Death of the DSL40CR..

• Thread starter Devin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Devin

Reaction score
I'm a newbie, started playing a few years ago and bought a DSL40CR and absolutely love it... Loved it, because it died. I turned it on one afternoon, strummed a few chords and the volume slowly reduced to zero, no popping, no noises, just sounded like you were rolling the volume off until there was nothing on all channels. I did the obvious and unplugged the FX loop and my pedalboard then plugged straight into the front and nothing. I've pulled the chassis, checked the fuses, changed power tubes and still nothing. Unfortunately finding a useful manual has been a choir as I've yet to find one. Any suggestions other than take it to a tech?

A little background, I'm an industrial tech, familiar with electronics, soldering, troubleshooting... Not getting shocked lol. Just wanting to learn enough to rule out the common problems before sending it out for repairs.

PelliX

Reaction score
:welcome: new MF'er!

Sorry to hear about the DSL. Do the valves still light up and/or get hot? If you're comfortable with electronics, you could carefully check the voltages on the secondary side of the transformer. Also, let's not rule out the simple; tried a cab? Checked the cable to the speaker inside the combo?

ThreeChordWonder

Reaction score
I don't know the DSL but my O50 had a mains fuse "hidden" in the mains input socket. Might be worth checking if you haven't.

JohnH

Reaction score
A slow volume fade-out would be consistent with a loss of heater supply, maybe to part of the amp, or to all if it, ie, it could be just to the power tubes (no sound at all), or just the preamp valves (guessing you might still get a slight hiss from the power stage).

So, see if any tubes are still glowing.