Painting my strat pickguard

• Thread starter Komanchy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Komanchy

Reaction score
Im interested in painting a couple small designs on my strat pickguard and I was wondering if anybody else out there has done so with success. I've read nail polish and acrylic paint work, but how long would they stay clean before they get worn down and could I possibly clear coat it to get the designs to stay longer?

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
The biggest obstacle in keeping paint on a plastic surface is making sure you take away the shine ... make sure to use a fine grit paper, and lightly go over the areas you want to paint, just taking off the 'shine' of the plastic.

I'd also recommend using paints used for arts/crafts/etc. projects ... for example, a hobby shop would be a very good place to look at various options.

Depending on how large the design, you might also want to consider using a plastic primer ... again, this will help the paint adhere to the plastic.

I have no clue about using nail polish, but my guess is that it'd flake off pretty easily.

brp

Reaction score
I've used arcrylic paint on plastic quite a bit. As crossroad said, you gotta scuff up something as smooth as a plastic strat pickguard.

On a related note that may be of use to you, I recently sanded a strat pickguard, not to paint it but to remove the top ply. When I had got the top ply off with 150 grit paper, the surface was very rough, perfect for painting. I then brought the shiny smooth back to the middle/now top ply with 600 grit paper. I'll probably go at it again with 2000 grit when I pick some up for my partscaster(s) finish coat.

Clearcoating over your painted work shouldn't be a problem either. Just make sure you use more than one coat, allow proper drying time between coats and sand between coats if you want it to be smooth.

Some engine enamal clear (available at autoparts stores) might be a better choice for clear than a polyeurathane for your application.

Quasar-Kid

Reaction score
Hit the pick guard with steel wool and you're good to go..!!!
I've done a bunch of 'em

fstrat59slp

Reaction score
Theaxix.jpg

My gf used acrylic paint and clear nail polish to cover it with..

Komanchy

Reaction score
I finally painted my pickgaurd, and my friend painted his guitar too. Here's a pic. (Mine's on the right his is on the left)

Attachments

• IMAG0058.jpg
    IMAG0058.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 20

Quasar-Kid

Reaction score
I finally painted my pickgaurd, and my friend painted his guitar too. Here's a pic. (Mine's on the right his is on the left)

I enjoy it when people do what they damn well please with their guitars..!!!
This pleases me
Sometimes I feel like telling guys: These things are just guitars / They are not Museum pieces

I approve (remember my approval is meaningless) :D