Playing valve amp with headphone..how can be done?

• Thread starter light_n_roses
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

light_n_roses

Reaction score
Hi all!

I own a Marshall haze40c combo full valve amp and I would like to play it with the headphone expecially when it's late ( I have a pair of decent AKG ). I know that this is a problematic task but I have seen that some little amplifiers start shipping with in-built headphone-out like the blackstar ht5-rh. Is a there a way to make this possible on my marshall full valve?

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I had a headphone tap installed in an attenuator. I sold the amp I used it with so I dont need it any more, PM me if youre interested in buying it.

SGed

Reaction score
See if your effects send jack is still active while in the standby mode. If it is, you can try that. Do not operate the amp with out the speaker.

loveboat

Reaction score
Not familiar with the haze, but on the TSL60 there's a XLR out. I plug that into my mixer and plug headphones into that. It actually sounds great!

light_n_roses

Reaction score
well, honestly I'm a little noob at this, anyway as far as I know the headphone out that I have seen on the blackstar ht5-rh has the emulated output for the speaker, I suppose that using this headphone tap will be wthout speaker emulation.
For what I know not having spaker emulation, really isn't good in this situation...

JohnH

Reaction score
Seems like the Haze has an 'emulated line out'?. If so you can take it to a line-in on a mixer and plug your 'phones into that. I do that on my dsl401 and it works fine.

You can also record by taking it from the mixer to a pc line-in, or usb interface, or direct to usb since many small mixers have usb out. The smallest Behringer mixer is enough. Another nice recording option is to mic the amp and use the line out and mix the two a bit left and right.

light_n_roses

Reaction score
Seems like the Haze has an 'emulated line out'?. If so you can take it to a line-in on a mixer and plug your 'phones into that. I do that on my dsl401 and it works fine.

You can also record by taking it from the mixer to a pc line-in, or usb interface, or direct to usb since many small mixers have usb out. The smallest Behringer mixer is enough. Another nice recording option is to mic the amp and use the line out and mix the two a bit left and right.

actually I have a focusrite 2i2 for that but the emulated line out of the haze really isn't good, I have tried once the blackstar ht5rh with the headphone connected to it and it sound much better. This is why i was looking for an alternative to the emulated line out of my amp.

Frankie

Reaction score
If you don't wanna use the line out then an attenuator with a headphone jack is the way to go. Don't run that amp without any speakers plugged in, it'll damage it.

Real talk though. A good attenuator that'll handle 50 watts will probably cost you more than just some cheap solid state practice amp with a headphone jack. Why not just get a little SS Marshall for headphone jamming?