Preamp Tubes? - Who, What, When, Where, Why, and How?

• Thread starter joshuaaewallen
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
I went to Tulsa more than OKC. Our band was called Pure Grain.

I had my 21st birthday at Cain's Ballroom.

There used to be a show on OKC TV called "The Scene" that came on before American Bandstand. I believe it was KOMA TV (been a long time). We got to play on that show. That was a lot of fun. I think it was 1974. I was nineteen.

It was hosted by long time OKC WKY DJ Ronnie Kaye.

Ronnie used to book us all over Oklahoma for sock hops and Frat parties.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
I got a buddy that is a solid player that lives in Tulsa. His name is David DuVal. He is the lead guitarist for the Tyler King Band.

Also plays with Soulshine.

Last edited:

hacksaw

Reaction score
I got a buddy that is a solid player that lives in Tulsa. His name is David DuVal. He is the lead guitarist for the Tyler King Band.

Also plays with Soulshine.

Dude!! no way! I grew up with David and his brother whos name escapes me at the moment, kenny? as well. LOL, who is even better than David. I think he is in new york last I heard.

I'll look him up I didn't know he was in Tulsa! Been a long time since I've talk with him. how cool man.. Thanks for mentioning him! LOL.. how freaking cool is that?!

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
Well I was in a short lived band with David in 1983. That was when we were all living in the Blackwell, Tonkawa and Ponca City area. David lived in Ponca. Did you know him back then?

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
I can't remember David's bother's name. I remember that he and David used to play together. His brother started out on bass and was an awesome bass player.

(His sister was a knock-out...too.)

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
Hacksaw, I thought your name was familiar. I had to look it up. You're Rik. We both used to own a Twister. Ha ha.

Good to see ya back over here.

hacksaw

Reaction score
Well I was in a short lived band with David in 1983. That was when we were all living in the Blackwell, Tonkawa and Ponca City area. David lived in Ponca. Did you know him back then?

Heck ya.. My old stomping grounds.. Larry popplin, Jeff probst from ark city, me of course, and at the time joel from ark city who had a construction accident and died.. weirndess on that,, and 5 other drummers made trix. We traveled the mid USA a lot. 1979-1984 then jeff probst left for tv.

ya kenny is his brother, killer bassist and is living the dream in new york from what I hear. man I really wonder if we ever ran across each other! we've played a lot of outdoor events around the area. LOL wow this is trippy man.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would be cool if you guys actually had a face to face conversation years ago...

Too cool.

hacksaw

Reaction score
Hacksaw, I thought your name was familiar. I had to look it up. You're Rik. We both used to own a Twister. Ha ha.

Good to see ya back over here.

Did he like his?

Thanks Marty! nice to hang here.. still lightly reading.. :)

Oh Solarburn, LOL.. the first one was Ok.. the second one was pure hell. and i apologized to marty big time. :D

It would be amazing if we did meet face to face back then! Can't see how we could of missed each other LOL

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
Did you ever play the Sand Bar in Ark City (located by the river)?

Did you know Waddy Pass from Ponca?

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Marty! nice to hang here.. still lightly reading.. :)

Oh Solarburn, LOL.. the first one was Ok.. the second one was pure hell. and i apologized to marty big time. :D

I remember now.LOL

Shit happens man. I know!

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm willing to bet you guys could have actually met.LOL

Gonna be great if something sparks and you both recall it...

hacksaw

Reaction score
Did you ever play the Sand Bar in Ark City (located by the river)?

Did you know Waddy Pass from Ponca?

I wonder if he was the same waddy that played in a country band i was in ( for two weeks, 100 bucks a night and 10 of us splitting it) LOL Played with riply didnt he? you know Dickie sims? he just passed away a few weeks ago.

Just found David's info. I wouldn't have known him if I walked passed him. He was a Zepplin freak last I knew. he seems to be in the country scene having fun (from the pictures) which is too cool. :)

Don't remember playing the sand bar, Uh, was there was a green lantern.. winfield? or was that north Ark city? we played in north Ponca off hiway 77, just to the east, again the name evades me, 600 a night and all the drink free,, explains my memory problem eh? HAH, Oh and cassiopias when it came to be. do you remember the Paul Harvey story on Cassiopias? ( would of been early 80's) LMAO!!

hacksaw

Reaction score
I remember now.LOL

Shit happens man. I know!

HAHAH.. yeap.. that was some messed up shit.. :D Funny now though.

Well if we never met in person, we probably were within 50 feet of each other at some point in time.

No doubt! quite amazing! Nice to meet you Marty! I'd like to chat with ya on the phone for about 30 minutes one of these days. All the way back to the WKY shows! There are ties.

You ever know a guy named Gary Minner? monster bass player.

This guy look familiar? LOL Ignore that POS amp in the upper right. LMAO

Last edited:

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oooh...got a couple Elmwoods dere! Nice.

Oh not to mention the man cave! Is all that in there yours?

Good to meet ya Hacksaw!

hacksaw

Reaction score
Good to meet you solarburn! this has been fun! ol marty probably running away now after seeing my mug LOL! Yes,, that is my man cave! All is mine. I have more marshalls.. that's where my heart is.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
I remember the Green Door in Ark City, but I don't think they ever had live music. I've been to Winfield many, many times. (I still go to the big Winfield Walnut River Music Festival in September.)

Yes, I can't remember the name of the place in North Ponca, but it used to be quite popular. Pretty good sized place if I recall. $600 a night sounds about right for that place. I seem to recall that the owner was from old Kaw City. Didn't the road out in the front of the club take you to new Kaw City?

And you must be referring to "Herpeopias." To be honest, I only went over there maybe a dozen times when it was hopping. I was dating a really pretty girl at the time, so I really didn't need to go over there to "hook up" and catch the clap.