Pat Benatar Heartbreaker

• Thread starter oldmanrockin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

oldmanrockin

Reaction score
For anyone who plays this what tuning and key do you use? Its played in F i believe. But i have seen Nick play it in E on a live video. I have seen tutorials played in F# tuned down a half step. I just tuned my spare to F and played it in E, because i hate playing in F. For anyone who has seen them live any idea?

Redders

Reaction score
I believe the original is tuned down to Eb yep, so i'd just do it in that to save messing about!

Dmann

Reaction score
Yup this tune was in our Eb set.

The outro solo is much much fun, really enjoyed improvising on that.

oldmanrockin

Reaction score
So when you tune down to Eb, you play in F# as the root cord? The original is in the tone of F, but to me it is difficult to play in that key. As of now i tune up 1/2 step and play in E. I bet tuning down a half step and playing in F# maybe easier.

JeffMcLeod

Reaction score
Playing in E would have to be easier than playing in F#...in ANY song.

Not sure which is easier, E or A. I'd have to go with E. Probably the easiest key to play in. At least to me any.

Of course, I suck - I can't play in ANY key - so take that with a grain of salt. :rolleyes:

Iwanarock

Reaction score
First the original recording is NOT tuned down to Eb. And is played in the Key of F and Neil played it that way in standard tuning.

Now as Pat has gotten older it looks as the have moved the key to E on some live recordings. He still does not tune down to Eb he just playing it in E versus F in standard tuning. The evidence below:

Younger in their careers this recording and video is done in standard tuning in the Key for F

This Live recording is of a older Pat & Neil and here the Key is E, but still in standard tuning.

I have played this song in my bands for years and have always done it in standard tuning in the Key F. Personally i like the way it sound in the younger version of the song (F) vs the older version (E). But then again i have played it for so long it is probably stuck in my head that way.

I personally don't feel playing it in standard tuning in Key of F is difficult as long as you are comfortable with Bar Chords.

Dmann

Reaction score
So when you tune down to Eb, you play in F# as the root cord? The original is in the tone of F, but to me it is difficult to play in that key. As of now i tune up 1/2 step and play in E. I bet tuning down a half step and playing in F# maybe easier.
Yea that's what we chose in my last covers band. I never claimed it was how the song was played originally, nor do I care. For us it was about fitting it in the set list in the right place with other tunes and to accomidate guitar changes.

Its also easier, to powerchord the 2nd fret imo and for me, I'll take easier any day as it allows you to have fun.

oldmanrockin

Reaction score
I broke down and played it like the rest of my bandmates, in standard tuning, in F. Its not harder but for me i just dont use those progressions, so it seems weird. I agree it sounds better in the tone of F, and i didnt really find any help tuning down a half step and playing in F#. For me its still seems easier to tune to F and play E, but i am a team player.

zachman

Reaction score
For anyone who plays this what tuning and key do you use? Its played in F i believe. But i have seen Nick play it in E on a live video. I have seen tutorials played in F# tuned down a half step. I just tuned my spare to F and played it in E, because i hate playing in F. For anyone who has seen them live any idea?

It's in A440 in the key of F, on the original studio recording, This is a clip of my old band doing Heartbreaker: http://www.tonefinder.com/files/25-Heartbreaker.mp3

Last edited:

Latest posts