Peavey VK20MH

• Thread starter Pat6969
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Pat6969

Reaction score
I was lurking around at the guitar store yesterday and plugged into the 20 watt Valve King head. Wow!!! Snagged it up immediately. Killer little head, can't wait to try the XLR out to the board for live!! 20/5/1 watt, FX loop, 2 channels, XLR out, reverb, and TONS of gain!! Love it!

shooto

Reaction score
nice....I've had my eye on those for awhile

can you post a clip?

BowerR64

Reaction score
I had one and i didnt really care for it after i got a Marshall.

I got the Peavey first and it had over the top amounts of gain i swear every amp ive got lately thats fairly new meaning 10 years or so new has had so much gain i just couldnt stand to play it.

The peavey VK micro was like that, then you push in that boost button and its like instant feedback types of gain.

I did get it sounding half way decent when i changed the V1 tube to a 12AU7 then i could dial in a nice crunch and if i wanted a heavy sound push in the boost button. Its like a 3 channel amp that way and with the footswitch you could set it up that way. Since the footswitch controls the channel and the boost. I thought that was a cool feature.

I found that it sort of robbed its volume though, it is louder with the stock high gain tubes.

It does have alot of cool features, all the inputs and the power selections and stuff but compared to the 100 watt MG100FX it didnt seem to have the balls behind its punch like a higher powered amp. Maybe they are all like that?

I cranked it up a few times and it sounded like it was starving for power it got muddy and the tightness in the sound faded.

I know a 20 watt amp isnt going to be as loud as a 100 watt but i didnt figure it would get as muddy as it got cranked up.

The Marshall MG10CD sounded better at the same volume as the VK. IMO

I sold it and got a Marshall mosfet lead 100. It was my first tube amp and so far im not sold on the whole tube thing.

Pat6969

Reaction score
I had one and i didnt really care for it after i got a Marshall.

I got the Peavey first and it had over the top amounts of gain i swear every amp ive got lately thats fairly new meaning 10 years or so new has had so much gain i just couldnt stand to play it.

The peavey VK micro was like that, then you push in that boost button and its like instant feedback types of gain.

I did get it sounding half way decent when i changed the V1 tube to a 12AU7 then i could dial in a nice crunch and if i wanted a heavy sound push in the boost button. Its like a 3 channel amp that way and with the footswitch you could set it up that way. Since the footswitch controls the channel and the boost. I thought that was a cool feature.

I found that it sort of robbed its volume though, it is louder with the stock high gain tubes.

It does have alot of cool features, all the inputs and the power selections and stuff but compared to the 100 watt MG100FX it didnt seem to have the balls behind its punch like a higher powered amp. Maybe they are all like that?

I cranked it up a few times and it sounded like it was starving for power it got muddy and the tightness in the sound faded.

I know a 20 watt amp isnt going to be as loud as a 100 watt but i didnt figure it would get as muddy as it got cranked up.

The Marshall MG10CD sounded better at the same volume as the VK. IMO

I sold it and got a Marshall mosfet lead 100. It was my first tube amp and so far im not sold on the whole tube thing.

WOW!! That is surprising. While it's not my JVM410HJS I do think it is a killer 20 watt head. I suppose if you're not into high gain then Peavey certainly isn't the way to go as most of their heads deliver that, and that is why I LOVE it. I can dial my volume knob back to get it crunchier and then max it out for a brutal assault on humanity!!

I can't wait to try the XLR out straight into the board to see what it sounds like.

BowerR64

Reaction score
maybe now but before i got that little head i got on a kick of the older transtubes and those older amps sound great. They are warm and have a cool compressed attack thing in the sound.

I never was a big peavey fan because back in the 80s i got a backstage or some small 15 watt amp and it just had a horrible distortion sound. The later ones sounded better but i never gave them a chance till now. I bought 3 bandits in the 3 different flavors they have them in and they arnt bad.

I kept the 3 bandits, sold the valveking. Maybe the bigger ones sound better something 50 watts or something maybe has the balls behind its sound so when its up a little more it doesnt poop out.

I wasnt joking when i said the MG10 sounded better at the same volumes as the VK20MH either. I like its size that was the best part about it

I got mine for $250. off craigslist, and sold it for what i gave so it was more just a 2 month free trial lol

Pat6969

Reaction score
maybe now but before i got that little head i got on a kick of the older transtubes and those older amps sound great. They are warm and have a cool compressed attack thing in the sound.

I never was a big peavey fan because back in the 80s i got a backstage or some small 15 watt amp and it just had a horrible distortion sound. The later ones sounded better but i never gave them a chance till now. I bought 3 bandits in the 3 different flavors they have them in and they arnt bad.

I kept the 3 bandits, sold the valveking. Maybe the bigger ones sound better something 50 watts or something maybe has the balls behind its sound so when its up a little more it doesnt poop out.

I wasnt joking when i said the MG10 sounded better at the same volumes as the VK20MH either. I like its size that was the best part about it

I got mine for $250. off craigslist, and sold it for what i gave so it was more just a 2 month free trial lol

Totally understandable. Different strokes!