Please Name some 70's Bands that used the early 70's Marshall NMV Supeleads

• Thread starter jerryjg
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LAARS

Reaction score
I was hoping my ranting about soundmen might get you guys to chill out a little and maybe laugh this off.

Sometimes things in emails, or post on a forum can get taken wrong because its hard to add sarcasm into text. We might have been taking it wrong at first and now its out of control.:wow::rock:

tone seaker

Reaction score
Where the Rock Rolls Hard and the Blues Rains Down
So...you don't have any idea what the word means then.

Shocking.

Sorry ass hole im not a college educated ego manic like you. as you stated before implying you are smarter than me. But you know what i mean reagaurdless of the real meaning you just a jerk. I know what it means but you also know what i mean by it just shows you ass hole ego mainic jerk ness lol At least i have giged the world over with great players while you were studying your college ego lol

Blokkadeleider

Reaction score
I was hoping my ranting about soundmen might get you guys to chill out a little and maybe laugh this off.

Sometimes things in emails, or post on a forum can get taken wrong because its hard to add sarcasm into text. We might have been taking it wrong at first and now its out of control.:wow::rock:

Yeah, soundmen... Those people that start to whine whenever you even as much as look at the loudness dials. :lol::lol::lol:

Gr,

Gerrit.

Pleximan

Reaction score
You're right you can't tell from the pictures but that Allman shot is from 69 and I know Dickie and Duanne used Plexis. I know from reading their book how poor they were in the old days I would guess they didn't go out and buy new model Marshalls.

Point is they are generally known as Plexi users.
Skynyrd to be fair are always associated with Peavys so they could have been rentals in the photo.
I think Duanne used a super bass 100 watter...I heard that he liked the bass heads better than the guitar heads...

SuperBeaver

Reaction score
I think Duanne used a super bass 100 watter...I heard that he liked the bass heads better than the guitar heads...

It was a Bass model but it was a 50 watt. Dickie's tone was the 100 watt Super Lead with the JBL speakers and the half open back Marshall cabs.

Duanne's tone was always more overdriven as he ran the 50 flat out to keep up with Mr. Betts (a notoriously loud Motherfucker). A great place to hear the difference in tones in on Filmore East. :headbanger:

tone seaker

Reaction score
Where the Rock Rolls Hard and the Blues Rains Down
allmanbro1.jpg

allmanbro3.jpg

Viking62

Reaction score
Good post and good article, thanks for that..
I notice the subheading on the article is "Does Angus channel Koss" in terms of fast attach/nasty vibrato I always thought they were very similar.

I didn't mention Koss used 'Plexi's' because he is mostly known for using a 1969 Metal Panel Super Bass.

Here is a cut and paste form the Woodytone website:

Koss’s Marshalls

On to the Marshalls, and back to the Plexi Palace forum. Highlights from this thread and one other (forgot the link!), as well as this retrospective:

> Free had Marshalls pretty much all the way, from Koss’s early ’66 JTM45 (thru a homemade 4×12 with Selmer brickwork cloth) to their multiple stacks based around Super Bass/Lead and PA heads. That’s what’s in all of the pictures and live clips.

> However, a Super PA is essentially a Super Lead and Super Bass sound-wise. I’m not sure which input he was using. I think it would be fair to say he was using the Super Bass “side” of the Super PA.

> In live shows supporting “Tons of Sobs,” Koss began using a 100-watt Marshall Super Lead head with dual 4×12 Marshall cabinets equipped with bass speakers, which he felt had a more rounded tone than the guitar speakers.

> I owned his ’69 Super Bass for a while…. It was a mid ’69 metal panel. It was an absolutely fantastic sounding amp. It had ‘his’ tone no matter where you put the controls (they really didn’t do much). It was stupid loud. The mains was one of the high-current ones. It didn’t matter what guitar you used, it sounded like the song [All Right Now].

> The biggest change [in that '69 Super Bass] was the slope resister was a 33k, and it had the additional .68uf cap in the tone stack. The other caps were right for a Super Bass (250pf/500pf):

- Standard Super Bass shared cathode
- 33k slope with 250pf treble cap
- Looks like a 100k feedback resistor
- v2 bypass cap is a .68
- .005?? [not sure] on the volume control

> Almost the perfect mix and match of Lead and Bass components – probably as thick as a milkshake with tons of undertones.

If you’re not technical enough to understand that, like me, here’s what I get out of that:

Koss didn’t use a “standard” Super Bass or Super Lead, if there was such a thing as “standard.”

All old Marshalls sound different, so if you buy one without hearing it first (eBay) it’s a crapshoot all the way.

And here is the link if you are interested in reading up:

Paul Kossoff’s ‘All Right Now’ Tone : WoodyTone!