Origin or DSL?

• Thread starter webcat
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Moony

Reaction score
Could someone confirm this?

I don't know what's "bizarre" with having a presence and resonance knob on an amp.
These are normally just EQ functions of the power amp - not of the preamp.
You can add a "resonance" to any amp with a negative feedback loop and it's a common mod on eg. JCM800s - it's just a pot with a capacitor to "boost" low frequencies.
With "presence" you can dial in the amount of high treble. It's not the same as the treble knob of the EQ. And how it works or better say how you dial it in the best way depends on how loud you play the amp.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
I love my Origin 50w. It's almost as good as my last vintage Marshall 100w 1972. Great cleans and awesome dirties since you use a pedal in front of it. But I know, it's an amp for those who like vintage style amps and may have limitations for more modern guitarists.

My Origin 50 with the gain at full and a boost to push it harder:

Excellent playing and spot on tone !!

Neptical

Reaction score
Thank you my friend,, but I suck at lead playing..

Cheers

Simple single notes that follow within your chord progressions with a little bit of delay would be pure gold, man. You have it in you!

Following that simple technique is such an easy and melodic way of capturing the audience. Our favorite players use this same exact structure!

Last edited:

mark123

Reaction score
I’ve never played an Origin so I have no clue except what I read, and what I read is confusing. Lots of guys love them and lots of guys are really vocal about how much they dislike these amps, (Origin line).

More so than any other amp, I’ve heard opinions that are widely apart from each other. Like I said, it seems owners either really love or really hate these amps, not a lot of middle ground as far as I can see.

J.LaGrassa

Reaction score
I've had a few DSL/TSL amps over the years my favorites were the DSL50 and DSL40C, had the 40CR and didn't really care for that one as much as the others. Just picked up a Origin 20 Head and actually enjoying that more than any other Marshall I've owned! I like the cleaner type tones I get and love using dirt pedals to drive it, The only way your going to know what works best is to try both if possible but both are good usable amps.

Denis St Guinefort

Reaction score
I do own a Dsl but not an Origin, but I’m pretty sure they are very different. DSL’s go from a really nice clean in the green channel to gobs of gain in the red channel.

Origin’s also has very nice cleans but they don’t have all the gain of a Dsl, if that’s important to you.

Origins are kinda like a poor man’s Plexi, I don’t mean that as a pejorative though, it just seem to fit that description I think.

Obviously if you can play both that’s the best scenario, YouTube videos are only slightly helpful when judging tone imo.

Indeed, the Origin amps are affordable Plexis. I owned the real thing way back in the early 70s, and my Ori20C does a great job at much more decent sound level. It also depends on the sound you desire. You mentioned a cleaner sound. Are you aiming at Classic Rock with the related clean/crunch/heavy, the latter of course isn't heavy compared to today's type.

I tried a DSL20C and bought a DSL1H, which I didn't keep. To me, I might be wrong though, the clean channel doesn't do as good a job in duplicating my old Plexi sound. However, I parted with the true head during the late 70s. The DSL dirty channel offers, in my humble opinion, too much of a modern sound.

However, Origin amps need a preamp boost to achieve the sound popular way back, decades ago. If you check Ritchie Blackmore, Page, and others, they all used before preamp boosting. The Origin amps, to my ears, have a boost that sounds like a post preamp one, so there's a true volume increase. A Boss SD-1, or a DS-1, Tube Screamer, or a plain boost does an excellent job. If you want reverb, the only solution involves a pedal reverb through the effect loop.

SJMack

Reaction score
I’m currently using a Katana 100w 2x12, overall really like it but thinking of going back to Marshall. I’ve previously had a TSL100 half stack and JCM900 1x12 and loved both.

I mainly play a Les Paul, typical rock stuff. Also have a strat and Tele and I’m getting more into cleaner sounds and also learning fingerpicking. So I want something reasonably versatile.

I’m not a huge effects guy, I have delay, chorus and a tube screamer. But I’m aware the Origin is one channel with no reverb.

Is that alone reason to get the DSL instead, or is the Origin still usable for having a rhythm tone and getting a boost for solos without another pedal?

General opinions on each model would be welcome. I’m looking at the Origin 50w or DSL40w
I have Two DSL 40.. Great versatile amp..3 Channels, no stomp boxes needed tons of Marshall gain and you can set up the two masters using one as a boost.. Marshall sells a foot switch that gives u control over all the channels and masters.. Get the new one CR has a good V type speaker.Amp also sounds great at lower volumes so u don't have to blow ur ears out to keep ur tone..Only down side to this amp is the Reverb..but I don't use that much anyway s.. Good Luck

Dave J

Reaction score
Haha! I haven't played Fractal or Kemper so can't compare directly, but yes, the Katana does it really well.

Here's a short (3 minute) video I recorded last year, I was just playing around with the tone varieties from a new guitar rather than trying to demonstrate the Kat, but the amp settings never change and the video is me changing pickups and playing with the volume and tone knobs. I think there are also examples of lighter and harder playing for the dynamics, but it's mainly adjusting tone and volume.

It's a 1958 reissue, no mods, no pedals, direct to amp. Not the best playing but it was an experimental thing that I recorded as part of a discussion of the Les Paul's tonal range.. If you don't want to watch 3 minutes, jump to the 2 minute mark and I play Hit The Road Jack, you can hear it go from cleaner to dirty.

That does a pretty good job in the dynamics department ! Thanks for posting. Where you at right now with your search?

webcat

Reaction score
That does a pretty good job in the dynamics department ! Thanks for posting. Where you at right now with your search?
I forgot to also mention that video is on the 0.5w setting, which I use at home. The 50w and 100w settings are even better at dynamics.

As for the search, the DSL is out of stock everywhere I've looked and the only place that has an Origin is far enough away that I'd have to order it online and send it back if I didn't like it.

So my current plan is to spend more time with the Katana, watch more of The Studio Rats videos about getting the best tones from it, and see how I feel when the tube amps come back into stock where I can try them in person.

Latest posts