Playing during the wee hours

• Thread starter FleshOnGear
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have a particular amp or setup you use just for playing when everyone is asleep and you need tone at less than a whisper? What are you using for that situation?

My walls are nearly paper thin, so I need something really quiet. Lately I’ve found my 5215 combo does the trick. It’s all solid state, so it doesn’t quite have the openness and feel of my NMV heads, but it sounds thick and rich at any volume. It satisfies me when even attenuated tube amps are too loud. I just have to be careful how I set the volume on it, as the control is very touchy. My Peavey Bandit is also pretty nice sounding at low volume, but it’s been set aside for awhile now - I need to find room for it along my amp wall.

When I’m ok with wearing headphones I can use my Amplitube software on my computer. It just takes more effort to hook that up.

Dave_11

Reaction score
Origin 20, on the lowest power setting, gain and master both cranked, pushed with an OD pedal for volume boost, running through my JohnH attenuator at maximum attenuation is pretty whisper quiet but still gets good tones.

I haven't played the Ori20 much since I got the SV20 though. The SV20 on the 5W mode with the JohnH at max attenuation isn't exactly whisper quiet, but it's really not very loud. I was going to build an extra attenuator stage for it to get it quieter, but found I could live with it as is.

PelliX

Reaction score
My DSL20 will do very low noise levels before thinning out completely, so can the SC20 or my AC15. Right now I just tend to flip on a couple of extra stages on the attenuator and be done with it.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
I plug in headphones in my Boss TAE and crank a JMP all night long 🤷🏼‍♂️
I've done the same with my 1959 SLP. Seems very strange playing a 100w non-master volume amp at 11pm, both volumes on 6, while the wife is sleeping. I have to pull the headphones off periodically just to make sure it's silent in the room.

thesunship

Reaction score
I've done the same with my 1959 SLP. Seems very strange playing a 100w non-master volume amp at 11pm, both volumes on 6, while the wife is sleeping. I have to pull the headphones off periodically just to make sure it's silent in the room.
I think she'd let you know pretty quickly if she could hear you ☺️

SteelLucky

Reaction score
Boss Pocket GT into my stereo. I would never play an amp that quiet for long and would be in trouble.

Tatzmann

Reaction score
When i started out i used a Tech21 GT2 into an Alesis Microverb going into the sub input of a Frontman. There was a headphone out on the panel to plug the cans in. It was better than the following "ready made" quiet solutions i tried.

Nowadays, if i cant play at halfway decent volume, i rather don't play at all.

anitoli

Reaction score
I used a 6100 half stack in apartments with never a complaint. The low volume compensation works great. And this was all hours of day and night. TV level volume is no problem here.

Derek S

Reaction score
Quiet recording in the evenings is pretty much my best option these days, low volume is a must. As mentioned above, headphones suck, they give me headaches not to mention mess with my playing (I don't like hearing my wheezy breathing along with the playing lol)....ref monitors at quiet levels FTW.

100% Fractal night time fun...

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
I've used my Fractal both ways, headphones and reference monitors. Both sound great, but if you want the feeling of some volume in total silence (silent to others), headphones (good headphones) are a must.

cccc

Reaction score
If you need Marshall sound at TV volume levels nothing beats the below beasts . Accept no substitutes , the current DSL 1 WATT model does not compare in any way shape or form.

Problem is Marshall isn't bright enough to bring them back and make them a year round stock item .

Lonely is the night

Running with the devil

Jamies Crying

Dance the night away

Lay it down

Kickstart my heart

https://youtu.be/M276pkb80s4?t=387