POLL: AFD or YJM

• Thread starter NewReligion
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
Well first Off I Guess I Screwed Up The Ability To Poll, lol.

Though I have not played or heard either Amp live, nor do I usually use signature gear, I am pretty stoked about the new YJM 100 watt Amp. I have thought about buying a few amps over the last several months, however being able to pit a Diezel VH4 against my favorite Marshall JCM 800 2210 leaves me smiling and assured that I need nothing more than the 2210 for my heavier work. It is at this point that I do believe that I will purchase a YJM once they are released to the public and have been proofed and resolve any "issues" that may arise.

With Marshalls new technology coming of age I wondered just out of interest how many guitarist think they would prefer either the AFD or the YJM. Your thoughts?

David :cheers:

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
oh please...

All you need for YJM tone is an older 1987 50w head

Yes, I am aware of that JCM. I have owned a small box 50 1987 and pushed it with an OD. However, this "New" model appears to deliver yet something more than what I have ever gotten out of a stock 1987 or 1959 tone in addition to the Power Scaling and built in NR etc...

@ about 7:15 the amp begins to display qualities that I have not been able to squeeze out of a Marshall as of yet. Super Smooooooooth.

The first 5-6 minutes is a lot of BS.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_Q7tkQlzRw[/ame]

IbanezMark

Reaction score
Auto bias, power scaling, etc doesn't turn me on at all so I would seriously lean to a 1987 or '59.

That being said, out of the two I think the YJM is a better made amp, voiced closer to what I would be looking for.

surface54

Reaction score
if you had to get one YJM! a tribute to our guitar hero and there is probably something a little peppier in that amp as the video suggested

jcmjmp

Reaction score
I'd rather buy a real 1987 & add a zero loss fx loop than that YJM contraption with all those features. Auto-bias? I'd rather have full, manual control over the bias settings.
plus, there's no way the transformers are worth anything in the newer YJM/SLASH whatever head.

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd rather buy a real 1987 & add a zero loss fx loop than that YJM contraption with all those features. Auto-bias? I'd rather have full, manual control over the bias settings.plus, there's no way the transformers are worth anything in the newer YJM/SLASH whatever head.

I do agree with the Bias comment +1,000,000

drewz120

Reaction score
I have the AFD and it is a beast. I do however think the YJM will top it because of versatility. I think the new features are awesome and will give you the ability to get a lot of different sounds and still the classic ones.

I like the attenuation factor and the reverb and noise gate also.

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
What is the other feature you want on there? Power scaling? You can add that to any 1987 amp, reversible too.

I used to want to buy the latest new shiny thing too but the new shiny thing isn't always better.

LOL, I'm not about new and shiny, I am well over that as I play amps that are 25-50 years old. This amp sounds saturated and smooth by "design" for once. I am the last one to just go buy something because it is new. That is a bit insulting thank you. :hmm:

jcmjmp

Reaction score
LOL, I'm not about new and shiny, I am well over that as I play amps that are 25-50 years old. This amp sounds saturated and smooth by "design" for once. I am the last one to just go buy something because it is new. That is a bit insulting thank you. :hmm:

Not meant to be insulting. Don't take it that way.

Dave666

Reaction score
I'm sticking with my 2210, David!!
I actually thought of selling it a couple of months ago... And I'm glad I kept it...
Don't you have a good Bassman for the more mellow stuff?

audiochains

Reaction score
I had a 2210 for about 6 months and loved the tone man. It was just too darn loud even with 2 power tubes for my use which is a real shame... well I won't go any deeper with that.

And that's basically the reason why I really would love to try the AFD or the YJM. The built in attenuation. To basically be able to crank the mofo and still be able to play at a reasonable volume. The sound of a cranked plexi intrigues me beyond my ability to express myself.

Crunchcity

Reaction score
yjm

With computerized amps there's a risk of being an early adopter, sort of like buying the first model year of a car. Ok maybe slightly exaggerated but still... :naughty:

I would wait for the bugs to get worked out and for the product to trickle down into the used market.