Please help identifying my Marshall JCM 800

• Thread starter Oyvind
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Oyvind

Reaction score
Greetings,

I am reaching out regarding an amplifier purchased by my father back in 2001, which has been collecting dust for the last couple of years. While I have primarily utilized an Axe Fx connected to studio monitors, I am super excited to use the “real deal”!

Unfortunately , my knowledge about amplifiers is limited, and I am keen to gather more information about this particular unit, specifically:

A) The wattage
B) Model name
C) The year it was manufactured

Furthermore, I have observed that the amplifier is not achieving the desired gain level for metal. Currently, I’m using a Maxon OD808 as a boost, which brings me close to the desired level. However, I find that incorporating a Boss SD1 as a secondary boost with a slight drive results in the perfect tone. I am wondering whether this additional step is necessary, or if an alternative solution such as tube replacement may be more suitable.

Thank you for your time and assistance! :)

Attachments

• Thumbnail Nothing-13.jpeg
    Thumbnail Nothing-13.jpeg
    165.5 KB · Views: 66
  • Thumbnail Nothing-12.jpeg
    Thumbnail Nothing-12.jpeg
    263.9 KB · Views: 58
  • Thumbnail Nothing-11.jpeg
    Thumbnail Nothing-11.jpeg
    220 KB · Views: 55
  • Thumbnail Nothing-10.jpeg
    Thumbnail Nothing-10.jpeg
    199.8 KB · Views: 58
  • Thumbnail Nothing-09.jpeg
    Thumbnail Nothing-09.jpeg
    211.1 KB · Views: 61

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A) The wattage
B) Model name
A) 4 power tubes is 100w
B) That's a model 2203
C) U in the serial number = 1986

There should be an inspection sticker on the top of the chassis with the model number on it, along with the final inspection date (i.e. birthday - dd/mm/yy).

1706874001476.png

Furthermore, I have observed that the amplifier is not achieving the desired gain level for metal. Currently, I’m using a Maxon OD808 as a boost, which brings me close to the desired level. However, I find that incorporating a Boss SD1 as a secondary boost with a slight drive results in the perfect tone. I am wondering whether this additional step is necessary, or if an alternative solution such as tube replacement may be more suitable.
For high gain (metal) tones, most people use a pedal out front on the 800 series amps, so that's not uncommon.
Just a tube change is probably not going to get you metal type gain, although if the amp has not been serviced since purchased in 2001, taking it to a qualified tech for some maintenance may not be a bad idea.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Greetings,

I am reaching out regarding an amplifier purchased by my father back in 2001, which has been collecting dust for the last couple of years. While I have primarily utilized an Axe Fx connected to studio monitors, I am super excited to use the “real deal”!

Unfortunately , my knowledge about amplifiers is limited, and I am keen to gather more information about this particular unit, specifically:

A) The wattage
B) Model name

100 watt 2203, mid to late 80's, I'll let someone else decipher the serial to the exact year. Enjoy it!

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
2203 horizontal input, CSA Canadian spec with all the red letter warnings on it. Somebody added a push to reset circuit breaker.

U code is 1986.

Tatzmann

Reaction score

Lot's of people used the double-boost into Marshall back in the day, like Cris Oliva from Savatage as example.

But as you may find out, less gain will result in much better clarity when recording.

I can see using a boost for Solos with a 2203, but for rhythm I plug just straight in, but everyone is different, whatever works best for you.

The amp could need a good cleaning, looks like it sat in a basement for quite some time, judging by the rust on the powertransformer.

Glad that it's seeing some use again.

Oyvind

Reaction score
Thank you guys! Really appreciate the help! I’m certainly going to enjoy it and visit a qualified tech for maintenance ! - and yeah, it really needs a good cleaning. Can’t wait to get it back to its proper state.

I’m from Norway so the amp could definitely be a semko made for the european market!

Can’t believe I didn’t notice the inspection sticker before now… haha, but here it is:

Attachments

• Thumbnail Nothing-14.jpeg
    Thumbnail Nothing-14.jpeg
    362.8 KB · Views: 14

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Gotcha. Semko, going to try to remember that. Also good to know that the resettable breaker can be factory. Never saw one like that before.

I was under the impression that all the red warning labels usually meant Canadian market.

BlueX

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! May I guess that your location is Norway? If so, hello from a neighbor!

That's a very nice amp, with the Scandinavian SEMKO spec's as mentioned above. Take good care of it, as it's one of the best sounding Marshall's ever made. If you don't know how to yourself, you might want a good tech to have a look at it.

Stacking pedals is common and can give very good results. Order, settings, etc., is for you to find out. Have fun!

You could take out the unplugged chassis, turn it up-side down (put it on the trafos), and take some pictures of the components inside. Some people here can help you determine if it's still stock, and if there are burn-marks or similar. We also like to see pic's of nice Marshalls!

Don't touch anything inside though! There can be several hundred volts in charged capacitors, even when the amp is unplugged.

Oyvind

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! May I guess that your location is Norway? If so, hello from a neighbor!

That's a very nice amp, with the Scandinavian SEMKO spec's as mentioned above. Take good care of it, as it's one of the best sounding Marshall's ever made. If you don't know how to yourself, you might want a good tech to have a look at it.

Stacking pedals is common and can give very good results. Order, settings, etc., is for you to find out. Have fun!

You could take out the unplugged chassis, turn it up-side down (put it on the trafos), and take some pictures of the components inside. Some people here can help you determine if it's still stock, and if there are burn-marks or similar. We also like to see pic's of nice Marshalls!

Don't touch anything inside though! There can be several hundred volts in charged capacitors, even when the amp is unplugged.

Yes, I'm located in Norway! I'll take some pictures inside to see if it has its original parts and check its overall condition.

I'm happy with the high gain sound using the OD808 and SD1 pedals. But sometimes, for certain sessions, I don't need to use the pedals at all. It's perfect for playing classic Kiss riffs, and I'm glad it's a versatile amp!

BlueX

Reaction score
Gotcha. Semko, going to try to remember that. Also good to know that the resettable breaker can be factory. Never saw one like that before.

I was under the impression that all the red warning labels usually meant Canadian market.
The encircled letters FI, S, N, and D on the white sticker mean that this apparatus was approved for use in Finland, Sweden, Norway, and Denmark.

Crikey

Reaction score
tha
Greetings,

A) The wattage
B) Model name

thats a fake Marshall. send it to me so I can find out who committed this crime...:)

Purgasound

Rocker, Roller
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great amp. An EQ boost or overdrive out front is all that's needed to bring the amp into high gain territory. The strength of these amps is how you can flavor it any way you want by using pedals of your choice in front of it.
I've always liked moderately-high output pickups and a Tube Screamer. The SD-1 will take it further. The asymmetrical clipping on those helps make it sound a bit more aggressive.

Latest posts