Outdoor Gig And Humidity = Sticky Guitar!

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Nitro will be sticky. The “scotchbrite” trick will not help much, IMO if your hands are going to be wet from perspiration. Fast fret is a good idea. Assuming you aren’t on a summer tour festival circuit, well…unpleasant experience had. Maybe remember a microfiber cloth tucked in your waistband btw songs for the neck if you ever do it again sometime in the future.

If I were going to see more regular outdoor gigs in such climates, I would seriously test an inconspicuous spot (control cavity/under pg for example) and passing that test, put some water-based Astroglide in a travel spray pump. Beware: they have silicone-based, which feels like bacon grease and silicone does NOT play well with nitro. I bet good money 2-3 spritzes of the ‘glide would do.

Outdoor gigs where the humidity is off the charts is the perfect time for some anal.

Vinsanitizer

aka "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
So much for that $4k guitar, I still play my $179 Yamaha F335 40 years later and still in 1 piece...

...and the strings are 40 years old, how you like them apples!
When I was 14 I had a Yamaha F335

... then my father got a job.

:rofl:

(Sorry, old joke. :D)

I've got a Yammy FG-something myself. Nice guitars for the price.

Oh - and the Yamaha's got poly gloss. I can sit in a lawn chair with the back scraping against the plastic arm rest, and that'll scuff the finish, but it always wipes right off. Laminated guitars have a definite place: you still can't let them dry out below 35% humidity, but they're not nearly as sensitive as the solid wood acoustics that sell for thousands.

Last edited: