Origin 4x12 ORI412A First Impression

• Thread starter Salty Rose
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mrloud100

Reaction score
Hi, I ended up ordering a Origin 212 Cab. I wanted a half stack but I knew it would be too much for me. I can't wait to compare to a 1936 cabinet. My favorite speakers are the seventy 80 so I kinda have an idea what I'm getting into. Can't wait to get this thing!

Salty Rose

Reaction score
Hi, I ended up ordering a Origin 212 Cab. I wanted a half stack but I knew it would be too much for me. I can't wait to compare to a 1936 cabinet. My favorite speakers are the seventy 80 so I kinda have an idea what I'm getting into. Can't wait to get this thing!
Keep us posted for sure!

mrloud100

Reaction score
It arrived:

full

mrloud100

Reaction score
It sounds really good with the Marshall Origin 50 H. I tried today with a EHX MIG 50 and I was getting buzzing on some notes. I had the same results with a MX112. I tried the MIG 50 with my 1936 and it could handle it but just barely. I tried a bunch of EQ setting so we can count out user error.

I'm kinda torn because I love the cab with the Marshall but I still wanted to use it with the MIG 50. I was thinking of trying a Orange Cab originally but I'm thinking I could get the same results with the buzzing... I might try to pick up a 4x12 off craigslist because I really want a 1960. I have returned the MIG 50 before and regretted it so I still want to keep the amp.

emitch.sr

Reaction score

I've had my ORI50H for a few months now. I recorded my album with it, with a JCM410B 4x10 cabinet, right after I got it. I've used my Origin 50 head for shows with a 2x12 2045 cab. Last rock 'n roll show I did (with a very loud band) revealed that I could actually make use of (and prolly need, for the Pretty Uglys gig, anyways) a 4x12. Master and gain dime'd on 50 watts, nothing left to give with those two twelve inchers, and realized I coulda maybe used a little more horsepower.

In the mothball fleet, I have a one-hundred-pound 'Big M' B box, that I only use when I can get help lifting it. It's sort of an oddball. 'B' box, with an 'A' baffle. I decided I wanted something lighter, newer, and a little more conventional. Enter the Origin 4x12.

I love the ORI50H. I like the look of the ORI412A and B cabinets. And I like the idea of pairing them. Somebody asked, in another thread, about the Origin cabs... Lots of opinions offered about the merits higher grade Marshall cabs. But not much information offered specific to the Origin cabs. (For instance I wondered if they came sans caster cups, with just rubber feet, which wouldn't surprise me at the price point.) So I consulted the Googles... Turned out I couldn't find much specific info on them online. There seems to be a real dearth of info on the G12E-60 in particular (ie: sensitivity, frequency response, etc...). No brick and mortar retailers around here have 'em, either. So I threw caution to the wind did what any self respecting gasser would do. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the ORI412A. Here's my first impression-
  • Regarding the build materials and speakers. I'm not dissuaded by MDF and lower class Celestion's because I've had very good luck with my JCM410B which is categorically similar. The G12E-60 speakers in the ORI412A look reminiscent of the 1990's Marshall "Gold Back Series" Celestions in my JCM410B. I peeked inside the ORI412A and it looks like it was put together well.
  • The tolex feels very soft and I wouldn't have expectation's of it looking good for long, being moved around without a cover. I have a cover on order from Roqsolid.
  • I like the 800 era single speaker jack.
  • This cabinet does have the feet which have receptacles for Marshall casters. In the initial move from truck to house, indication is yes, get some casters.
  • Skid trays are absent from the roof of the cabinet.
  • It's 30 pounds lighter than ye old Big M 4x12 cabinet. With judicious use of dollys and moving blankets I was able to get the ORI412A into the house;).
  • I made a sample video of me noodling a bit on the low five watt setting. With this cab, it's a loud five watts. I may be able to revert from 50, to the 10 watt setting, for shows. I included a photo of the settings used (except the master was on 10, I musta turned it down before shooting the pic).
  • Looking forward to cranking this bastard. To sum up my first impression- Sounds like a Marshall to me.:hbang:
View attachment 62633 View attachment 62635 View attachment 62636 View attachment 62637 View attachment 62638 View attachment 62639 View attachment 62640 View attachment 62641 View attachment 62642 View attachment 62643

How has your experience thus far been the origin 412 still happy?
Im thinking about the origin 212 or 412 and likely swapping speakers the cab will stay in the same spot %99 of the time but will match my superlead in appearance
And you are right very little info on these I’m surprised that they released a vintage looking cab with small logo looks like period correct late 60s early 70s to me but I’m no aficionado

Last edited:

Salty Rose

Reaction score
How has your experience thus far been the origin 412 still happy?
Im thinking about the origin 212 or 412 and likely swapping speakers the cab will stay in the same spot %99 of the time but will match my superlead in appearance
And you are right very little info on these I’m surprised that they released a vintage looking cab with small logo looks like period correct late 60s early 70s to me but I’m no aficionado
My experience so far- For rocking at home it's great. I think that's portrayed well in that first video I did. With the Origin Head it is fun to play. I like the fact that it looks cool, matches the head, and was cheap. The speakers have magnets that are quite small, but I think that definitely helps with the weight, which was one of my main buying points. Having played it for a while I don't take any exception to the tone, as is (and I have Greenback cabinets and a T75 2x12 cab to compare it with). The Origin is a price point cab, and seen from that perspective, it holds its own compared to the top shelf stuff.
I've had occasion to blast it at a show. Video below. The stage volume was approaching brutal status. From my vantage point being right in front of the amp I couldn't really hear it, as I was awash in 'white noise' from cymbals, the other amps, and bounce back from the room. I was surprised when I heard the video later, how well defined the tone was, but that might be partially because the person filming was directly 'in the beam' of the amp. If I could have heard it from that vantage point I might have used a lot less of the Presence knob. It stood up to some serious abuse.

I did a video with a 1959slp with the ORI412A for grins. It's a 240 watt cab so it's rated for it. This video is actually played at a low volume with a Maxon pedal because it was a night, at home, didn't want to cause too much of a ruckus. I'm with ya on all points- far as the look, the lack of info, etc... To me it does have vintage vibe/look. A real one would have gold piping on top, just inboard of the corners. And while I'm no aficionado either, really, I did recently see a real 1960's vintage 1960A at Norm's. Real deal basket-weave, the whole nine. They only wanted $3700. After seeing that, my take, the ORI412 is not even close to being a vague facsimile of a real one. But it's well over $3000 cheaper, and I think you still could call the look "period inspired", and have a ton of fun enjoying the vibe.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good tones in those videos! Here’s my Origin 50 half stack - with the ORI412B cab. I just replaced the stock speakers with two WGS greenback types on top and two Sheffield 1200 EVH speakers on bottom.
rNoYqf6.jpg
Looks great Too!