience.
Agreed but go do that and drop the guitar volume to a 2-3. It’ll likely sound like crap (tho maybe I’m wrong?).
When I do that on my dsl/Tsl or whatever other amp, I only have so much leeway before the tone gets covered in a blanket. 4 holer gets a good tone from 2 to 10. Clean is 2-3 and crunch is 5-6, lead is 7-10.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just got an SV20, and to answer my own question... The SV20 in 5 watt mode is just a bit louder than the Origin 20 in 3 watt mode, when running the JohnH M2 attenuator with all three stages engaged. I'm guessing this really isn't too loud at all by most people's standards.
I have the SV20 it does get loud you don’t need a attenuator if you have a good pedal rig with a Wah that also has volume use it for volume set the amp the way you want it use the volume pedal and your guitar to roll the volume as needed . I don’t know why every where I see says buy a attenuation device hell Varaic is cheaper and will lower your voltage as Randy Rhoads and EVH did for decades and decades I use one from time to time and turn down to about 95 to play low volumes . Enjoy

Mark Collier

Reaction score
Sorry, unless i misread the OP's first post I think some of the answers here are wide of the mark.

For reference, I ran/run all of mine into the SV or SC20 2x12 Vertical Cab (V-Type Celestions).

For my use, unless you are gigging or band practice, the SV20 is generally too loud without some form of attenuation, be it input volume control, Speaker Attenuation or whatever. IMO.

I use the Bugera PS1 very successfully.

The Origin 20 on the other hand is very easy to control the volume at semi-home-friendly levels. Simply by balancing the Master volume, the tilt and the gain with the 3-step (power scaling) attenuation switch.

I had the SV20 and the Origin together fro a long time, now I use the SC20 and the Origin. The SC20 is easy to manage volume on the low input and hard (I again use the PS1) on the high input.

Origin requires no PS1 usage ...for me at least.

Reaction score
SV20 has no master volume ! the SC20 does you will have more control not the same amp by no means

kman

Reaction score
The 20 watt amps do not have enough bite.
You wish for bite, you have to have 100 watts around there somewhere.
I have daisy chained my 20 watt Jubilee into a 100 watt Peavey Valveking.
Now there is some BITE!

kman

Reaction score
Doesn't have to be " break the windows" loud.
Without 100 watts, you will always be searching for bite.
20 watt Jubilee sounds great, but is short on real bite.
DSL100 will have bite to spare.

Reaction score
Get what you want Dave11 if you want the SV20
Go after it they do sound great you’ll figure it out once you have it in possession. Maybe if you have a store close that has one try there before you buy I think most places these days give a 45 day return if you don’t like it send it back no foul no harm but good luck with what ever you choose by the way all Have a great thanksgiving

svinyard

Reaction score
Doesn't have to be " break the windows" loud.
Without 100 watts, you will always be searching for bite.
20 watt Jubilee sounds great, but is short on real bite.
DSL100 will have bite to spare.
Geez dude, when I crank the SV to 8 and hit it hard…it’s got PLENTY of bite. 115db with low end to spare. Tho it’s not a perfect or whatever (only 20w and all) but bite it has.

I also play on a 100w TSL122 at rehearsals with a great drummer for reference. What you are saying isn’t what I experience. Obviously the TSL has more headroom on the clean channel but when I play it with high gain (which is how I play it), it’s kickass…so kickass. But I don’t walk away ears ringing and go “oh my SV cranked is weak has no bite compared to that heavy bitch”. If anything the SV has TOO much bite often and I’ll jumper it.

Last edited: