***Pick, Strings, Technique***

• Thread starter MartyStrat54
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
Is that anything like that E-Bow device, although not electronic? Supposedly the e bow will strum over the notes and the thing makes current or something and vibrates the string.....simply not familiar.I've never played either but wondered the same.

Yeah, the E-Bow is an electronic device that makes the strings oscillate on their own and you can get bowed violin sounds out of it. They have been out forever, but I have never seen anyone use one live on stage. What does that mean? Yeah, who cares. Same with "The Squid." It's just junk, but people still buy it so they have something to throw away.

LesPaulopolis

Reaction score
Yeah, the E-Bow is an electronic device that makes the strings oscillate on their own and you can get bowed violin sounds out of it. They have been out forever, but I have never seen anyone use one live on stage. What does that mean? Yeah, who cares. Same with "The Squid." It's just junk, but people still buy it so they have something to throw away.

Haha, you're so right. I've used Ebow for a few solos on stage, but you don't get the same 'control' like you do in your rehearsal space. That being said, it's an amazing recording tool and I use it to add textural layers to most my demos.

James Iha did some great stuff w/Ebows live.

rockinr0ll

Reaction score
To be honest the E-Bow didn't work as well as I thought it would. The feedback I got was too loud with the distortion channel and I had to turn the clean channel to a lower volume setting. I think I have to mess with it more but as stated I keep mine in a box. Probably collecting dust by now. :(

siav

Reaction score
I use Dunlop Tortex 1.0 or 0.75 and Elixir 9 gauge.
Nobody use Elixir here?

rockinr0ll

Reaction score
Nope, I'm still using Ernie Ball Coated Hybrid Slinky.

How do you like them, I'm almost out of my strings so I will have to be searching for more soon.

BTW I switched to Derlin 1.5.

stone temple pinot

Reaction score
Overall....I love to try new things. So...

Strings: EB Slinkys on right now. Love em. Tried Elixirs...didn't like them at all. I have a package of Cleartone coated strings to try once the current set of Slinkys wears out. Definitely want to try Boomers, DRs and D'As at some point.

Picks: I used Dunlop Ultex for acoustic for years. Then switched to Gator Grips (the purple ones) and have used those for probably the last 2-3 years. My hands sweat a lot, and I seem to keep a grip with the Gators. Dunlop - CUSTOM IMPRINT GATOR GRIP SERIES

Recently picked up some of the Dunlop Sharps, and I REALLY like them!
Dunlop - TORTEX® SHARP

Also picked up some of these Cool picks...and really like them too!!!
cool picks
I got one of each. I like the heavy Cellulon one best so far. Great grip!

Finally....grabbed a couple of these:

Brain
They're just ok.

The real test will be when I get some of these on stage and try them out under the lights. I'm definitely starting to like the attack with a sharper pick.
:rock:

Jesstaa

Reaction score
I just switched to the Tortex .73mm yellow picks, and they're awesome, much smoother, a lot faster and much cleaner. Only problem is because they're so thin and I play fast stuff with 10-46 strings, the tip goes down so fast, been using one for like 1 and a half weeks now and it's already worn down. Might have to get a couple of bags of them.

thrawn86

Reaction score
That's a prob I run into with my rig, using D'A XL 10-46 with the .50 to .63 Claytons. They file down faster than an eraser and come to a mean point. I was considering the Tortex picks next.:hmm:

jitees

Reaction score
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Grandturk

Reaction score
Picks - Dunlop Jazz III's - red and black ones. I just recently got a couple packs of the Eric Johnson Jazz III's and I like those a lot. Also trying out the tortex Jazz III's in green and purple.

Strings - Ernie Ball Super Slinkies and Regular Slinkies for years and years. I played around with "Classic" slinkies when I was in my "vintage" phase but I grew out of that.

Style - After 20 years of trying not to play like anyone, I now try my hardest to play like Dave Murray. Bluesy, minor scales, lots of bends, vibrato with bar.

Lucifuge

Reaction score
Picks - Been using thick metal picks for years now. Read somewhere that Billy Gibbons uses (or used to) a quarter, but that was a bit too much.

Strings - D'addario 10's or 11's (whatever I feel like at the time)

Style - Heavy rhythym=downpicking, the rest=whatever comes natural (never had lessons).

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
Well I am more than pleased with the amount of responses this thread has gotten. I thank each and everyone of you for taking the time to let the other members know some of the "small stuff" that makes up playing an electric guitar. Thanks a lot.

Maybe this post will kick the thread back up front and a few more members can do their thing. Rock on!:dude::lol::dude:

Latest posts