• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Ozzy Era Sabbath - Looking for a recommendation

• Thread starter PaulHikeS2
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking to add a Sabbath record to my vinyl collection. I already own Paranoid, Vol. 4 and a greatest hits compilation in digital format but am looking for a good start to finish album that will be mostly new to me. Any recommendations?

Vol.4 is one of my favs.
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath sounds great on vinyl!

Sapient

 
Reaction score
Recommending albums that put Sabbath on a steep down slope then completely out cold is probably not good in regards to cost to benefit. At least figuratively.

There are those that like the black licorice but most don't.

@crossroadsnyc

JeffMcLeod

Reaction score
Black Sabbath w/Ozzy (wow did I just say it like that? As if there's anything else) is one of those rare groups where you can't really recommend any particular album(s) over the others.

Hence, the answer to your question is: All

You should probably go ahead and get all Sabbath/Ozzy albums (damn, there I go again). And go ahead and acquire them in no particular order.

:headbanger: :shred2: :pirate: :shred: :scream: :wallbash:

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Black Sabbath w/Ozzy is one of those rare groups where you can't really recommend any particular album(s) over the others.

Hence, the answer to your question is: All

You should probably go ahead and get all Sabbath/Ozzy albums. And go ahead and acquire them in no particular order.

:headbanger: :shred2: :pirate: :shred: :scream: :wallbash:

This is totally true. Not many bands out there like that ... the only other one I can think of off hand is VH with DLR.

JeffMcLeod

Reaction score
This is totally true. Not many bands out there like that ... the only other one I can think of off hand is VH with DLR.

Wow, we think VERY much alike. I'm thinking of VH as I was typing that, lol.

And we need to stop saying "...with [LEAD SINGER]..."). I mean, Brian Johnson and Back in Black is epic, but there's really only one Bon Scott, lol.

PaulHikeS2

Reaction score
Wow, we think VERY much alike. I'm thinking of VH as I was typing that, lol.

And we need to stop saying "...with [LEAD SINGER]..."). I mean, Brian Johnson and Back in Black is epic, but there's really only one Bon Scott, lol.
You're right - in retrospect, I should have specified 70s Sabbath as that fits too. Come to think of it, that works for AC/DC as well. Much better way to put it.

PaulHikeS2

Reaction score
Looks like it's down to Sabbath Bloody Sabbath or Master of Reality. Or maybe Black Sabbath, but I get the sense that that record is more "important" and that the others have slightly better songs. Heck, two of my favorite Sabbath songs are on Never Say Die, so I probably can't go wrong with anything. Except for Technical Ecstasy.

Thank you for all of the input!

end user

Reaction score
Looks like it's down to Sabbath Bloody Sabbath or Master of Reality. Or maybe Black Sabbath, but I get the sense that that record is more "important" and that the others have slightly better songs. Heck, two of my favorite Sabbath songs are on Never Say Die, so I probably can't go wrong with anything. Except for Technical Ecstasy.

Thank you for all of the input!

Guess it depends on how hardcore of a Sabbath fan you are. For me the only 2 albums I dont love or at least like are Forbidden, 13 and Tyr.

JeffMcLeod

Reaction score
Man, I LOVED that fat keyboard tone on "Jump" and "I'll Wait". But again, that was Van Halen keyboard stuff, not Van Hagar.

Oh I know. I probably should have said OR the keyboard stuff instead of AND the keyboard stuff, lol. Can't stand Jump or Panama or a lot of the other keyboard crap. Although I do like I'll Wait.

TheToneDig

Reaction score
Get all Sabbath with Ozzy.

Then get Ozzy's first two Blizzard of Oz and Diary of a Madman. Bark at the Moon if you can find it.

Then start on the Sabbath with Dio.

Also, get all Rainbow with Dio and Ritchie Blackmore, especially Rising.

You will listen to them all for life. A core part of any hard rock/early metal collection.

Deep Purple Perfect Strangers for a trial if you want that sort of thing. Then, In Rock. Burn. Fireball. Machinehead.

Stack them next to each other and play at least one a day because a day without one of them isn't a good day.

IMO, Sabotage is the best Sabbath album with Masters a close second.