Peavey Classic 20 Head. $499

• Thread starter mtm105
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mtm105

Reaction score
Peavey Classic 20 Mini Head | Sweetwater.com

750-Class20MiniH_detail2.jpg

Peavey Classic 20 MH Tube Guitar Amplifier Head at a Glance:
  • Switchable wattage for great tube tone at any volume
  • Perfect for creating your own unique guitar tones
  • Designed for long-term performance
Switchable wattage for great tube tone at any volumeThe Peavey Classic 20 MH is perfect for practice and recording, thanks to its switchable 20-watt, 5-watt, or 1-watt operation. Lowering the wattage allows you to get cranked-amp tone and distortion at lower volume levels. Whether you're playing in your bedroom, in your studio, or onstage, you can dial in the perfect amount of tube tone and volume with the Classic 20 MH.
Perfect for creating your own unique guitar tonesWe've had the great opportunity to get to know Hartley Peavey here at Sweetwater, and we know that Peavey approaches guitar amp design with the goal of making them sound as unique as your playing style. The Classic 20 MH definitely has a vibrant sound to it and sensitive touch response, but it doesn't have a specific, defined voice. Spend some time with it, and you're sure to come up with a sound that is distinctly yours.
Designed for long-term performanceWe keep referring to the Classic 20 MH as a gig-ready amp, and we mean that Peavey designed this guitar amplifier with long-term performance in mind. Proper tube maintenance isn't the favorite activity of any guitarist, so the Classic 20 MH's Tube Status Indication makes it much easier to make sure your amp is always ready to rock. We know that sometimes a direct output is a much better solution than miking up your cabinet, and the Classic 20 MH's Mic Simulated Direct Interface makes it easy to plug directly into the PA with respectable tone. From practice to recording to performance, the Peavey Classic 20 MH is the kind of amp you can count on.
Peavey Classic 20 MH Tube Guitar Amplifier Head Features:
  • Mini tube amp head with switchable 20-watt, 5-watt, or 1-watt operation
  • Inject great tone directly into the PA system with the Microphone Simulated Direct Interface
  • USB output for easy recording direct to your DAW
  • Tube Status Indication lets you know your power tubes are still working properly
  • Footswitchable channels, effects loop, and reverb
You'll hit the stage with confidence with the Peavey Classic 20 MH in your rig!
Tech Specs

Type Tube Number of Channels 2 Total Power 20W/5W/1W Reverb Yes EQ 3-band Number of Tubes 5 Preamp Tubes 3 x 12AX7/ECC83 Power Tubes 2 x EL84 Inputs 1 x 1/4" Outputs 1 x XLR, 1 x 1/4" (Speaker), 1 x 1/8" Footswitch I/O Yes Effects Loop Yes

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Yup I've been looking for one of these to try and also the 6505MH.

FJP467

Reaction score
I do not have the Classic 20 but I do have the Valveking 20 and 6505 MH. They are both incredible amps for the money. I can not speak from direct experience, but if the Classic is anything like the Valveking or the 6505, the amp should be a homerun.

GuitarMutant

Reaction score
I do not have the Classic 20 but I do have the Valveking 20 and 6505 MH. They are both incredible amps for the money. I can not speak from direct experience, but if the Classic is anything like the Valveking or the 6505, the amp should be a homerun.

What big amps have you had the chance to compare the 6505mh to? If you have, what do you think comparatively? Like Isaid, mine was an impulse buy - a music store blew it out for $400, no tax, no shipping. So I ordered it. Not really sure what to expect, but I heard good things about the regular 6505. Figured it was worth it in novelty value alone. Interested in your comparisons and opinion.

FJP467

Reaction score
What big amps have you had the chance to compare the 6505mh to? If you have, what do you think comparatively? Like Isaid, mine was an impulse buy - a music store blew it out for $400, no tax, no shipping. So I ordered it. Not really sure what to expect, but I heard good things about the regular 6505. Figured it was worth it in novelty value alone. Interested in your comparisons and opinion.

The other amps I currently have are Marshall DSL-40C, Marshall JMD-1 50 watt head, Carvin X-100B, and a Blackstar HT-5M. To me, the Valveking and the 6505 MH have all of the amps covered. I can get whatever tone I need out of one of the little amps and a very moderate volume. The 6505 MH in particular has way more gain than you will ever need. It is a beast. That said, you can dial back the gain all of the way on the lead channel and you can dig into some very classic rock tones. The clean channel is not great ( which is why I got the valveking), but the crunch and lead channels are incredibly versatile. I can give you a very specific comparison against any of my amps but I do not want to hi-jack this thread when it was meant to be about the classic 20. Anxious to hear your thoughts on the mini head series too.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
The other amps I currently have are Marshall DSL-40C, Marshall JMD-1 50 watt head, Carvin X-100B, and a Blackstar HT-5M. To me, the Valveking and the 6505 MH have all of the amps covered. I can get whatever tone I need out of one of the little amps and a very moderate volume. The 6505 MH in particular has way more gain than you will ever need. It is a beast. That said, you can dial back the gain all of the way on the lead channel and you can dig into some very classic rock tones. The clean channel is not great ( which is why I got the valveking), but the crunch and lead channels are incredibly versatile. I can give you a very specific comparison against any of my amps but I do not want to hi-jack this thread when it was meant to be about the classic 20. Anxious to hear your thoughts on the mini head series too.

From the demos I saw of the Classic 20, it fits perfectly right in between the Valveking and the 6505 IMO, its got the clean and high gain and you can dial everything in between.

Anybody that has any of these amps, I'd be very interested in hearing about what the tone quality is from the headphone jack.

GuitarMutant

Reaction score

Agreed - don't want to hijack. If this 6505 turns out, I'm also considering the Classic.

I'll post a new thread when I get a chance to review mine (should be here today or tomorrow).

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
Probably one of the only Peavey amps that i kinda liked back in the day ( Classic 50 )
I bet this one sounds great ...

Very cool little amp, great addition to the series. It's the only Peavey I ever liked as well, and I've had two C30's, two C50's and a C50 head. I used the head when they first came out as a replacement for my JCM 800's. The only thing this little guy lacks is the Presence control, but since it has an FX loop, it'd be no problem to remedy any top-end clarity/definition. Disappointing that they changed the cab design so that you can't simply remove the stupid logo and have it look like a plain old tweed. New indented logo is an eye sore.