Phase 90 vs. Univibe

• Thread starter FleshOnGear
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Phase 90 or Univibe

• Phase 90

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Univibe

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you think? I’ve never played a proper Univibe clone, only digital models, but I seem to get along better with the phase 90. It’s like the mids cut through the mix better. I love the tones other people get from Univibes, though, so I feel like I’m either doing something wrong or have just played cruddy modeled versions.

junk notes

Reaction score
Like them both, but you will cover more music ground with a phaser. Also there are many flavors of both. Many different voicings, with others being more popular. Some user friendly in features, to complex and of course price point and quality. Introductory level or pro. The music that you play would also be a factor.
Always safe with an MXR, but the Dunlop UV-1 is more a glorified phase. Something more in the lines of a deja-vibe will get you there.

Trelwheen

Delicious AND Satisfying
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I enjoy the univibe much more than phasers (I think I overdosed and got burned out on phasers long ago)

It's quite true that univibes may not cut as well as phasers in a busy mix without some help. But it doesn't take any more than a good bump in the mids somewhere in the signal chain to bring it forward. I get great results with a tube screamer set clean and hot going into an Effectrode Tube Vibe.

El Gringo

Reaction score
Like them both, but you will cover more music ground with a phaser. Also there are many flavors of both. Many different voicings, with others being more popular. Some user friendly in features, to complex and of course price point and quality. Introductory level or pro. The music that you play would also be a factor.
Always safe with an MXR, but the Dunlop UV-1 is more a glorified phase. Something more in the lines of a deja-vibe will get you there.
I want the Deja- Vibe , but not the top side mounted in and out jacks versus the more pedal board friendly sideways in and out like on BOSS pedals .

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
What do you think? I’ve never played a proper Univibe clone, only digital models, but I seem to get along better with the phase 90. It’s like the mids cut through the mix better. I love the tones other people get from Univibes, though, so I feel like I’m either doing something wrong or have just played cruddy modeled versions.
I've tried a Univibe and thought it sounded like a phaser not that swirly univibe sound I would expect, I have a Danelectro Cool Cat Vibe that does have that swirly univibe sound it was dirt cheap and sounds great. Voodoo Lab makes a micro vibe thats really good too that I tried, its got that nice swirly sound. :yesway:

Last edited:

IOSEPHVS

Reaction score
The EHX Good Vibes is an incredible optical chorus/vibrato, and it is expression pedal ready to control either depth or speed of the modulation. It's a very good interpretation of the Shin-Ei Uni-Vibe. I bought one awhile back but it had a switch pop issue. I took it back and ended up with a Clone Theory. I will buy another Good Vibes if the pop issue has been fixed. Thanks for reminding me that I need to look into that.

Wildeman

Reaction score
Good news, you can have both- phaser, like $50 bux for a good one, vibe like $500.00!

What?

Reaction score
The biggest difference between a Univibe type and a Phase 90 type is in the modulation envelope (the modulation shape), where a univibe type does a kind of sudden, WHOP WHOP WHOP (or maybe that is in reverse actually), and a phase 90 type does a kind of smoother WOWUHWOWUHWOWUH.

I have found digital modulation pedals of all sorts (and software plugins) to sound thin and lacking in low frequency depth for whatever reason. Analog definitely rules here. I have a Deja Vibe that maybe goes too low in frequency and has a high mid boost builtin, and there is a big difference when I compared to digital (pedal and plugin). Even a little cheapie $20 univibe type pedal I have sounds significantly better to my ears than digital. And even analog signal / digitally controlled pedals seem to have something going on that is lesser than straight up analog to my ears, for modulations and delays.

Any way, if the sound of a Phase 90 appeals to you, you can't go wrong. It's a long running classic pedal for a reason.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
I voted Univibe, I had a phase 90 and it was cool but nothing beats a high quality Univibe.

Univibe type pedals seem to be very much you get what you pay for. The cheaper ones really disappoint and I can see people even being turned off by them. The magic is when you find a quality one that gives you that WHOP WHOP thump in your chest as you play it... That is an incredible feeling on a cranked Marshall.

The best Univibe I ever owned was a custom made unit I found at a GC, it died on me some many years ago and I was very sad, you could feel that WHOP, it was incredible. I have yet to find one that gives me that same experience besides the original Shin-Ei units. The pedal maker put "goop" epoxy over the circuit ala the Klon and I doubt it can be fixed.

Anyways, anyone interested in Univibes, demo some high quality units like the Deja Vibe or possibly the Vodoo Labs equivalent. I settled on an MXR Univibe, it's decent but no wow factor and fit my budget.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I voted Univibe, I had a phase 90 and it was cool but nothing beats a high quality Univibe.

Univibe type pedals seem to be very much you get what you pay for. The cheaper ones really disappoint and I can see people even being turned off by them. The magic is when you find a quality one that gives you that WHOP WHOP thump in your chest as you play it... That is an incredible feeling on a cranked Marshall.

The best Univibe I ever owned was a custom made unit I found at a GC, it died on me some many years ago and I was very sad, you could feel that WHOP, it was incredible. I have yet to find one that gives me that same experience besides the original Shin-Ei units. The pedal maker put "goop" epoxy over the circuit ala the Klon and I doubt it can be fixed.

Anyways, anyone interested in Univibes, demo some high quality units like the Deja Vibe or possibly the Vodoo Labs equivalent. I settled on an MXR Univibe, it's decent but no wow factor and fit my budget.
Get your hands on a Danelectro Cool Cat Vibe, it was $40 new and can be gotten cheaper used, you will be surprised how good it sounds and even better than alot of the expensive pedals. After demoing one I couldnt justify spending a penny more for anything else. :yesway:

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
IRL both is definitely an option, especially if you have room on your board. Gilmour used both to great effect. But, I want to see your preference.;)

IOSEPHVS

Reaction score
It seems people jump right to the Phase 90 . . . Bad Stone, all day long for mono phasers that lack ENV/EXP/CV control . . .