PowerStation PS2-2A into 50 watt cab?

• Thread starter DWSumms09
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DWSumms09

Reaction score
Since the PS 2a is 50 watts and its primary goal would be taming a 50 watt Plexi. Would it be safe to run it into a 2x12 with greenbacks?

To me it makes sense as long as I was running the PS at about 75% or less but would just want to be safe rather than sorry.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since the PS 2a is 50 watts and its primary goal would be taming a 50 watt Plexi. Would it be safe to run it into a 2x12 with greenbacks?

To me it makes sense as long as I was running the PS at about 75% or less but would just want to be safe rather than sorry.
Celestion speaker power handling ratings are somewhat conservative.
Speaker power ratings are based on multiple factors including heat dissipation from extended continuous use.
Amps can put out well above their RMS rating, and speakers can handle bursts of power above their rating if it's not continuous.
It's not necessarily as simple as amps says "x" watts and speakers add up to "x" watts, but that's a good general place to start.
You should be fine if you're not running the PS2 at full throttle, for extended periods of time, all the time.

There's always a chance of random speaker failure that could send the full output to just one 25w speaker, so...
If you really "would just want to be safe rather than sorry", use some speakers that could handle 50w+ on their own.

ampeq

Reaction score
I think fitz is right, I have never really gave it a thought as long as the speakers add up to at least what the amp puts out. My X100b combo is 100w and has a speaker rated at 100w. I have played that amp sense I got it in 1989 quite loud and never had a problem. You have to remember also that 99% of the time you never run an amp wide open. If you're even coming close it is most likely outside and you should have at least a 4-12" cab. 2 of my newer amps are both 100w and sit on a 2-12" cab, each will handle about 140 -150 watts. But even at 30% power they are so incredibly loud it's scary.

DWSumms09

Reaction score
I think fitz is right, I have never really gave it a thought as long as the speakers add up to at least what the amp puts out. My X100b combo is 100w and has a speaker rated at 100w. I have played that amp sense I got it in 1989 quite loud and never had a problem. You have to remember also that 99% of the time you never run an amp wide open. If you're even coming close it is most likely outside and you should have at least a 4-12" cab. 2 of my newer amps are both 100w and sit on a 2-12" cab, each will handle about 140 -150 watts. But even at 30% power they are so incredibly loud it's scary.
Right, Yea indoor at home, band practice, and smaller gigs i bet the powerstation would be below 50% and should be pretty comfortable with just the 2x12. Outside I have an extra 1x12 with a v30 I could run with my 2x12 with GBs (both 8 ohm cabs)

ampeq

Reaction score
Right, Yea indoor at home, band practice, and smaller gigs i bet the powerstation would be below 50% and should be pretty comfortable with just the 2x12. Outside I have an extra 1x12 with a v30 I could run with my 2x12 with GBs (both 8 ohm cabs)
Yes, use your head of course, but you should be fine. Just make sure the 1-12" has the same ohm reading as the 2-12" cab. I try to keep all my cabs at 16 ohm, so I don't make mistakes and I can run any 2 at 8 ohm's. Your V30 is rated at 60w, you can push that even harder than the GB cab.

Latest posts