Plexi Presence Options

• Thread starter arthur.lowery
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

arthur.lowery

Reaction score
I've been playing with the Presence circuit on my '67 Black Flag 50 W JTM. Actually, it's been annoying me for years, because of it's poor and ever changing design.

Originally, the amp used the track of the presence control to bias the cathodes of the phase inverter (PI), so it had about 10V across it and 2 mA through it. I suspect this came about because the original designers wanted some negative feedback point, so split the tail resistor in two, with 10k at the top and 5K at the bottom. he feedback is injected in the middle, and actually goes to the grid of V3b via a 0.1 uF cap. Because of the high-impedance of the grid bias resistor, all auditable frequencies get to the grid of V3b. Thus the phase inverter is comparing the signal input from the tone stack with the negative feedback from the 16-ohm tap, and amplifying the difference.

The actual Presence control was still provided by a 0.1uF cap from the wiper to ground. When "up" the cap would short the negative feedback to ground (at least the mid to high frequencies), increasing the gain at these frequencies bu reducing the negative feedback to zero.

Although the power dissipated by the pot track isn't much (20 mW, and pots should handle 1/2 W), when the pot is rotated, the cap is subject to varying DC, so might cause a noise. (OK, it will charge and discharge pretty quickly, on the order of RC, or 5K x 100 nF = 500 us). Anyhow, I sort of suspected this could explain the "noisy" control, when moved.

Some time in the late 60's, the circuit was modified to put a 4K7 in parallel with the pot. I suspect this was a safety device, in case the pot's track became open circuit. The track would still have DC across it. It would also (about) half the negative feedback, maybe helping with stability at about 50 kHz.

In the 90's I adjusted the circuit to have this 4K7 resistor, but changed the cap's ground end to connect to the 4K7 (and the purple wire from the Perf Board). This removed the DC from the Pot. However, this did not give much range to the control; that is, the Presence was effectively set to a high setting. In the above factory modification, the pot was changed to 25K, and sometimes the cap to 0.68 uF.

So today I had a think about a better solution, without changing the pot. This was to keep the 4K7 resistor (I actually placed it between the purple-wire and ground turrets on the Perf Board, so it's nice and safe and secure. I then reverted to the original position of the 0.1uF cap, between ground and the wiper. Thus when the Presence is turned down, the cap is effectively fully out of circuit. II then connected the "hot" end of the pot to a new cap (DC blocking), whose other end went to the purple wire that originally went to the hot end. That is, I added a DC blocking capacitor to he circuit. This was 2.2uF 250V, but I am sure 1uF, 50V would do).

Anyhow, now:
1) the pot carries no DC current, nor has any DC voltage across it, so there's no charging up and down of the 0.1uF cap. No noise when altering the control.
2) The PI is now biased by the 4K7, which is a solid position
3) The presence control, when "down" is providing maximum negative feedback, and when "up" is shorting the mid/high frequency feedback to ground as before.

So it's *almost* back to a Black Flag, apart from the feedback is halved because the pot and the 4K7 are in parallel, forming a potential divider. This is probably good for stability, though. I might try reducing the feedback resistor again (although I have quite a few posts on increasing it from 27K to 74K, I think it might be OK at 47K now the pot and the 4K7 are in parallel.)

Oh and it sounds great! The presence adds presence.

I'd appreciate any comments on this. I've attached a circuit diagram, but the format is poor, as I could not attach even small .jpg files (<500K).

Cheers
Arthur

Attachments

• Presence.pdf
    751.8 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

svinyard

Reaction score
Do you have a sound sample of your black flag? Apparently Angus has one of these that be used forever. I’ve not played on personally. Is it the holy grail ACDC tone?

If i recall they just ran their presence at 0. I wonder if that was due to what you’ve described lol

What?

Reaction score
Seconding on wanting to hear a sound sample of that amp.

Jon Snell

Reaction score
U3b is a low impedance source for the DC level on the phase splitter.
If one uses the standard 1k2 cathode bias resistor, this part of the phase splitter can become unstable when driving the output valves, 807s, very hard into Class AB2, due to lack of current.

arthur.lowery

Reaction score
Any particular AC/DC song you want me to learn and replicate? (If I can!). I have a Strat (1980, same shop as Knopfler quite possibly, in Newcastle UK), but also a (cheap) PBS which may be more like an SG, just perhaps!
I will just pop out to the school outfitters up the road.

Pete Farrington

Reaction score
your use of U3B
Think of it as providing fixed bias for the LTP, so a DC LTP http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/dcltp.html
A possibly significant difference is that unlike the AC LTP, the grid resistors aren’t bootstrapped, so input impedance is more constant over the audio bandwidth.
The latter section of this chapter explains the frequency dependent effect of boostrapping, I think it’ll play out in a somewhat similar manner with an AC LTP.

U3b is a low impedance source for the DC level on the phase splitter

Is there an actual benefit of using U3b as a cathode follower to buffer the bias voltage, ie compared to taking the fixed bias feed from the 1M and 220k node at the CF grid? That’s provided the node was decoupled by a suitable cap.
I’ve not got around to verifying it for myself, but can’t help wondering if Hiwatt weren’t just finding a use for a spare triode with that CF, ie rather than it being necessary for the LTP to function properly :)

arthur.lowery

Reaction score
Is it something to do with driving the grids of the output tubes positive, so that they effectively become (forward biased) diodes to the cathode? I have not thought deeply about this. What I do know is that the PI provides all sorts of interesting waveforms when overloaded, say in response to a sine wave. I may borrow a digital scope to record them and maybe take their Fourier transforms.

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A possibly significant difference is that unlike the AC LTP, the grid resistors aren’t bootstrapped, so input impedance is more constant over the audio bandwidth.
The latter section of this chapter explains the frequency dependent effect of boostrapping, I think it’ll play out in a somewhat similar manner with an AC LTP.
I’m very curious about what happens with the bootstrapping when both PI designs are overdriven, and how the sudden disappearance of the bootstrapping affects the overdriven tone. Anecdotally, I’ve found that the self-biased version of the cathodyne distorts more pleasingly if the grid resistor is smaller, and I think this has something to do with that transition.
Is there an actual benefit of using U3b as a cathode follower to buffer the bias voltage, ie compared to taking the fixed bias feed from the 1M and 220k node at the CF grid? That’s provided the node was decoupled by a suitable cap.
I think this is mostly what I was wondering when I asked @Jon Snell about it, I just wasn’t sure how to articulate the question. Also, why not run the signal through the CF and DC couple that to the PI like Hiwatt did?

Pete Farrington

Reaction score
Is it something to do with driving the grids of the output tubes positive, so that they effectively become (forward biased) diodes to the cathode?
Bear in mind that anytime the grid becomes forward biased with respect to its cathode, the near infinite grid impedance drops to a few k. So generally, the top of the wave gets chopped off.
Merlin describes this in 1.14 Grid Current Clipping of http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/Common_Gain_Stage.pdf
Maintaining linearity in the Vg1-k > 0 region is somewhere guitar amps don’t go (class AB2).
how the sudden disappearance of the bootstrapping affects the overdriven tone
The collapse of input impedance for part of the waveform, as described above, may be more significant :shrug:
why not run the signal through the CF and DC couple that to the PI like Hiwatt did?
So many choices :)

arthur.lowery

Reaction score
I've done some simulations (LTspice - free) of two options for the Presence control. The Presences cuts the negative feedback at higher frequencies, effectively putting a step upwards in the frequency response starting at about 1 kHz. The size of the step (the jump upwards) depends on the gain of the output stage (bias), the feedback resistor, among other things. It might be a bit high in these simulations (a few dB too much).

Anyhow, first is the Plexi but with a 4K7 safety resistor in parallel with the 5K Presence pot and a 0.1 uF cap from its wiper to ground. The settings are at 20% intervals. The dotted lines are phase. The green line is with no presence. The negative feedback flattens the response.
1698139274235.png1698139992576.png

The second is where the Presence pot and capacitor (0.1u) are in series, and there's still the safety resistor in parallel with both, to pass the DC tail current and attenuate the feedback. Unfortunately even though the pot is now 25K, i's impossible to totally dial-out the frequency step, even with the pot resistance at maximum. Note that the step occurs at lower frequencies, so it's really cutting bass if you like. The low-frequency gain is also 4 dB less, because the feedback is stronger (there's 4K7 in the lower leg, rather than about 2K6, above.) I would say this is less satisfactory. Do you agree?
1698139524517.png1698139943216.png

Latest posts