Better player, thanks to Marshall!

• Thread starter FrostyTheSnake
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
A big part of that is not the sound, but the Volume itself. I also use modelers and Software for practising and sketching out Ideas late at night. Many times I have a Riff or a song Idea recorded with a modeler, that I record with my real Amps at full blast later. When listening to these Tracks back to back, the sound can be dialed in very similar. But what differs in most of the cases is the way I play it.
When playing a modeler through Headphones or Monitors, the difference between a soft pick attack and a heavy hand is less pronounced. The dynamic range is limited. IMO that is the biggest difference- and it has more to do with feel.
This was one of my biggest issues with early modelers, and one of the main reasons I ended up with the Fractal. There's so much control of every nuance in the Fractal units, that it can be mind boggling if you let it . That level of control lets you sculpt the picking dynamics to exactly replicate the picking dynamics of your favorite amp. I've got my Fractal dialed to the point of "feeling" like I'm playing through my 2203x. Some don't want to put in the time to learn these units, and would rather just play, but the capability is there if you want to use it.

What?

Reaction score
Personally, I just don't get inspired the same playing through a modeler or profiler as I do through an amp. Part of it is the sound of the amp and speakers, part volume, part sound spread in the room, part no futzing with a bunch of parameters. Amps just work for me.

FrostyTheSnake

Reaction score
This was one of my biggest issues with early modelers, and one of the main reasons I ended up with the Fractal. There's so much control of every nuance in the Fractal units, that it can be mind boggling if you let it . That level of control lets you sculpt the picking dynamics to exactly replicate the picking dynamics of your favorite amp. I've got my Fractal dialed to the point of "feeling" like I'm playing through my 2203x. Some don't want to put in the time to learn these units, and would rather just play, but the capability is there if you want to use it.
I’m not knocking modellers at all. It’s good enough for Metallica, Def Leppard and many many others. No denying they sound pretty much identical. I just “feel” it’s not the same. Annoying to use the hippy card but they didn’t feel the same for me. Good enough for the biggest bands in the world so I could be wrong haha

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Actually a modeller can be every bit as dynamic, revealing, and unforgiving as any "real" tube amp, if you set it up that way. Or you can set it up in ways that make it easy and forgiving. The versatility of modellers definitely includes that.

Only those who don't know this from experience don't know it.

Modellers have progressed to a point where they'd fool YOU in a blind comparison. You may not believe it, but yes, that could certainly happen. They ARE that good these days. Keep in mind that most of the guys who are developing modelling amps are highly educated, masters of their digital craft, and serious tube amp aficionados with huge amp collections and a lot of motivation to bring the tube amp experience into the modern world with all the tonal benefits and none of the vacuum tube amp drawbacks. They're not likely to half-ass the job.

6StringMoFo

Reaction score
Actually a modeller can be every bit as dynamic, revealing, and unforgiving as any "real" tube amp, if you set it up that way. Or you can set it up in ways that make it easy and forgiving. The versatility of modellers definitely includes that.

Only those who don't know this from experience don't know it.

Modellers have progressed to a point where they'd fool YOU in a blind comparison. You may not believe it, but yes, that could certainly happen. They ARE that good these days. Keep in mind that most of the guys who are developing modelling amps are highly educated, masters of their digital craft, and serious tube amp aficionados with huge amp collections and a lot of motivation to bring the tube amp experience into the modern world with all the tonal benefits and none of the vacuum tube amp drawbacks. They're not likely to half-ass the job.

Fair.

I spent 3 months trying to love plugins and some are great, until I roll off my volume and try to clean up my tone.

My only "channel" amp is my JCM2000 DSL100 and it's in the shop getting love.

I'm old and a snob. The box works. The IRs are great, It's simple and it works. That's good enough for me.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
I’m not knocking modellers at all. It’s good enough for Metallica, Def Leppard and many many others. No denying they sound pretty much identical. I just “feel” it’s not the same. Annoying to use the hippy card but they didn’t feel the same for me. Good enough for the biggest bands in the world so I could be wrong haha
I get it, amps have knobs to turn and are nostalgic to look at it. Speaking only in terms of the end result (sound and feel), modelers are equally as capable, but have a learning curve most just don't want to deal with.

Last edited:

Derek S

Reaction score
I play just as well (poorly lol) regardless of when using a modeler or one of my amps (seems like some don't realize many users do crank their modelers to offensive volumes just like a tube amp which yeah, does then force one alter playing technique SOME, but really, most decent players adjust rather quickly and carry on, it's hardly a big deal).

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
About 15 years ago (or more), George Lynch held a workshop at one of our local music stores, think it was Funky Monkey Music. My son had let me know about it, and I went directly after work. I expected to see see him playing through some cool tube amp rig and my ears to be ringing afterwards. He had a little foot pedal, think it was a Digitech modeling pedal or something like that, that he ran into the FX loop of some little random combo amp. Playing through that un-impressive rig, he played as he always does and sounded great, closing his eyes and totally immersed in what he was doing. Pretty cool experience, as he has always been one of my favorite guitarists. Made me realize what really makes a good player.

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
Excuse if wrong sub.

Just want to share my experience going from Kemper to Marshall.

Kemper/AxeFX ect are great platforms indeed and sound ace! BUT since moving to all valve Marshall (SC20H) it’s been a real eye opener. Modelling is very forgiving with your playing, notes blend into one, tonal range is balance no mid hump (I’ll get onto that) all with excellent balanced stereo coming through studio monitors often.

Upon getting the Marshall it has really made me work harder and progress as a player. That mid range is very unforgiving in Marshall. I LOVE IT! That is what pushing the amp to cut through a band and exactly where the tonal range of the guitar fits in a band situation. It’s intimidating and hard to play a Marshall with a 4/12 loud. For that reason I believe it really makes you a better player. Everything is under a microscope. It’s made me appreciate people like EVH even more playing a plexi with very little drive and keeping everything so precise, clean and retaining swing, groove and impeccable timing. Just golden stuff.

So anyone that wants to go back old school and go valves I highly recommend it. Especially combined with Captor X ect, best of both worlds.

Marshall you rock! :hbang:
Excellent post! Couldn't agree more.

Dirty-D

Reaction score
l've said it before l'm saying it again, you want a fleshlight or a real woman? Why jack off when you can do it for real? There is no substitute. By the way, Angus doesn't use in ears or modelers. Live music should sound balanced and mixed but not like a studio recording. The large part of our society seems to be afraid of real life and danger. There is supposed to be some danger in live music,at least to me there should. Just as in life it's not safe and sane.The danger is what makes life worth living and music worth hearing.

Derek S

Reaction score
Some funny stuff in this thread...

It'll be the same folks with the same expected responses (both sides)...I can't again lol, just can't...been run into the ground already. Someone should please cut to the end result and make the "just use what makes you happy and gets the most out of your playing" post soon. It will shorten the war by several years and save many lives.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
I do agree with you. It depends on what is used to listen back while playing.
I should have made clear I'm talking about the feel "in the room".
Most of the Modelers are set up to sound like a recording- like sitting in the control room and listening to the mic'ed sound of the Amp without hearing the Amp itself. For me, as an amateur, that is impossible to archieve, since I can't isolate my Amps so well that I don't hear them while I record. Maybe that is where the "inspiration" comes from- the actual recorded signal sounds compressed just like the modeler, but while I play, it's different, because I experience the live "Amp in the room " feel.
Exactly, one has to know how to use the equipment. "Amp in the room" vs. "Mic'd amp and cab" is probably the most misunderstood difference. That said, a modeler can be setup for an "Amp in the room" sound, which is rarely done by those that have tried and failed at using a modeler.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
It'll be the same folks with the same expected responses (both sides)...I can't again lol, just can't...been run into the ground already. Someone should please cut to the end result and make the "just use what makes you happy and gets the most out of your playing" post soon. It will shorten the war by several years and save many lives.
I just look at these types of threads as "all in good fun", unless someone gets disrespectful.