Origin 4x12 ORI412A First Impression

• Thread starter Salty Rose
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Salty Rose

Reaction score

I've had my ORI50H for a few months now. I recorded my album with it, with a JCM410B 4x10 cabinet, right after I got it. I've used my Origin 50 head for shows with a 2x12 2045 cab. Last rock 'n roll show I did (with a very loud band) revealed that I could actually make use of (and prolly need, for the Pretty Uglys gig, anyways) a 4x12. Master and gain dime'd on 50 watts, nothing left to give with those two twelve inchers, and realized I coulda maybe used a little more horsepower.

In the mothball fleet, I have a one-hundred-pound 'Big M' B box, that I only use when I can get help lifting it. It's sort of an oddball. 'B' box, with an 'A' baffle. I decided I wanted something lighter, newer, and a little more conventional. Enter the Origin 4x12.

I love the ORI50H. I like the look of the ORI412A and B cabinets. And I like the idea of pairing them. Somebody asked, in another thread, about the Origin cabs... Lots of opinions offered about the merits higher grade Marshall cabs. But not much information offered specific to the Origin cabs. (For instance I wondered if they came sans caster cups, with just rubber feet, which wouldn't surprise me at the price point.) So I consulted the Googles... Turned out I couldn't find much specific info on them online. There seems to be a real dearth of info on the G12E-60 in particular (ie: sensitivity, frequency response, etc...). No brick and mortar retailers around here have 'em, either. So I threw caution to the wind did what any self respecting gasser would do. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the ORI412A. Here's my first impression-
  • Regarding the build materials and speakers. I'm not dissuaded by MDF and lower class Celestion's because I've had very good luck with my JCM410B which is categorically similar. The G12E-60 speakers in the ORI412A look reminiscent of the 1990's Marshall "Gold Back Series" Celestions in my JCM410B. I peeked inside the ORI412A and it looks like it was put together well.
  • The tolex feels very soft and I wouldn't have expectation's of it looking good for long, being moved around without a cover. I have a cover on order from Roqsolid.
  • I like the 800 era single speaker jack.
  • This cabinet does have the feet which have receptacles for Marshall casters. In the initial move from truck to house, indication is yes, get some casters.
  • Skid trays are absent from the roof of the cabinet.
  • It's 30 pounds lighter than ye old Big M 4x12 cabinet. With judicious use of dollys and moving blankets I was able to get the ORI412A into the house;).
  • I made a sample video of me noodling a bit on the low five watt setting. With this cab, it's a loud five watts. I may be able to revert from 50, to the 10 watt setting, for shows. I included a photo of the settings used (except the master was on 10, I musta turned it down before shooting the pic).
  • Looking forward to cranking this bastard. To sum up my first impression- Sounds like a Marshall to me.:hbang:
IMG_2169.jpg IMG_2109.jpg IMG_2113.JPG IMG_2110.jpg IMG_2112.JPG IMG_2114.JPG IMG_2116.JPG IMG_2118.JPG IMG_2119.JPG IMG_2170.jpg

Last edited:

Salty Rose

Reaction score

jdm66

Reaction score
I have the exact setup, and I LOVE IT!!!!!! I'm going to put some greenbacks in,which I think will make this cabinet really come alive!
xptXKsT.jpg

Lance Chambers

Reaction score
I actually like the look of the Origin cabs. It would look great as a full stack.:shred:

I was just comparing the dimensions of the ORI412 to a 1960 cab on Marshall's website and they appear to be almost identical in size with the exception being a 1960 cab is 10mm wider and 5mm taller.............so basically the same size.

Surprisingly though, the ORI412 is ONLY 12lbs lighter than a 1960 cab. Those with bad backs be warned.
:agreed:

Last edited:

Salty Rose

Reaction score
FYI: After further research (from Marshall's website) the ORI412 cabs and the MX412 cabs are identical in specifications. The only variance is the cosmetics.

:cheers:
I noticed the same thing, considered the MX because it has corner protectors. Decided to go wit the ORI aesthetics, gold trim and all, and just get a good cover for transport.

Salty Rose

Reaction score
I actually like the look of the Origin cabs. It would look great as a full stack.:shred:

I was just comparing the dimensions of the ORI412 to a 1960 cab on Marshall's website and they appear to be almost identical in size with the exception being a 1960 cab is 10mm wider and 5mm taller.............so basically the same size.

Surprisingly though, the ORI412 is ONLY 12lbs lighter than a 1960 cab. Those with bad backs be warned.
I'm in the bad back club. Anymore, I count every pound.:rofl:

Been using small combo's and 2x12's for years. Got involved with a real old-school super-loud rock band and found I actually had use for a half stack.:hbang:

True, in the specs for weight, the ORI412A isn't that much lighter than a 1960. But for the past ten years, on the rare occasion I needed artillery, the 4x12 I've been dealing with is this beast...
IMG_2173.jpg
It's made of a combination of particle, and thick-ass ply, and weighs every bit of one hundred pounds. It's up for sale as of today:applause:

Lance Chambers

Reaction score
........considered the MX because it has corner protectors......

I've been shopping the MX cabs recently (strictly for the cosmetics) because it is the matching cab for my DSL100HR amp. While I do like the shiny black Tolex on the R series those ORI cabs look classy. It's like the MX was built for the local watering hole, while the ORI is built to shine at the Lincoln Center.

Salty Rose

Reaction score
I have the exact setup, and I LOVE IT!!!!!! I'm going to put some greenbacks in,which I think will make this cabinet really come alive!
xptXKsT.jpg
Sweet looking rig!
I have two G12M25’s (1975 era black backs). In a 2045 cabinet. Can’t go wrong with greenbacks:hbang:

mrloud100

Reaction score
I think they’re a little bit bigger than a MG can. The Origin and MX cabs are close copies of the 1960 cabs, but they’re mdf instead of ply. The MG cabs have a MG model speaker, ORI & MX have the G12E60.
I'm familiar with the MG cabs and wasn't a fan of those. I'm not scared away by MDF because all my cabs have been that. I'm familiar with the Seventy 80 speakers which I think sound like G12T-75s. I wonder if the G12E60s sound a bit like the G12T-60s?

Salty Rose

Reaction score
I'm familiar with the MG cabs and wasn't a fan of those. I'm not scared away by MDF because all my cabs have been that. I'm familiar with the Seventy 80 speakers which I think sound like G12T-75s. I wonder if the G12E60s sound a bit like the G12T-60s?
I can’t answer that... I have some 70’s era black-back G12M25’s, newer Heritage G12H30’s, and 90’s era gold-back series speakers. And I’ve used G12M75s in the past.

The only Celestion speakers I ever used that I really didn’t like are some G12M70’s that I got in a 4104 combo from 1984. I knew right away that I didn’t like those when I got that amp.

My first impression is the G12E60’s are adequate.

mrloud100

Reaction score
I can’t answer that... I have some 70’s era black-back G12M25’s, newer Heritage G12H30’s, and 90’s era gold-back series speakers. And I’ve used G12M75s in the past.

The only Celestion speakers I ever used that I really didn’t like are some G12M70’s that I got in a 4104 combo from 1984. I knew right away that I didn’t like those when I got that amp.

My first impression is the G12E60’s are adequate.
Are you familiar with the MG cabs? I guess I'm wondering if I can get a comparison with someone that used both. I had to pretty much give the MG cab away because nobody wanted it.

I'll admit these cabs look cool. Kind of reminds me of the AVT limited edition cabs that had a similar cloth.

I have two pretty good Marshall cabinets at the moment. I have owned a Marshall 1936 since the mid 2000s which I have went through the stock speakers (G12T-75s), V30 and currently Greenbacks. I acquired a MX112 and it is a nice cab for what it is.

I would love a budget full stack. Just trying decide on whether this would be worth the hassle. Haha.

Salty Rose

Reaction score
Are you familiar with the MG cabs? I guess I'm wondering if I can get a comparison with someone that used both. I had to pretty much give the MG cab away because nobody wanted it.

I'll admit these cabs look cool. Kind of reminds me of the AVT limited edition cabs that had a similar cloth.

I have two pretty good Marshall cabinets at the moment. I have owned a Marshall 1936 since the mid 2000s which I have went through the stock speakers (G12T-75s), V30 and currently Greenbacks. I acquired a MX112 and it is a nice cab for what it is.

I would love a budget full stack. Just trying decide on whether this would be worth the hassle. Haha.
I have a 1936 with Heritage green 30’s- the 55hz ones.:)

I’m thinking the same- Origin stack. Gonna wait to get the B cab till I see if I really like the A cab after I abuse it a little :hbang:

Salty Rose

Reaction score
Save the Tolex!
Covers are here. I’ve used these Roqsolid Covers for a few years. They’re made of this cordura- type of material that holds up very well to being dragged in and out of the back of a truck. Felt lined. Nice option that diaper thing that goes across the bottom. Isn’t the bottom the first thing to get tore up?
Nice work, Chaps:uk:
80353529-D82B-4901-954F-9FD3CC211E4A.jpeg 1494738A-A157-4CE2-A828-1F1DBFB08874.jpeg 7D500E46-6ACD-4F7C-966B-3A6A505C5E31.jpeg
image.jpg

Last edited: