Power tubes to match or not to match =that is the question

• Thread starter richny1977
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

big dooley

VIP Member
Reaction score
i'm beginning to wonder, how much "necessities" are coming from the hifi-guru's, which actually aren't that big of a deal on guitaramps... or maybe even work against us...

Sir Crunch A Lot

Reaction score
I would use a matched set. Depending how unmatched the set is, your working one tube harder and setting yourself up for premature tube failure sooner than later.

ant_riv

Reaction score
I read an article in VG a while back with an interview featuring a highly respected tube expert that confirmed what a number of posts have stated.

Mismatched tubes are supposed to sound better because of the uneven structure complimenting even order harmonics better than even (matched) structure does. He also stated that in hi-fi settings, the matched sets create less interplay which results in a much cleaner sound. He said this is very desriable for recreating music in a stereo system, not so much for creating the "crunch" that guitarists desire.

I worked in a music store that did amp repairs back in the late '70s into the '80s. Groove Tubes marketed the first sets of "matched tubes" for improved hi-fidelity sound. When I asked one of the amp techs if it was necessary, he said good techs will test/match tubes prior to installing a set to ensure electronic integrity, but there is no need to "match" them precisely. Groove Tubes added a substantial upcharge for matching the tubes and packaging them as a set.

For anyone who has not tried this, maybe it would be a good idea to actually try it and listen for oneself rather than restating what has been read on the Internet (or somewhere else) and then repeating it as "the truth".

Your tube amp might actually sound better!

I iwll try to find the VG article and will update this post with the info if I find it.

We should check and see if the classic Marshalls used by Hendrix, Kossoff, Blackmore, Clapton, etc featured "matched sets" of tubes in their amps.

As always, IMO and YMMV.

80s dude

How many people in the 60's, 70's and even 80's bought "matched" power tubes?

I'm sure there are many classic recordings (maybe most of them, like the ones featuring the guys mentioned in the prev. post) where the amps had whatever tubes were laying around. Great tones were achieved, without input from members of guitar fora.

This is one of the negative aspects of the internet age, as far as guitarists are concerned. Too many people look over their shoulders, worrying what guitarists they don't know think, and worrying about stupid shit that doesn't matter (though I don't mean tube matching necessarily). Too much unnecessary paranoia.

richny1977

Reaction score
OK this is what happen tonite, amp guy came over with all his gadgets. played the amp with matched Tung sol's 6550 and 5 JJECC83's in preamp.sounded OK but not that tight, boxy, percussive crunch in overdrive channel and clean was very warm.
Then put in one GE 6550A and one sovtek 6550WE that tech said were close enough,left the JJ's in preamp. also biased amp .Sound was great
had all that punch tight tone in overdrive, and clean channel was way more hotter/letting you crank clean volume and lower master volume giving you great control with guitar volume knob.when clean channel broke up it sounded like a hiwatt and also gave that( since I've been loving you ) guitar solo sound,it also gave really cool classic rock sound (pete townsend/Joe walsh)but still had massive marshall feel.
Overdrive channel was a mix of EVH (unchained) and Zakk psycho twang's ,squeals and artificial harmonics .
This was results= unmatched is clear winner,but again depends what style of music you are playing.
Thanks for the 6550 offer but scored more GE's 6550A's on ebay
Thanks to all forum member's for their help
Ritchie Queens NY

JayCM800

Reaction score
This post confirms what i always had thought.

People believe more what they read on internet forums than what they hear coming out of their own amps.

richny1977

Reaction score
my wife been banging 7 gram rocks for 30 years and she never had a meltdown,and she will continue to do so,i don't have a problem with it.
Hey what kind of charvel you got old school strat headstock? they kick ass

Frankie

Reaction score
Sounds like she's been living the life of a rock star vatican assassin!

charveldan

Reaction score
Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul.
my wife been banging 7 gram rocks for 30 years and she never had a meltdown,and she will continue to do so,i don't have a problem with it.
Hey what kind of charvel you got old school strat headstock? they kick ass

100_0484.jpg

The only guitars worth a shite to me are my Les Pauls, everything else is meH.:hmm:

richny1977

Reaction score
HEY Charveldan:
Then Wouldn't it make sense to call yourself LESPAULDAN if you think that anything less then a les paul is lame? just wondering?
Nice Gold TOP what pick-up in goldtop bridge Duncan JB?

charveldan

Reaction score
Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul.
HEY Charveldan:
Then Wouldn't it make sense to call yourself LESPAULDAN if you think that anything less then a les paul is lame? just wondering?
Nice Gold TOP what pick-up in goldtop bridge Duncan JB?
SH-5 Duncan Custom in both bridges, i still like Charvels, CD is just a nickname.

richny1977

Reaction score
charvels are cool , I got les paul standard and old kramer Ripley monster axe.
But fiend for old charvel they ROCK.
Ritchie