Pre amp settings

• Thread starter Richardjordan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Richardjordan

Reaction score
Hi,

I am now chuffed as I have just purchased a TSL60 + M412.

My question is that because 60w is pretty loud, what is the best way to get the amps best full bodied sound at low volumes? Am I correct to think that if I turn the channel volumes to nearly maximum then I will be driving the pre-amp valves so will get a great tone? Or do I need to get the tone from driving the the power amp (master volume)?

Sorry for the simple question :slash:

Richardjordan

Reaction score
I agree with you there. I was more asking about playing at home. We gig quite a bit so I'm looking forward to cranking things up but I had read somewhere that driving the pre amps as apposed to the master volume gets the valves going? I don't really understand these things other than I bloody love the Marshall tone :thumb:

Thanks for your reply.

bulldozer1984

Everybody's Favorite Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with you there. I was more asking about playing at home. We gig quite a bit so I'm looking forward to cranking things up but I had read somewhere that driving the pre amps as apposed to the master volume gets the valves going? I don't really understand these things other than I bloody love the Marshall tone :thumb:

Thanks for your reply.

First of all, to get the pre-amp clipping, you crank the gain. (I personally dont like too much gain though)

If you want to get the power section going, you need volume !! And lots of it.

If you want to get good tone at low volumes, crank the bass and the mids up and then set treble to taste.

It doesnt matter if you are playing with channel volume on 2 and master on 8 or the other way around. Same shit

maxxi

Reaction score
just set your master volume above 4. that seems to be the point my TSL 100 starts to open up. and don't bother with poweramp distortion, it starts around 8 on the master volume and doesn't make a world of difference with the TSL. just a little more bite but nothing life changing like with a plexi style amp.

just my 2 cents

Richardjordan

Reaction score
...many thanks for both inputs...i'll have a play with the eq and volume.

Thanks again.