• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

playing bass through a super lead?

• Thread starter Mbird6854
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mbird6854

Reaction score
I've always had a nudging question as to whether or not one can play bass through a super lead? I was wondering if i can play my bass through my 50 watt JMP (i'm not looking for ridiculous loudness, just for recording purposes)

thanks!

V-man

Reaction score
You can play through ANY tube Marshall. The delicate matter is volume and speakers. With regular speakers you run the risk of blowing them out playing bass, esp. when playing loud and with gain/distortion. With a bass cab you can go balls to the wall. With a guitar cab I would advise to play clean, quietly And sparingly.

Mbird6854

Reaction score
thanks V-man as long as the bass doesn't blow my beloved marshals i'm fine! And thanks for helping out a newbie so much!

lucidspoon

Reaction score
I've played bass through my DSL100, and it actually sounds pretty good!

Clammy

Reaction score
You can play through ANY tube Marshall. The delicate matter is volume and speakers. With regular speakers you run the risk of blowing them out playing bass, esp. when playing loud and with gain/distortion. With a bass cab you can go balls to the wall. With a guitar cab I would advise to play clean, quietly And sparingly.

Actually, in my experience, it's the reverse. Playing bass through a guitar head into guitar cabs, with a LOT of distortion allows you to use higher volume, as the clipped wave compresses the signal, preventing the big spikes that kill speakers. When you're going clean, that compression is not there, and one good hard pluck of a bass string can destroy a speaker. I used to play my bass through my 100W JCM900 DR, into matching 1960A and B cabs at high volume, but with the gain on 20. Never hurt a speaker in many years playing like that.

Cheers!
:dude::dude::dude: