Power Supply.

• Thread starter ricksdisconnected
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
2 MXR Iso Bricks. They are under the Temple Audio boards (Bricks are 1.8" high, just fits), sufficient power and no noise.

ive run for several yrs on the old brick. ive looked at the ISO Brick as a possible solution.
hell Donner make a El Cheapo that i cant find any negative feedback on. YET.

PaulHikeS2

Reaction score
ive run for several yrs on the old brick. ive looked at the ISO Brick as a possible solution.
hell Donner make a El Cheapo that i cant find any negative feedback on. YET.
I would avoid the Donner. I tried a cheapo one that's similar from Caline. Buzzy noisy mess. My current budget solution is dead quiet. Voodoo Labs ISO 5. Few of them are split to power 9 pedals. Got a deal on the power supply - about $80 I think.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
I would avoid the Donner. I tried a cheapo one that's similar from Caline. Buzzy noisy mess. My current budget solution is dead quiet. Voodoo Labs ISO 5. Few of them are split to power 9 pedals. Got a deal on the power supply - about $80 I think.

that is a good deal.
this is gonna be a big board. could be 18 pedals or more.
one heavy beast lol.

IOSEPHVS

Reaction score
I notice the page for the EHX S8 states that it can power eight pedals. I daisy chain two or three pedals on some lines, but I never go above 200 of the 250mA rated load on the 9V lines, and I don't mix analog and digital (I have two) on the same circuit. I don't have any 18V pedals, but I do have both a 24V and a 40V center-positive pedal which are on their own power supplies.

There are lots of options. I probably went with EHX because I like their products and it met my requirements, but I have no complaints.

junk notes

Reaction score
trying to do this power thing in a budget.
just dont know how much power im really gonna need.
If you have power supplies, it makes it easy. If not, look up, or find out all the power supply ratings on the products website, and then add them up.

Here is a power supply for a E.H. Holy Grail Reverb.
500 mA.
bvohvrkh8rmyqut4oiwo.jpg

Always get more than sufficient to guarantee no hum issues. Some power blocks might seem like you have enough. Check individual jack supplies to the pedals.
The criteria previously posted will not be enough to run an E.H Holy Grail reverb pedal. It will hum due to lack of mA.
Make sure there are 18v features (or double up feed) and at least a variable voltage to run Fuzzes and to thin out modulation pedals to be less predominant in there effect; lessor of an effect.
Good luck in your findings.

junk notes

Reaction score
I notice the page for the EHX S8 states that it can power eight pedals. I daisy chain two or three pedals on some lines, but I never go above 200 of the 250mA rated load on the 9V lines, and I don't mix analog and digital (I have two) on the same circuit. I don't have any 18V pedals, but I do have both a 24V and a 40V center-positive pedal which are on their own power supplies.

There are lots of options. I probably went with EHX because I like their products and it met my requirements, but I have no complaints.
On the pedal? That is just asking for hum issues.

IOSEPHVS

Reaction score
If you have power supplies, it makes it easy. If not, look up, or find out all the power supply ratings on the products website, and then add them up.

Here is a power supply for a E.H. Holy Grail Reverb.
500 mA.
bvohvrkh8rmyqut4oiwo.jpg

Always get more than sufficient to guarantee no hum issues. Some power blocks might seem like you have enough. Check individual jack supplies to the pedals.
The criteria previously posted will not be enough to run an E.H Holy Grail reverb pedal. It will hum due to lack of mA.
Make sure there are 18v features (or double up feed) and at least a variable voltage to run Fuzzes and to thin out modulation pedals to be less predominant in there effect; lessor of an effect.
Good luck in your findings.

You can't go by the specs on an individual pedal's power supply. You need to know the requirements for the pedal itself. The classic Holy Grail requires 223mA, the Nano version 103mA. I have 25 EHX pedals. 23 of them operate at 9V. Most of them came with their own 9.6V 200mA power supply, but the analog pedals themselves only require 9V and at most 53mA (even as low as 3 mA). The exceptions are the Cathedral and the Stereo Electric Mistress which come with the same 9.6V/200mA power supply but require 163mA and 160mA respectively because they are digital. They each get their own circuit on the S8.

There is a spreadsheet listing the current draw for many of their pedals at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...jzW45kjdTs6bo/htmlview?authkey=CJXI1aEF&hl=en.

IOSEPHVS

Reaction score
On the pedal? That is just asking for hum issues.

I don't understand the question "On the pedal?" but I assure you I have no hum. Let me rephrase what you highlighted. I can daisy chain 2 or 3 analog pedals on a 9V line where the total of their current draw, if all are on, does not exceed 200mA (my rule) where 250mA is provided. None of them even add up to 100mA. All digital pedals get their own line because they each require about 163mA, and I never mix digital and analog on the same power line.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
My daisy chain mixes digital and analogue and for the most part it is fine.
The highest current draw is a Zoom MS-70CDR (digital) at 500mA.
The lowest are an MT-2 and an NS-2 at 20 mA each.
The total draw of 715 mA is easily covered by a RockBoard Power Ace wall wort putting out 1700mA.
The spanner in the works came when I added a 70mA RC-3 Loop Station.
It wailed when in the daisy chain and had to go onto it's own Boss PSU.

As I said in an earlier post, I have pretty much decided on which PSU I am going for, but I have a question to add.
Where on my board should I put it?
I seem to remember reading somewhere that a PSU should be kept further away from ODs/distortions.
Is this correct?
Or will it make a difference that the actual transformer will be off-board at the wall socket?
Here is my board. The underside is sectioned off into 3 parts by bracings. The middle section has no room for a PSU.
One end has a Boss OD-20 (digital) and the other is mostly TBEs and a Loop Station.
The Harley Benton ISO-2 Pro I am planning to get would fit at either end with some patch re-routing, and the MT-2 could be shunted closer to the OD-20.
Any suggestions?

20200822_135750-1900.jpg
20200903_111310-1900.jpg

Last edited:

junk notes

Reaction score
Yes, a spec sheet is the point. There is good reason why you see specs on the dedicated transformer that goes to the pedal and how it differs from the engineers standpoint. The mA's on the spec sheet is minimum running capacity.
Don't confuse volts (power) with amperes? Use the dedicated power supply when possible. If you do not have the dedicated transformer that runs the pedal, as I stated, then should find out the product specs, and as long as it matches or exceed the requirements there will be no issue. That's the purpose of a power block to run enough mA's or milliamperes or amperes so you will not have humming issues. Cutting it close won't cut it.

Volts are not the issue amperes are.
You can't go by the specs on an individual pedal's power supply. You need to know the requirements for the pedal itself. The classic Holy Grail requires 223mA, the Nano version 103mA. I have 25 EHX pedals. 23 of them operate at 9V. Most of them came with their own 9.6V 200mA power supply, but the analog pedals themselves only require 9V and at most 53mA (even as low as 3 mA). The exceptions are the Cathedral and the Stereo Electric Mistress which come with the same 9.6V/200mA power supply but require 163mA and 160mA respectively because they are digital. They each get their own circuit on the S8.

There is a spreadsheet listing the current draw for many of their pedals at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...jzW45kjdTs6bo/htmlview?authkey=CJXI1aEF&hl=en.