ORIGIN 50H FX LOOP QUESTION

• Thread starter spacetruckin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

spacetruckin

Reaction score
Does the footswitch need to be plugged in and turned on to actually activate the fx loop? I tried plugging a JHS Little Black Amp Box into the loop and it did nothing. Dawned on me that it could have been because I wasn't using the footswitch? Gear is at the practice space where I won't be able to try for another few days, so here I am! thanks in advance

WellBurnTheSky

Reaction score
Depending on how the footswitch is wired, you could probably build a dummy plug to act as the footswitch (probably just a TRS plug with either ring and shield or tip and shield shorted) and keep the FX loop engaged. Would cost you about 2$, and be unobstrusive (if using a pancake plug). I'd definitely try that.

spacetruckin

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys! I have the footswitch, just didn't bother plugging it in because I was unaware that I needed it to engage the fx loop. So lucky for me I won't be out any extra cash

spacetruckin

Reaction score
Depending on how the footswitch is wired, you could probably build a dummy plug to act as the footswitch (probably just a TRS plug with either ring and shield or tip and shield shorted) and keep the FX loop engaged. Would cost you about 2$, and be unobstrusive (if using a pancake plug). I'd definitely try that.
interesting trick! I'll keep this in mind if I decide I can't be bothered with the large footprint of the f/s

Jason Fieldhouseespk

Reaction score
I'm working on it... was supposed to work on a fix sometime this week, but my engineer friend isn't free until Friday, so it might not even get done this week now, sorry everyone.

Yeah, my plan is to make it switchable, with a mini switch, so the jack plug idea is internal.... you flick it up the loop is on, down and it's footswitchable...

I'm also planning the Trainwreck Type 3 PPIMV...

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm working on it... was supposed to work on a fix sometime this week, but my engineer friend isn't free until Friday, so it might not even get done this week now, sorry everyone.

Yeah, my plan is to make it switchable, with a mini switch, so the jack plug idea is internal.... you flick it up the loop is on, down and it's footswitchable...

I'm also planning the Trainwreck Type 3 PPIMV...
I have been following your posts on the mods you are going to make!
Please share some clips of your work when you get them done and a review please!
Cheers Mitch

Jason Fieldhouseespk

Reaction score
do tell us how that works out for you! been considering it myself if the volume box in the loop doesn't work out for me. Depending on cost I might just buy an attenuator instead, but I really like the idea of an extra knob instead of an extra piece of gear

The FX Loop appears to go before the current Pre PI master volume, so I cant see any change in using a vol pedal.in the loop... but an attenuator would be the best way I can think of to keep the full sound and drop it down to a fraction of the decibel level, better even than the MV mod I'm gonna do....

Jason Fieldhouseespk

Reaction score
Calling all tech heads, my 20 head is the shop but the tevhnis on holiday, so I cant access it.
I'm tracing the amp and drawing a schematic up for it, but with limited pictures to go on and not able to get the bpardnout and turn it over, it's slow going....

I'd like to ask some help.

Can any of you whom don't mind getting a screwdriver out and just opening it up, if you wouldn't mind, could you take some clearer, close up pictures of each of the valves and the components around them? I'm struggling to see the bands so I can work out what they each are, and confirm their correspondence to the circuit?

Thank you to anyone who can help with any of this. You would then all be able to view a draft schematic of these amps...

Mark1972

Reaction score
I have been following your posts on the mods you are going to make!
Please share some clips of your work when you get them done and a review please!
Cheers Mitch
Hi I have just picked up an Origin 50H and that trs Jack trick sounds great. Please can you share a schematic

Thanks

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi I have just picked up an Origin 50H and that trs Jack trick sounds great. Please can you share a schematic

Thanks
The only thing I have done is take an instrument cable and ran from the FX send into a lead 100 mosfet instrument in.
The reverse method was to go from one of my Dsl40c’s FX send into the Origin’s FX return.
I really haven’t used the trs jack for anything.
And I have no schematic, sorry.
Mitch

Jason Fieldhouseespk

Reaction score
There was a nice chap who sketched a diagram of the footswitch jack socket, and how to switch it to always on...

I thought he'd said use a regular TS jack plug, plug it in 1 click.... will check that out again tomorrow at practice.

Beebe

Reaction score
There was a nice chap who sketched a diagram of the footswitch jack socket, and how to switch it to always on...

I thought he'd said use a regular TS jack plug, plug it in 1 click.... will check that out again tomorrow at practice.

I plugged in a TS foot switch I built and it controls the gain boost/channel.

I tried the fx loop with this cable plugged in and it didn't work. I thought the TS plug would short the ring on the jack to ground and turn on the fx loop, but no dice.

Is this resistor needed for it to work?

Thanks!

Beebe

Reaction score
Ok .. it looks like this post explains it. To keep the fx loop engaged, it looks like a trs inserted without the ring grounded will do it.

So I should be able to just switch out the TS plug for a TRS plug and still control the gain using the tip and keep the ring open to keep the loop engaged.

Ok, just ran some tests on my O20H:

No FS is obviously no boost, no loop.
TRS cable in the FS jack turns on both.
Short tip to sleeve - turns off boost.
Short ring to sleeve - turns off loop.

Beebe

Reaction score
Ok .. it looks like this post explains it. To keep the fx loop engaged, it looks like a trs inserted without the ring grounded will do it.

So I should be able to just switch out the TS plug for a TRS plug and still control the gain using the tip and keep the ring open to keep the loop engaged.

Yup. This worked.