Origin Line- Anyone Able To Confirm If There's Any Solid State Inside?

• Thread starter Yamariv
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Yamariv

Reaction score
Lots of talk of light weight and low price, anyone able to confirm it's full tube inside? I'm interested in the 50w Head..

Chris Martins

Reaction score
Full tube as stated by Steve the demo guy. Sounds real good too in a couple of videos and I'm getting the 50 watt head. :)

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it tube rectified?..if not there's diodes in there somewhere.....not in the signal chain but silicon none the less..:)

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score
When I was a kid I used to think the "Tube / Solid-State" switch on a Dual Rectifier turned it from a tube into a solid state amp. I was like, why would anyone pay $2000 and switch it over to a solid state amp? My solid state red-knob Fender combo amp was only $199! Kids today have no idea how hard it was to learn about gear pre-internet.

Last edited:

Jr Deluxe

Reaction score
It has reverb right? Thats probably dsp. And so some of the recovery gain will be transister most likely. Recovery from effects loop probably probably not tube. All Tube is a term that is losing its meaning these days. To me, unless the rectifier is pretty much the only non cap, resistor, tube part in the amp its not ALL TUBE. That means giving up active eq, channel switching, fx loop, most onboard fx besides tube recovered reverb or bias tremelo.

Ghostman

Reaction score
I always thought of "All Tube" only referred to the audio signal path not going through any transistors. Silicon rectified DC power, would be outside of that signal path. I think the only advantage of the tube rectifier stage would be the power sag under heavy loads, and that spongy feeling that comes with it.

Jr Deluxe

Reaction score
Today ALL TUBE seems to refer to all tube distortion. Transistors and IC or Microprocessors any where else is accepted and still have an all tube designation of some type.

Crunchifyable

Reaction score
Lots of talk of light weight and low price, anyone able to confirm it's full tube inside? I'm interested in the 50w Head..

If you're concerned you'd have to wait until someone gets one and opens up the chassis.

I doubt Marshall would throw anything solid state in there beside the obvious.

First of all, it's a very simple amp, with not a ton of gain on tap. If it comes listed with 3 12ax7s and the power tube(s), then you can safely assume there's no shenanigans because there's really no need to be. It's not as if they are trying to use one 12ax7 to replace 3 a la Blackstar.

The metal and wood probably weigh less. Maybe they finally switched to plywood construction. If Bugera can use plywood, why can't Marshall?

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
As someone in the thread asked, I, too, thought the Origin amps had built-in reverb, but I now see they do not. For some reason I thought it did, and so I went looking for a reverb tank, DSP, etc., but nothing to it.

I wonder about the "tilt" adjustment knob in the equalisation control section. Could that be a solid state feature connected to something like a MOSFET? Though it does have a "presence" control, I'm not sure how "tilt" works in the circuit since "tilt" control is not something I can remember being on past Marshalls (perhaps Marshall renamed it from something else). I also wonder if the effects loop is mixed into the signal via tube (I suspect it is, but no way to be sure right now).

It does seem pretty stripped down, which will appeal to a lot of people. No likes to mislead by marketing, but so far from what I'm hearing it sounds pretty good, whatever the signal path. Still, place a digital reverb in the loop (or wherever) and does the all-tube distinction even matter anymore?

chiliphil1

Reaction score
As someone in the thread asked, I, too, thought the Origin amps had built-in reverb, but I now see they do not. For some reason I thought it did, and so I went looking for a reverb tank, DSP, etc., but nothing to it.

I wonder about the "tilt" adjustment knob in the equalisation control section. Could that be a solid state feature connected to something like a MOSFET? Though it does have a "presence" control, I'm not sure how "tilt" works in the circuit since "tilt" control is not something I can remember being on past Marshalls (perhaps Marshall renamed it from something else). I also wonder if the effects loop is mixed into the signal via tube (I suspect it is, but no way to be sure right now).

It does seem pretty stripped down, which will appeal to a lot of people. No likes to mislead by marketing, but so far from what I'm hearing it sounds pretty good, whatever the signal path. Still, place a digital reverb in the loop (or wherever) and does the all-tube distinction even matter anymore?

The tilt switches between “normal” and “high treble” inputs. Rather than having to plug the cord into one or the other like a Plexi the tilt allows you to choose how much of each you want, like a jumpered Plexi.

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
The tilt switches between “normal” and “high treble” inputs. Rather than having to plug the cord into one or the other like a Plexi the tilt allows you to choose how much of each you want, like a jumpered Plexi.
Hi Phil.
Since the "tilt" is designed as a rotary control knob, which allows for variation as opposed to fixed input as you describe, would the "tilt" control in this case be wired up to some kind of solid-state component? I'm not sure about any of this, but at this point I'm only asking.

My only familiarity with "tilt" control features comes from an old solid-state Fender Pro 185 2x12 combo. The "tilt" feature on that also affected tone, but it's function was more like the "normal" and "high" inputs you described. Again, my amp was an all solid state design, but it got me thinking if there is also a solid state aspect to the "tilt" feature in the Origin.